Never say my condolences again.

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
I've said words of comfort as I am able, when I am able. We've had a bunch of deaths, recently. In the extended family, an in-law a year ago and an uncle a few weeks back. Another uncle died yesterday, unexpectedly, but fortunately my wife and MIL got to see him a few weeks ago. Not a recent death, but a few weeks back there was a bit of closure for an extended family niece who'd been missing in Alaska for two years. They caught the alleged perp, now charged with kidnapping, torture, murder, tampering with evidence. It was random and she just happened to be walking down the sidewalk.

We come. We go. Let's be good to ourselves and each other while we're here.
I do my best. Except with this thread i shouldn't have started, but it is here. I apologyse if my words were not the best chosen ones.

We are there to take care of each others, even this old foreign lady who asked me to buy her chicken thighs and then pointed to me for the whole chicken which cost the price of a pack of camels, the smokes not the animal. I sort of resented her for doing that, but if you have got to do it, you are in a pretty bad place. I hope someone will get me a chicken if i become homeless.

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
I do my best. Except with this thread i shouldn't have started, but it is here. I apologyse if my words were not the best chosen ones.

We are there to take care of each others, even this old foreign lady who asked me to buy her chicken thighs and then pointed to me for the whole chicken which cost the price of a pack of camels, the smokes not the animal. I sort of resented her for doing that, but if you have got to do it, you are in a pretty bad place. I hope someone will get me a chicken if i become homeless.
It’s good to talk about these things

This reminds me the other day when we were talking about cremation and different routes of resting after this earthly plain, I was telling my dad about the record and tree option

He said, “I don’t want to talk about it! That’s morbid”

My point being that as westerners we’ve become so detached from death, we should be able to talk about it as it’s inevitable and is going to happen to everyone

It doesn’t have to be scary or bad

That being said I don’t always react as expected and have Trouble myself

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire

This reminds me the other day when we were talking about cremation and different routes of resting after this earthly plain, I was telling my dad about the record and tree option

My point being that as westerners we’ve become so detached from death, we should be able to talk about it as it’s inevitable and is going to happen to everyone

I am not afraid of death, it just has got to be not painful. But what lies beyond, or doesn't lie beyond is interesting. Maybe i will be an angel or something, or come to haunt my favorite places, or it will be just like sleeping except the alarm clock doesn't ring ?

I can go for that last option !

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire

Then again if your dad goes the cremation route, you can always press him into a morbid record. Morbid, the band. That would be morbid. I m just having a little bit of fun with a non funny topic, don't take it wrong.

edit this only thing we have left is to laugh in the face of death and remember good times. And bad times.

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member

No worries. You said what was on your mind and that created some good conversation.

fjblair

Tele-Afflicted
I'm pretty sure I have never said "my condolences" because it sounds kind of awkward. I just say "I'm so sorry" etc. I also don't say "...for your loss", because it also sounds awkward. You don't "lose" someone that dies.

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
On Sunday I did tell a friend of mine I was sorry he lost his sister. She was 86 years old. I told him I had seen her notice on the funeral home's website and that there was a very becoming picture of her from when she was a young, blue-eyed blonde. (She's rather attractive in this picture.)

He smiled and told us that his dad kept a shotgun handy for when the boys came calling.

Synchro

Tele-Holic
I am not afraid of death, it just has got to be not painful. But what lies beyond, or doesn't lie beyond is interesting. Maybe i will be an angel or something, or come to haunt my favorite places, or it will be just like sleeping except the alarm clock doesn't ring ?

I can go for that last option !
I came close to dying, in my teens. I had a raging abdominal infection and the doctors were not optimistic. I went to sleep that night, expecting that I might not survive the night. Obviously, I did survive, and my life changed after experiencing this.

It was like night and day. My perspective changed and I learned to be more optimistic and positive than I ever had been before. To this day, I don’t fear death, but that is not to be confused with a death wish. Like so many challenges in life, once you face it, it becomes less scary. I believe in more than this life, but I don‘t believe in eternal torment in Hell. I’m optimistic.