'New' 2001 Midnight Wine Mexican Strat

naneek

Tele-Holic
I had been searching for about 5 years looking for a nice mexican stratocaster with a rosewood fretboard for under $500, and I finally found it.

I used to have an American 1994 40th anniversary strat in Caribbean mist with a pale stripey rosewood fretboard. It was a beautiful guitar, but I parted ways with it about 10 years ago. I found I missed it, and knowing that my amp loves strats, went in search of a cheaper replacement.

The mexican strat is a perfect replacement. The fretboard looks and feels exactly the same, pale stripey rosewood polished to a shine, with no noticeable grain texture. The mexican strat is lighter and more comfortable, and the metallic paintjob reminds me of the one I used to have. It feels like the same guitar, but better.

This guitar is really sweet. It's in great shape, whoever owned this was very careful with it. No noticeable wear, only two tiny dings, and a few subtle marks on the end of the headstock, probably from trading paint with doorframes.

It's all stock with no modifications, and the original fender hard case. It's currently wearing vintage style bridge saddles and firm springs, but the original parts are in the hard case.

The body feels like it's on the petite side, which is nice. Or maybe it's just that my shoulders are a lot wider than they were last time I owned a strat.

The pickups sound incredibly sweet, very full and flattering with a nice sort of shimmer to them. Less bitey and quacky, more smooth and sweet. The neck pickup is fantastic, sweet and rich, very bluesy classic strat tone. In general the guitar sounds more bluesy than surfy, but I'll figure out how to make it surf. I already got that reverb drip dialed in with my amp, just need to get back my tremolo picking muscle memory, and my old surf licks.

It just feels great to play, very comfortable, and sounds very expressive and effortless. Like my old strat, it makes me play a lot differently than I do on my teles, 50s hollowbodies, and humbucker guitars. This is the main reason I wanted it.

I'll take some photos with my amp and setup, but for now, here's a little peek of the guitar hanging out in its case.

I had to get a few photos because the sun hit it just right for the metallic flake to pop.
strat in case.jpg

body.jpg

fingerboard.jpg

It's going to look great next to my metallic red 1998 Fender Toronado.

Blackmore Fan

Friend of Leo's
I had been searching for about 5 years looking for a nice mexican stratocaster with a rosewood fretboard for under $500, and I finally found it.

I used to have an American 1994 40th anniversary strat in Caribbean mist with a pale stripey rosewood fretboard. It was a beautiful guitar, but I parted ways with it about 10 years ago. I found I missed it, and knowing that my amp loves strats, went in search of a cheaper replacement.

The mexican strat is a perfect replacement. The fretboard looks and feels exactly the same, pale stripey rosewood polished to a shine, with no noticeable grain texture. The mexican strat is lighter and more comfortable, and the metallic paintjob reminds me of the one I used to have. It feels like the same guitar, but better.

This guitar is really sweet. It's in great shape, whoever owned this was very careful with it. No noticeable wear, only two tiny dings, and a few subtle marks on the end of the headstock, probably from trading paint with doorframes.

It's all stock with no modifications, and the original fender hard case. It's currently wearing vintage style bridge saddles and firm springs, but the original parts are in the hard case.

The body feels like it's on the petite side, which is nice. Or maybe it's just that my shoulders are a lot wider than they were last time I owned a strat.

The pickups sound incredibly sweet, very full and flattering with a nice sort of shimmer to them. Less bitey and quacky, more smooth and sweet. The neck pickup is fantastic, sweet and rich, very bluesy classic strat tone. In general the guitar sounds more bluesy than surfy, but I'll figure out how to make it surf. I already got that reverb drip dialed in with my amp, just need to get back my tremolo picking muscle memory, and my old surf licks.

It just feels great to play, very comfortable, and sounds very expressive and effortless. Like my old strat, it makes me play a lot differently than I do on my teles, 50s hollowbodies, and humbucker guitars. This is the main reason I wanted it.

I'll take some photos with my amp and setup, but for now, here's a little peek of the guitar hanging out in its case.

I had to get a few photos because the sun hit it just right for the metallic flake to pop.
View attachment 1055963
View attachment 1055961
View attachment 1055962
It's going to look great next to my metallic red 1998 Fender Toronado.

What a beautiful Strat! I've always liked that color!

naneek

Tele-Holic
Thanks everybody! I am really enjoying it, and getting a lot of play time.
It wasn't easy to get a good clear picture amidst the tangle of cables and living room furniture, but here are my best attempts.

My most frequently used setup. Usually I plug directly into my 90s peavey delta blues 2x10. This amp loves strats.

I also have an old digital rack reverb and delay multi-effect unit. It really has that bright 80's early digital studio sound, which goes great with the stratocaster.
strat1.jpg

The guitar is in great shape. The color is very dark, and the look changes a lot depending on the light.
strat2.jpg

No fret or fretboard wear that I can detect. Whoever had this guitar before me was very careful with it.
strat3.jpg

And just for fun, here's the effect selector on my reverb unit. I mainly use the reverb and delays, but the other effects are also fun especially in stereo. Where else can you get reverse gated reverb these days? There is a second rotary knob that gives you 14 preset patches for each effect. It's a lot of fun. lots of great sounds and no time wasted programming or tweaking.
presets!.jpg

naneek

Tele-Holic
I'm also really enjoying the slim c neck, and getting a lot of benefit from alternating this guitar with my chunky necked telecasters. In general I prefer a chunkier neck because I play with kind of a chicago blues form, wrapping my palm around the back of the neck for support and fretting the low e with my thumb most of the time. Switching to the strat encourages me to play with my fretting hand in the classical form, arched away from the neck and supported only with the thumb against the back of the neck.

It's really helping with wrist and tendon pain, switching up my form is probably reducing on repetitive strain.

naneek

Tele-Holic
Gorgeous! My favorite Strat is a 2016 Custom Shop Robin Trower signture in Midnight Wine Burst. I lean to maple necks, so there is a bit of a difference.

2017-02-01%2017.21.56_HDR-natural2-L.jpg
That looks really nice. I think my solid color midnight wine is the same color as the dark edge of your burst, but the brighter center of the burst looks about like mine does when the metal flake catches the light. The abalone fret dots are a nice touch.