New 3 way switch is junk

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Bartholomew3, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

68 tele original switch works better than the new one I bought so put the original back with new pots.

Another example - don't make them like they used to... That old switch is really solid, has a great spring instead of tinny parts and clicks right into position.

Brand new switch from Fender - piece of slop, no precision, like a shifter on an old British car from the fifties.

Have a 250K tele pot dated from 1966 if anyone is interested. Don't understand why people buy them on eBay except maybe to counterfeit vintage guitars so I would probably never sell it anyways.

2. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The old switch is probably a CRL. The new Fender is probably an Oak Grigsby.

Love the CRL's, not a fan of the OG's.

And I know, made by the same company.

Grux likes this.
  3. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

CRL still made in the US of A by Electroswitch. Oak-Grigsby now produced in their Mexican factory.
    It's a shame CRL only make 3 and 5 way, the 4 way and super switches are Oak technology.
    The Fender Pure Vintage switches are CRL, Fender part numbers 0038993049 for the 3 way and 00038929049 for the 5 way.

Grux and 1955 like this.
  4. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Good info from Tuxedo Poly as usual. Just redid a harness last night, a lot of times it's the switch

Grux likes this.
  5. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Strange on the Oak 3-way to be sloppy like that. I have 3 or 4 of their 4-way switches installed and all are very tight.
    Same with the Triton brand from Fender and other sources.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.