New 1960 Telecaster owner

Plarchetele

TDPRI Member
I recently plunged and finally purchased my first vintage guitar, a left-handed 1960-61 telecaster and mostly original condition. The guitar plays and sounds great. The bridge pickup is microphonic particularly to touch (tapping the guitar, even turning the volume up all the way creates a "click"). That being said, it sounds great. Not sure if potting it will help, but I'd prefer not to have to switch it out. The other question is the pickguard only has the 5 screws and is buckling up a bit on the top and bottom. I see many 1960's with 7 screws. Will putting extra screws affect the value of the guitar? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
Welcome aboard!

Any changes will affect the value. Assuming the PUs are original, I wouldn't even pot them if you are concerned with re-sale value. Technically, even de-soldering can affect value which would also be necessary. How much? That depends on the potential buyer. Maintaining originality with vintage guitars can drive a tinkerer nuts.

Welcome to the squirrely world of vintage guitars. ;)

Indeed, we do require pix!!

Last edited:

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
I recently plunged and finally purchased my first vintage guitar, a left-handed 1960-61 telecaster and mostly original condition. The guitar plays and sounds great. The bridge pickup is microphonic particularly to touch (tapping the guitar, even turning the volume up all the way creates a "click"). That being said, it sounds great. Not sure if potting it will help, but I'd prefer not to have to switch it out. The other question is the pickguard only has the 5 screws and is buckling up a bit on the top and bottom. I see many 1960's with 7 screws. Will putting extra screws affect the value of the guitar? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Imo, the best sounding Tele bridge pickups are a little microphonic. Otherwise, it’s just another “Electric guitar”.

Plarchetele

TDPRI Member
IMG_2039.jpeg
IMG_2040.jpeg
IMG_2041.jpeg

Old Plank

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Nice, Congrats! The pickguard buckling sure isn't noticeable from the pics at least; I have one with a way way worse pickguard ('66 Firebird with broken corners screwed down and substantial discoloration) and just leave it as is ... 'it is what it is!' (an old guitar)

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
Nice, Congrats! The pickguard buckling sure isn't noticeable from the pics at least; I have one with a way way worse pickguard ('66 Firebird with broken corners screwed down and substantial discoloration) and just leave it as is ... 'it is what it is!' (an old guitar)
Indeed! This is what we call patina. Patina is the secret sauce & pixie dust that makes vintage instruments desirable to collectors. Perfect closet queens will likely never be played once uncovered. Guitars with wear and patina will be played.

Old Plank

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Indeed! This is what we call patina. Patina is the secret sauce & pixie dust that makes vintage instruments desirable to collectors. Perfect closet queens will likely never be played once uncovered. Guitars with wear and patina will be played.
Yes! The Firebird mentioned looks like bright red alligator hide, and gets played out often.

d barham

Tele-Afflicted
Looks like an early 60. Do you mind sharing the first two digits of your serial number? I understand if you don’t. My 60 has an eight screw pickguard.

skunqesh

Tele-Afflicted
Just Beautiful!
and my unsolicited 2c - keep it as original as possible - value will likely be subjective for any number of reason, but history is the view I'm coming from.

Re: The microphonic pickup - this is sort of a common problem for aging 60s era Fender pups.
If it gets out of control or desired tone / functionality goes out - it is not the worst thing in the world to have it rewound (again, just to restore full functionality).

I've had a few vintage Fender bridge pups rewound to original specs by Lindy Fralin - (caveat - I'm not sure if he's still taking them in or not? at one point afew years back he said he was farming them out) - at the time, if you requested he would reuse the original leads and cloth string wrap. fwiw, I always disclose to a new owner if anything's been modified or repaired - keep your receipts (a Fralin receipt at least shows you had it done 'right' :) )

d barham

Tele-Afflicted
The neck has Jan 61 date and body Nov 60. First two dgits are 62

Ok then, I guess it’s not early ‘60. My guess is that they had some five hole lefty guards left over when your guitar was assembled. Great looking tele. Just for reference, here’s mine…..

Attachments

• 6A658476-F137-4591-9AFF-4264CF3E8086.jpeg
    6A658476-F137-4591-9AFF-4264CF3E8086.jpeg
    197.9 KB · Views: 85