New “amp” day (Roland tone capsule)

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by markal, May 5, 2021.

1. markal

markal Tele-Afflicted

Found a New York Blues Tone Capsule on Reverb for a reasonable price. Got it today and played a bit with it in my Roland Blues Cube Artist. Sounds great! I guess this thing is supposed to be Vox-like. If so, I should try a Vox one of these days. Bright, but not ear piercing, and still has a good amount of thump. And the crunch and clean channels are well matched so I can use both.

It’s a keeper.

2. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Does it fit in a Tube Socket?

3. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

Nice grab!

4. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Thanks for the heads up on Reverb being a potential resource for finding these used. It looks like they are only 60% (or less) of the cost of new Tone Capsules, so that's VERY reasonable.

Personally, I wouldn't pay $300+ for a Tone Capsule, unless I could try it first in a store, because that's enough coin that it's almost like trying out a completely new amp. I don't think I'd even want to purchase one online at the new price, even if I could return it, if I didn't like it.

Anyway - would you say that with the New York Blues Tone Capsule installed that it sounds like a completely different amp? I'm just trying to gauge how profound of an effect these Tone Capsules have.

5. markal

markal Tele-Afflicted

Sort of, but the Blues Cubes are SS/digital amps. Pretty sure this is a bit of digital stuff that changes the tone stack and gain of the amp. It’s gimmicky (why not just build this into the amp?) and they’re too expensive, so I buy them used only

String Tree likes this.
  6. markal

markal Tele-Afflicted

It’s noticeable. I have the Ultimate Blue Tone Capsule as well. The UBTC takes the clean channel more toward a blackface Fender, more headroom, more scooped EQ, a little more glassy. Drive channel with UBTC is darker, too nasal and muted IMO. I never use the drive channel with the UBTC.

The NYBTC is a different beast. It makes the amp brighter, with a lot more sparkle. I will probably end up running middle and treble much lower with the NYBTC. I havent yet tried it with my bright guitars (Gretsch, tele). Headroom seems to be similar to the amp without tone capsules. And the best part, as opposed to the UBTC, the clean and crunch channels are tonally much more similar with the NYBTC. That makes the channels more usable from my standpoint.

I was somewhat interested in the Sparkle Clean tone capsule but several reviews say it’s even more scooped than the UBTC, so that won’t work for me.

And I totally agree that $300 for these things is crazy. The UBTC and NYBTC originally sold for $200 new, but I’ve spent $200 total for both of them.

Anacharsis likes this.
  7. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Wow, thanks for all the details. It's really helpful to me. I've been interested in the Blues Cubes for a few years now, but I don't really want a tweed emulation of anything. If a Tone Capsule could make it somewhat like either a Vox or some type of non-MV Marshall, that would grab my interest. But when I initially saw that they were ~$300, on top of an amp that's ~$1K+ new, that really turned me away.

So a used Blues Cube Artist, along with a used Tone Capsule, might give me something I'd want, at a price that would actually be attractive.

Last edited: May 6, 2021
  8. markal

markal Tele-Afflicted

No problem. You might also consider the Blues Hot. They had a couple of special runs of it that were meant to be more Vox or Marshall. They’re somewhat hard to find, but I saw one used on GC’s website recently. Also look at the Nextone amps.

9. ragingplatypi

ragingplatypi NEW MEMBER!

Apparently the Guitar Center Blue Cube Hot is supposed to be a 60's Marshall (KT66), while one's at other stores are doing the Vox thing (EL84). This was never promoted by Roland, but buried somewhere on the Guitar Center website.

10. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Holic

I found the New York Blues capsule new at Adorama, and it arrives on Saturday. Sounds great. I already have the Brith EL84 Modified version of the Blue sCube Hot. I put NY into my Blues Cube Tour head, and it sounds and feels great.

Tim S likes this.
  11. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Holic

The British EL84 Modified was, according to a person at Roland with whom I interacted, a non-US only offering to start. Then they made a short run of them for US stores, possibly by accident? (I never got the full answer there). And yes, the BOSS Drive Special sold at GC has a sort of Bluesbreaker thing going on. I've had all three Hots for years now, and over the past year picked up a couple of Tour heads cheap used, and three tone capsules (Ultimate Blues, Sparkle Clean, and now New York Blues). Blues Cubes work for me (as do Jazz Choruses and the THR100HD).

12. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Holic

I do not find the Sparkle Clean more scooped then the UBTC, btw. It's a rich clean, not a scooped clean to my ears.

Tim S likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.