Never really into the vintage stuff, but that Tele left a hole in my heart.

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by dreamingtele, Mar 28, 2018.

1. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

So, yeah, like the title, I was never really into vintage stuff. playability issues, crazy expensive prices, but when I visited one store here, I was handed an early 70's telecaster.

Now, I never really liked telecasters in Natural, and have a strong preference on rosewood boards. but man, the guitar sounded beautifully and a very good twangy bridge without the icepick. I dont believe in the magic of vintage guitars, but that one played sweet. I know 70's were the lowest times of Fender but that tele was well built, tight pocket, good weight, vintage frets in good condition, low action, and apparently, set up really well.

also priced competitively which made me think of getting it or a custom shop Fender. Not that I have the money or anything, but I started saving up for a once in a lifetime purchase of a high end tele. I can save up for a 70's guitar, but can never afford any 50-60's.. I may even consider japanese fenders/copies to see if they're up to the hype.

Anyway, I looked up a few 70's teles on sale around here and almost all are in blonde-maple or natural-maple necks.. Like I said, im partial to rosewood boards. but I dont often see a 70's tele in a nice color other than black, white/blonde/olympic white, with a rosewood board neck. Did Fender do any color other than those I mentioned? and are rosewood boards common during that time or a rarity due to the CBS takeover?

Tonemonkey likes this.
  2. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Scroll down for complete info on available colors throughout Fender's history.

http://www.guitarhq.com/fenderc.html

By 1970 the standard Fender Tele color was blonde.
    ALL other colors were "custom" colors (even sunburst).
    Yes most teles from these periods were (after blond),black,olympic white and sunburst.
    I've have seen plenty of rosewood board 70s teles so I don't think they were less rare (still they do fetch a higher price).

3. dreamingtele

Thanks for this info! Will read this!

4. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

You know, I prefer rosewood boards as well, but if I was blindfolded and handed a maple neck, I don't think I would notice the difference.

5. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Yeah ... The old guitars are a bit hit or miss. I recently tried a 69 tele that was pretty meh. So on average I think that a used CS guitar is a cheaper and safer bet

But if you find one of the great ones like you did, then jump at it :)

6. dreamingtele

I wouldnt notice it too! I dont dislike maple necks, but rosewood is where its at for me right now. I've used a few tele's with maple necks.

This is actually what I'm thinking. I like building my own guitars from parts. It would be really hard for me to find a U-nocaster neck with a rosewood board in the color that I like.. or even just a fat profile.. Besides, CS guitars are abundant here used, its just a matter of trying them out and coming up with the money to buy them. :)

7. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I played a '73 Thinline with WR humbuckers last September at GC in Rancho Cucamonga CA. It was in good condition for vintage but needed some attention of the luthier. The dig on the front didn't affect anything. If anything, it added character. The Thinline must have been refretted at some point because the wear on the fretboard didn't match the fret wear. It produced amazing sounds through DRRI and AC15 amps. Bright treble from the bridge without even a hint of muddiness and excellent clarity from the pickups played together. The neck pickup was spot on for finger style vocal accompaniment with the treble rolled off. The price was fair but more than I'd consider spending on a guitar. And that's the problem with vintage. I'm not a collector with money to burn. I make a good living, but not playing. My most expensive guitar wasn't cheap but it was less than half the asking price for the Thinline. In the end, reason won out over desire, but it's really nice to be able to find the occasional gem in a store where I can sit down and play for the sheer enjoyment of it. I know there are builders and CS aficionados here but vintage can't be built.

Twisted Kerle likes this.
  8. dreamingtele

Its awesome isnt it? The store owner who handed the telecaster to me said to never buy CS crap (as he said it), as it can never get as close to the vintage feel. get the real deal instead. I know he's just trying to make a sale, but the way I look at it, we are in the golden time of guitars where even the cheapest guitar is consistent next to another, build quality and process have improved and more guitars at different price points. it didnt dissuade me from buying a CS or a boutique builder where attention to detail is where your money goes with the added bonus of being the first owner or a second, and knowing it's history..

It was my first time holding a real vintage tele, and the charm of old wood.. I know I can get the best of both worlds by getting a Ron Kirn made from old wood, plus attention to detail for less than half the price of that vintage tele.

So, yeah, I was just wondering about the colors and why is that its very rare to find cool colors for 70's fenders.

JL_LI likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.