1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Never owned a 5E3 tweed deluxe. Am I missing out?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by noname_dragon, Jan 29, 2021.

1. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

I had a lot of fun playing rock songs through a 5e3 with a Les Paul, it has an amazing distortion.

That being said, I otherwise prefer my AC15. With the Vox, I got a better range of sounds from clean to crunch to distortion by riding the volume knob (but the 5e3 has the better 'all out distortion').

mojek and noname_dragon like this.
  2. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

I built a couple of 5e3 amps to find out what all the fuss was about. They got sold as soon as I built a Princeton Reverb with fat transformers and a 12" speaker. You have to be able to turn a 5e3 up to get the best from it, and as a living room player I could never get one to break up and still keep the neighbors happy. I didn't care much for the cleans either. I prefer a Blackface tone, it's a better pedal platform.

That said, I'm in the middle of building a brownface Deluxe. I have no idea what I'm going to do with it when it's finished!

noname_dragon and Fluddman like this.
  3. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

I have a 5E3 and a 5E8 (40w low powered vintage twin, as they are often called).

5E8 is a wayyyyyyy better amp imo.
    IMG_20191024_221033.jpg
    IMG_20200216_131918.jpg
    IMG_20191024_164952.jpg

4. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

For a telecaster?
    If you want the best clean tone possible definitely yes.
    Throughout the years I have owned almost every amp on earth :) including vintage Fender blackface and silverface amps in all configurations and no amp can compete with a tweed deluxe in the clean department with a telecaster.
    The enhanced mids of the amp are a match made in heaven with the enhanced treble of a telecaster.
    It is also one of the best pedal platforms out there.
    It does the crunchy thing great too of course though I never really utilize my tweed deluxe in this manner.

RomanS and noname_dragon like this.
  5. Ronno25

Ronno25 TDPRI Member

I just built a clone. It sounds fantastic. The way I've been using it is to plug the strat in to input 1 and turn volume 1 and tone to max and volume 2 to 75%. Then use your guitar's volume to control the level of break up. The amp sounds super chimey and clear like this at low volumes and just destroys at high volumes. It's super dynamic like this with no pedals required.

If you set the amp's volumes to lower on the dial you do lose some treble and the sound is less interesting, albeit still good just not special. I don't think it's a one trick pony at all if you crank it and use the volume on your guitar. If you don't do this then you're going to get one sound and may get bored with it. My build uses 22uf filter caps and doesn't sound farty at all but still remains warm. I own a fair amount of vintage fenders and this clone is right up there in quality of sound if not better. Don't expect blackface/silverface cleans and spank.

In my opinion the key to the deluxe (or at least mine) and many other tube amps is to use the treble control to add harmonic richness to the tone. Past 75% on the dial the tone control doesn't make the amp brighter it just gives it a special sort of top end break up. This has been very important in making my deluxe sound good.

I haven't gigged it yet so I can't comment as to it's viability for keeping up with a band. Mine is pretty loud though. It's one step down from a deluxe reverb volume wise, more like a princeton reverb.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
    noname_dragon likes this.
  6. Ronno25

Ronno25 TDPRI Member

The Brown Deluxe is LOUD. Much louder than a 5e3. It's even more the type of amp that only sounds good cranked than a 5e3 is. But it sounds REALLY good when you let it loose. Kinda like a Marshall but with not as tight lows.

7. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

That's the thing about the 5E3. It's about as loud as you need to get cranked times, and the tones go from clean-with-hair to pushed pretty much on guitar volume to overdrive without massive volume list.

8. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

I’ve never even played one, but I say if you’re posting about it, I think you should go for it and try one out...only live once.

I did almost buy one recently. Like you I was extremely curious. Went another direction and bought an amp that is still a Tweed-ish flavor (Dr Z Nova), just not a Deluxe. Really happy with it.

9. Muzzy

Muzzy TDPRI Member

I love mine. I use it with an ironman II mini attenuator and it's the most fun I've ever had with an amp.

10. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

I have a 5e3 and a 5b3 deluxe. Cool simple amps that I would consider plug and play. Keep it low for fantastic cleans or crank to your desired level of overdrive. It's all delicious. The 5b3 with a smooth cone speaker is downright naughty. Probably my favorite amp.

You hear a lot of hype about the channel interaction on the 5e3. I've never found anything worth writing home about when messing the volumes. No reason to touch the unused channel. People rave about cranking the unused channel to clean up your tone but I've never found that to be useful either. If you want clean tone, simply don't crank anything to begin with. Bam.

11. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

I had a Lil Dawg for a few years, great amp, light, looked terrific, had a couple of great sounds. Never used it much, though -- I like a little dirt in the sound but just a little, and my experience was that it stayed too clean up to a point and then mushed out completely. If that magic volume point coincided with how loud the band was, great, but often it didn't.

Traded it off for a silver face Princeton that had THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM.

Now playing AC15 / 30 variants (Bad Cat) and Marshall. All master volume amps.

Jakedog and noname_dragon like this.
  12. jmp81sc

jmp81sc Tele-Meister

I find the 5E3 to be harder to dial in than my other tweed amps. When dialed in it sounds great, however I prefer the tighter/cleaner 5F6a Bassman and the 5G9 Tremolux, or the simpler 5F2a Princeton. My 5E3 however is a home brew using salvaged transformers so may not represent the circuit as designed.

My 5E3 is very sensitive to the type of pickups in the guitar and the volume and tone controls on both the guitar and the amp. I don't think it is a very good pedal platform.

CapnCrunch and noname_dragon like this.
  13. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

A 5c3 is a very different, fire breathing, animal than a 5e3. The 5c3 with its paraphase phase inverter doesn't develop the non musical blocking distortion that the concertina PI produces in the 5e3. Also the octal pre-amp in the 5c3 is a thing of beauty. 5c3's and recent clones like the Little Walter 22 are amazing amps, and much more capable in a band setting than the 5e3, at least in my experience. Another amp that is incredible, and similar to the 5c3 only bigger, is the 5b6 Bassman. I'm sourcing parts for a 5b6 build right now.

14. gabasa

gabasa Tele-Meister

The Edge of U2 has the most elaborate live guitar-effects system on planet earth and often plays through 5E3 amps.

There are a handful of comments about it not being the best with effects, but many (including Edge) would disagree. Remember that, "Good with pedals," is about what you like to hear, and not really the amp. It's all subjective. I think it takes pedals really well, but again, just my opinion.

15. JanOak

JanOak TDPRI Member

I've owned a 5e3 clone for 9 years and love it. I've gigged and rehearsed a lot with it and have never had a problem volume wise, and play delays and reverb through it. To me boosters like a Beano Boost or Bad Bob sound best through it for dirstier sounds, especially with a Tele. I have used a Weber 12a125a and 12a150a, probably preferring the 150 live, for a bit more head room and bigger sound. It's too loud for home playing for me, but even my Tweed Princeton never gets turned up past 3 at home if I want to stay on the good side of my neighbours!

gabasa and noname_dragon like this.
  16. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Holic

It's a one of a kind sound, I got that Fender `57 Custom Deluxe and it's wonderful.

17. mojek

mojek Tele-Meister

Depends on what you like and expect from an amp.
    I like my 5E3 for it’s simplicity, it’s lightweight and it’s very intuitive. You can hear the tubes differencies you put in and it should be miced on gigs, even it’s not bedroom amp.
    It’s loud 12-15Watts and great for recording. Takes pedals also very well. Try one in a shop and decide yourself. It’s also not cheap purchase:)

18. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

The Edge version by Fender is highly modified. His own personal ones are no doubt even more modded.

You are not really talking abt a typical 5e3 and I doubt he uses it exclusively.

19. hepular

hepular Tele-Holic

oy. Edge's main amp(s) = vox ac30s. But. if you ever want to see pointless rock&roll excess illustrated to beyond Nigel Tufnel, watch his rig rundown. Over 30 guitars to get through one show.

Ess Eff likes this.
  20. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

An amazing amp. I bought a Fender 57' Custom Deluxe a few months ago. Where has this amp been all my (electrical guitar) life? Awesome tone. great build, crazy quirky inputs - the charm of this amp. Works well with singles and hum buckers. Controls on the guitar have to be changed from one type to the next though.

brown2bob and noname_dragon like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.