1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Never stop searching for that perfect guitar!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by MAXXFIELD, Oct 12, 2020.

1. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

yeah, just a reminder, all this talk about the one guitar and having access to a digital photo producing device and yet, here we are, left to wonder if this isn't one more troll to get la gente, the vox populus, all stirred up and then left - just waiting for a picture.

I mean, I mean, you are saying this is the one guitar for which you sold the other one. But, hmmm, no photos.

matty428 likes this.
  2. MAXXFIELD

MAXXFIELD Tele-Meister

I already posted it in another thread. This isnt about ME, its about everyones thoughts on the topic.

3. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Exactly! I have exclaimed “this is the one, my forever guitar” many times. It is, until it isn’t. Then they’re sold, traded or sit in a case.

Then one day, enough is enough and you’re done. You didn’t find the “perfect guitar” you just reached a destination rather then the destination. I know what I like and I have that already.

I may buy another guitar but it won’t be in search of the perfect guitar. It will just be a different guitar.

4. teletimetx

Yeah, Ok. I took a look at that NGD, and you got one skimpy photo that is as much about the Kotzen tele as anything else and now you have unceremoniously dumped that tele.

But, if indeed you are 82, you get the diamond free pass, amigo. Better you should be playing the guitar than taking pictures of it, yes?

For me, there's just too many guitars out there to think I'll ever find the "one". I have enough around the house to play whatever I want. Over the last five years, I have been reducing the inventory, plus I have two grandsons that I hope will take up music, one way or another.

Congrats on finding that one special guitar - for now...

5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I love searching.
    I think I’ve found them.
    I’ll keep looking to make sure.

TeleGASter, SAguitar and Balinus like this.
  6. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

Most people here won't know what to do if they found the perfect guitar. I keep several perfect guitars on hand just in case . . . ;>)

Martian and teletail like this.
  7. Henley

Henley Tele-Holic

+1

naveed211 likes this.
  8. MAXXFIELD

MAXXFIELD Tele-Meister

Seems we've got off to the wrong foot? I came here in peace. Not sure why you're so upset here.

9. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I don't look for one perfect guitar, so much as maybe build up a collection ( with me and $$, this is slow!) of really just one representative of my fave vintage-style guitars, acoustics and electrics.
    So one Strat, one Tele, Dano, SG, Martin etc,, ( pretty much to stock pickups/controls), and will just keep working on this path. A P-90 and Nylon string are next, maybe...

I'm my situation most are cheaper imports, but great-sounding/set-up players.
    I just bring one guitar to a gig, and with good pickups in all positions, I just pick what I feel like playing, for kicks. ( it's all old easy R&R/blues/ Country)

10. teletimetx

Sorry. That’s my off-kilter sense of humor.

Not upset at all - still glad you found your perfect guitar.

MAXXFIELD likes this.
  11. kohoutec

kohoutec Tele-Meister

I think there will always be a compromise no matter how small.
    Turns out the nearest thing to a perfect guitar for me is this black Gordon Smith on the right.

There's just something about it, I can't quite put my finger on it, but it's there.

Now...I always thought my perfect guitar was some kind of telecaster until I found this... Is it perfect? Nope, it's heavier than I would like, and I'm not even that keen on matte black. But out of all the guitars I've owned (or own), this is the one that does it for me. Plays beautifully, sounds amazing, and just feels like home.

It's got non original pickups, it originally had black hardware, and the wiring has been completely redone... So it took a while to get where I wanted it, but regardless I knew pretty quickly after getting it that it would be a keeper.
    Have I stopped looking for 'The One'? Kinda. I've stopped looking for a guitar that would replace this as my #1, but I'm always still looking out for something that might compliment it (although 6 guitars should really be enough for anyone.) PXL_20200923_141322235.NIGHT.jpg

Chevalier and MAXXFIELD like this.
  12. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

There is only a perfect guitar for a point in time. As your tastes and your playing change, your definition of perfect changes. I payed a strat for 10 years, it was the perfect guitar. I played a Les Paul Recording guitar, perfect. I played a Custom Shop Les Paul, perfect. I played a Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion III, perfect. Now I play a Doc Fisher Tele, perfect.

The Strat was perfect for blues. Les Paul Recording model, perfect for Rockabilly. Custom Shop Les Paul perfect for classic rock. Howard Roberts Fusion was perfect for jazzy blues. Doc fisher is perfect for the more country oriented style I'm playing.

black_doug likes this.
  13. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Friend of Leo's

I own 54 +/- guitars/ basses as ND acoustics.

For ME, the is no one PERFECT do all of guitar.

I have to a lot of great guitars the do their own thing.

I have my own personal guitar shop in my home studio.

What ever style of music I need to cover, I have the perfect guitar for the job in there somewhere.

14. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

When folks say they want a "Do All Guitar" I am reminded of the age old quote.

"Jack Of All Trades Master Of None".

Gary

15. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

Allow me to oblige.....

IMG_20180919_153356.jpg
    But I did swap out the pups n put in a 4 way switch.

This was MY perfect guitar, 4 guitars ago.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    Fiesta Red, SAguitar and teletimetx like this.
  16. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

Hahaha.....

Perfect...... until the next PERFECT guitar comes along.

Surely you get it by now? The grass is always greener on the other side.

17. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I have about 6 or 7 perfect guitars, but I guess I have a different definition of the term. A wider nut might be nice I guess (still haven't tried a 1.75" nut), but I don't have a preferred neck shape or radius, nor do I really get hung up on the nut width. Or have a definition of a perfect body shape or sound.

18. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

That's usually how searches wind down.

You've only got 24 hours in a day, and the law of diminishing returns sets in as you search for guitars when you've got other things to do, and the existing guitar(s) are close enough to perfect, that you could end up with an "imperfect life" while struggling to find that next one (which is never the last one).

Multiples of guitars does not = multiples of girlfriends.

In my experience, this is more like one is your dentist and one is your favorite sushi chef and another is your veterinarian and one is your accountant and one is your dry cleaners and one is your biking partner and one is your minister and one is your......

You get the idea.

MAXXFIELD likes this.
  19. MAXXFIELD

MAXXFIELD Tele-Meister

Thats kind of true... but I specifically never cared about specs and gear for years... I had a strat that worked and no one ever complained. It wasn't til I was working at Guitar Center past two years and really got into individual specs. I think I'm in a much more reasoned/grounded perfect guitar place now.

20. MAXXFIELD

MAXXFIELD Tele-Meister

For me it feels like this. But I grew up POOOOOOOOR LOL

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.