1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NetFlix - Or Maybe TV - Gripe

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by unixfish, Feb 28, 2021.

1. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

My wife and I enjoy watching an episode of something to wind down at night.

For regular TV, I have the volume at 10 - wife at 15. We can hear (almost) everything.

With NetFlix, we have to turn the volume up to 28, 30, 35. A lot higher. Even at those elevated volumes, dialogue is hard to make out. We want to turn up the TV, but then we come to the end of an episode, or some kind of background music, and get blasted into the next room.

We often will turn on the stereo; even at the same volume in the room, it is much easier to hear and understand dialogue. Unfortunately, my daughter's room is above the family room, and the bass just travels into her room and her patients can hear it. No stereo until after 21:00 many nights, by which time my wife is asleep. Even with the stereo, we still have the same problem - dialogue is a normal volume, but then music or theme song or whatever blow us into the next room

Yeah, it's probably the crap speakers on our garbage Samsung TV adding to the problem.

But why is NetFlix so bad about dialogue volumes compared to other sound? Why does NetFlix need so much boost compared to other services?

Yeah yeah yeah third world problems and all that.

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. kbold

kbold Friend of Leo's

They want that action part to explode visually and audibly. Bigger and better and louder than the last years movies.
    Normal is no longer an option ..... more is better.

Welcome to the real world. I keep the remote handy ... for action scenes, and for TV advertising breaks. (Mute button is shiny.)

unixfish and nojazzhere like this.
  3. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I agree. Not just Netflix, but yeah it is bad. I find myself turning volume up and down constantly. Then add the Aussie or Brit accents on some shows and I have no idea what's going on!
    I don't know the answer, the soundbar didn't really help much. I bought wireless headphones once but that's a problem, they have time latency issues, so you cant have the TV volume on also for your partner or every thing sounds like time delay echo!

I think sound engineering has the most pathetic people in any industry. The volume jumps are HUGE. Then you cant hear the talk. I understand you need some dynamics but not that much!
    Don't even get me started on sound engineering at high dollar TV awards or concerts!

unixfish and nojazzhere like this.
  4. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i cannot understand most tv or netflix or prime without subtitles.

a friend of mine insists it's a digital vs analog problem. i don't know.

unixfish likes this.
  5. kmaster

kmaster Tele-Meister

6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Are most of the shows you watch on Netflx imported from the UK? I've noticed their audio is much "noisier" and murky than the US. I suspect that many US shows have their dialog soundtracks "looped".....meaning re-recorded later for a cleaner sound. I love BBC shows, but most of them have so much ambient background noise that I can't understand any dialog. I've tried soundbars, better speakers, and even equalizers to select out certain frequencies.....all to no avail. And hearing aids just amplify the noise!

unixfish likes this.
  7. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Ditto on using the subtitles setting ON .... for Netflix, the CC button (Closed Captions) and for Spectrum On Demand (same volume issue) I hit Cable -> Menu -> Settings for the language choices. Much better than blasting volume to no avail!

unixfish likes this.
  8. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Holic

Speakers aren't digital, so, it's an analog problem.

unixfish likes this.
  9. Togman

Togman Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

You need to get one of those old valve (Tube) TV's. You get a much warmer sound with those.:)

beanluc and unixfish like this.
  10. unixfish

Actually, yes.

We do have the subtitles turned on for everything. That helps me, but my wife likes to surf while she watches TV, soooooo...

nojazzhere likes this.
  11. unixfish

:lol::lol::lol:

12. BerkshireDuncan

BerkshireDuncan Tele-Meister

Maybe, but to these Brit ears so much two-handed dialog(ue) on imported US shows is just unnecessarily mumbled for effect- even when the characters aren't speaking discretely or privately (shakes fist at cloud)

nojazzhere and unixfish like this.
  13. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Just me, I guess, but I find subtitles (including CC) too distracting. I like to focus on the visuals of a film or show, and if I have to keep shifting my eyes to read, it ruins the enjoyment.
    I have a good solution......since there are MANY shows that we CAN understand, let's just demand film producers "clean up" their audio.....I know it can be done.

unixfish and Old Plank like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.