Never tell someone about a guitar you want.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by leatherbound, Jan 10, 2011.

1. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Yes, but it makes an interesting finish to a bunch of threads about whether or not he will buy this guitar.

Leatherbound, you've been looking at this guitar and posting about it since before Christmas. As far as the store knew, you were never going to buy it. They cannot be faulted for selling it to someone with real money and real intent.

You started this thread at 8:25pm (your time), Monday, and yet at 2:45pm you were still posting in here asking about the price. How serious were you?

2. WaylonFan76

WaylonFan76 Poster Extraordinaire

The store stashed it away and told you "No one will know about it" and YOU'RE the one who told somebody about it...
    Anyway, I found a solution : tell the old man now that you are GASing for that really nice Gibson FirebirdX and how awesome it is...

3. Rokatt88

Rokatt88 Tele-Holic

:lol::lol::lol:

That'll fix him!

4. RebelTwang

RebelTwang Tele-Meister

out of curiosity, did you point blank ask him WHY he went and bought the guitar if he knew you wanted it? At least that would put an end to all the 2nd guessing............

5. bobthecanadian

bobthecanadian Tele-Afflicted

Sorry to hear about you loss... well, almost loss. Fact is if there was no money involved the store did what they had to do to stay in business... make sales. Sure, the old guy did something you don't agree with, but the situation is what it is. I hope you don't let it eat you up. I am sure you have 'real' friends and that there will be many other guitars in your life, too. Hang in there!

6. dugums

dugums Tele-Meister

This old guy actually just wanted a friend. He was so happy to finally talk to somebody, especially since he lost his wife a year ago. He went to the music store and bought you that pink paisley you were talking about so much. He was just giving you a hard time and was going to give you the guitar as a gift when he picked up his decals. Instead, you were a ***** on the phone so he used it as firewood. :)

7. leatherbound

leatherbound Tele-Meister

Ok, lets clarify some things.

1. I don't know why they had a brand new paisley. The store is in a very small town and owned by a married couple that have no kids. They are about 60. The woman said she always buys the paisleys for herselft because she really likes them.

2. Yes, I have been on here asking questions about the guitar since before Christmas. What is the big deal about that.

3. Seriousness. I was series enough to walk in there with the cash and was going to put some of the money down on it when I was told by the lady that owns it. "Don't worry bud, we are putting this guitar upstairs with the others and it will be there when you are ready." So I didn't put anything down on it. This was Saturday morning, Old dude bought it Saturday afternoon.

4. I told old dude that I was going in on monday to get it. This was on Saturday. The day he bought it. Old dude calls me several times to ask questions about it.

5. Old dude says "well, I know you want it so I won't buy it."

6. Old dude walks into the store and according to the store says "you got any paisley's" Out of no where. Store takes him up and shows him.

7. Old dude tells me after confrontation "well, I was trying to buy another guitar but they told me to buy this one because they said they didn't want you to have it." He then said "I am sorry, but I played you."

8. Buying the guitar now. It is a pride thing. I see that a lot of you don't get that. I wouldn't take the guitar now if he gave it to me. That guitar has bad vibes all over it. So that is my point with that.

9. I work for this store!! I give their lessons! Have for about 4 years now. So now I am wondering if one of my employers (the store) has issues with me. They don't seem to. So what I am trying to find out now is who is lying to who? Old man says the store is lying but I have known these people for years. I don't think they would lie to me.

10. I was as polite as polite can be when talking to old dude, no curse words, no raised voice. That isn't how I am.

11. I was able to look some stuff up on old dude. He has a nice rap sheet. Paying people with checks then putting stop payments on them.

So in closing as this is my last post about this subject. I learned my lesson the hard way. I should have went in with my $1000 and bought the 2008 paisley with G&G hardcase. But I didn't. I was led to believe that the guitar would be there. Why would I think any different? I have done this on probably 10 guitars at this store. Go in, they hold it with no money down. My fault for getting complacent. I just feel pretty betrayed right now. That is all. So, I will take my money and find something else.

Old dude played me, admitted he played me. Walked into the store with large bankroll. Eyes of the owners rolled in the back of their heads.

8. Bud Green

Bud Green Tele-Meister

So, it was YOU!

9. WaylonFan76

Wouldn't it be awesome if the old man was a TDPRI member ? :lol:

10. 1977CJ5

1977CJ5 Tele-Afflicted

OK... I don't get why you are mad at the guy (his age doesn't not matter, we will all be there, and we will still have GAS in our 70's) who bought it.

Seems to me the owner and your employer is who betrayed you. It's like guys who get mad at the dude that is having an affair with their wife or girl friend. You are mad at the wrong party.

11. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

If you don't need that job (money-wise) I'd bail if I were you. Don't burn any bridges and don't tell them the reason - just go.

I'd have explained to the old dude that had he been younger things would have a much different outcome.

Then ask if he needs help crossing the street...

12. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

See numbers 5 and 6 above.

Completely separate :

Walked into my favorite hole-in-the-wall used record store/radio and TV repair shop in about 1988 and was nearly bowled over by this kid running out.

Asked the owner what was the kid's deal - he said "he's running home for the $15 to buy that".

That was a 1959 Gibson GA20 tweed. The owner had dug it out of someone's garbage. Wasn't sure if it worked but all the tubes were there.

I said "that kid might not come back - take my $25 instead".

He said "Why of course !"

The amp worked.

Screamingly...:lol:

13. Progbusters

Progbusters Tele-Meister

never tell someone about the woman you want either

14. 1977CJ5

1977CJ5 Tele-Afflicted

Still say the buyer is irrelevant. The owner and employer made a promise to the OP. They were the last line of defense. They should have at least not sold the guitar without talking to the OP.

15. leatherbound

leatherbound Tele-Meister

1977 CJ5, I am mad at this guy because he didn't even know they had the guitar until I opened my big mouth. This guy called me saturday morning and started up a nice conversation. I thought I was getting a new friend out of this. He asked me up front if I had been looking at any guitars. I told him about this one. We get off the phone. He calls back in about 30 minutes to ask some more questions about the guitar. Saying that he would be interested but I had already told him I was going in Monday to get it. So what does he do? He goes and buys it. That is why I am mad. Maybe I shouldn't be, but I am. According to the store he left around 3pm. He called me at 3:18pm and told me about all the stuff he bought at the store EXCEPT THE GUITAR. Said he just wanted to call and shoot the breeze on the way home. Called me 3 times on Sunday and talked about ME BUYING THAT GUITAR! That is why I am mad. Did this guy just have some sick fetish? Why did he call me so much? But it is ok. I have talked to him since and I have caught him in MANY MANY lies.

I know I broke my silence and posted again.

Don't know if he is a member here or not. He told me over the weekend that he doesn't have a computer and doesn't know how to use the internet. Bet that was a lie too.

To all of you saying "whats the big deal?" Are you the kind of person that would do this? If you were talking with someone and they told you about something they wanted to buy and told them when you were going to buy it would you go buy it before them? That just seems rude to me. It may not to some but it does to me.

Ok, I gotta quit reading all these posts and move on!! I may need counseling and meds because of this ordeal!!

16. ggiles

ggiles Tele-Meister

I understand where you are coming from ... I wouldn't touch that guitar with a ten foot pole. All it would do is remind me of how I got screwed. How could you play music on that?
    I'd even find it really hard to buy anything at that store again.

I'd want to know from the owners ... who you work with and have known for some time ... why they would sell it out from under you. Especially since you have said you have done this many times before and have always paid up.
    If I didn't hear a good reason I'd consider taking your students else where.

17. WaylonFan76

The oposite argument is : they are a business, they need to pay the bills. I understand the concept of honesty and loyalty, I personnally would have held on to it, maybe taken the old man's info to let him know if OP wouldn't have bought the guitar in the end, but I understand how a bird in hand is more valuable than the same bird in the bush to certain people who run their business...

18. WaylonFan76

Anyway, I think we are starting to talk in circles. Sounds like this experience helped you eliminate some dead weight. Life lesson. End of story. Now go find a used AVRI 52 with that money. :D

19. Stuco

Stuco Poster Extraordinaire

"well, I was trying to buy another guitar but they told me to buy this one because they said they didn't want you to have it."

This is total bs, he is a liar and you already knew that. The store shouldn't have sold the guitar they said they would hold for you but that is the only thing they have done wrong.

Btw, there is no way I would buy it from that scam artist either.

20. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

If that's what he paid, he didn't get a very good deal. Unless they're '60s originals, then he got a great deal. But, of course, they're not.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.