New 1960 Telecaster owner

Antoon

Tele-Afflicted
The 5 screw pickguard intrigues me. Is that because it is lefthanded? The right handed model switched to 8 screw guards two years earlier. Those lefthanded models also have this weird upsidedown bridge plate. Very cool guitar

Last edited:

pbenn

Tele-Afflicted
Teles went steel slugs in '55, I believe, with the threaded stock appearing a couple of years later?
Neat guitar.
If you decide on a rewind and the big shops are too backlogged, 12th fret is doing rewinds but I have no actual knowledge of how they are.

Speaking of backlogs... Walmart dot ca is carrying a full page of medium quality luthier tools now.

Plarchetele

TDPRI Member
The 5 screw pickguard intrigues me. Is that because it is lefthanded? The right handed model switched to 8 screw guards two years earlier. Those lefthanded models also have this weird upsidedown bridge plate. Very cool guitar
I honestly don't know why it only has the 5 screws, but likely because they did lefty's in such small quantities, they didn't get around to updating the specs on it.

Plarchetele

TDPRI Member
Teles went steel slugs in '55, I believe, with the threaded stock appearing a couple of years later?
Neat guitar.
If you decide on a rewind and the big shops are too backlogged, 12th fret is doing rewinds but I have no actual knowledge of how they are.

Speaking of backlogs... Walmart dot ca is carrying a full page of medium quality luthier tools now.
Thanks for the tip. Not too many Canadian shops that specialize in vintage gear. I really like the sound of the pickup and will likely leave it as it is for now until it gets unmanageable. I'll likely try securing the pickup baseplate with wax as suggested.

milocj

Friend of Leo's
Thanks Antoon,

So I assume you take the baseplate off, melt a few drops of wax and put it back on?

You don't even actually have to go that far. There's a ground wire that is soldered to the baseplate and you can gently lift one end of the plate enough to get a drop or two of wax in between. I found some beeswax at the local craft store that come in what are basically "drops" and it works great. Some gentle heat with a hair dryer and your done.

d barham

Tele-Afflicted
Congrats mate, that's a lovely old Tele! As is Barham's too, it has to be mentioned...

Aw shucks, you didn’t have to. I always hesitate to post a photo of my guitar in someone else’s NGD thread. The OP’s ‘60 lefty is the real rare bird here. And, it’s a beauty.