Netflix Increasing Shareholder Value Again

Nogoodnamesleft

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Lots of good shows on there. I like a lot of their European and Asian originals.

As for value, I remember spending 4 times as much for cable and not being able to find a single mind numbing thing worth watching. I have Netflix, CBC Gem, and AppleTV for half that combined.

elihu

Doctor of Teleocity
Better than Us was good.

And it was the first Russian miniseries I've ever watched.

Green Snake-the animation is crazy good...best I've ever seen.

Netflix is alright and I'm not interested in movie theaters right now.

Last edited:

Blrfl

Tele-Afflicted
As usual, nobody's looking at the economics.

A weekend rental from a video store in the mid-1990s ran about $7 adjusted to today's dollars and the average feature film runs 100 minutes, That makes the cost of the content alone $4.20 per hour. Add in gas to get to the store and back and the value of your time and it's more.

The new monthly price of the Netflix standard plan is $15.50. The break-even point compared to video rentals is about 3.7 hours of content, which is the first act of the third movie or 11 20-minute episodes of a series. Anything beyond that is gravy.

Blockbuster used to have a service which let you rent three DVDs at a time that ran $24 per month in today's dollars. The version of that service that was closest to Netflix allowed unlimited DVD trade-ins at stores and would cost an inflation-adjusted $46.

Unless you aren't watching very much, Netflix is cheap.

VonBonfire

Tele-Holic
New netflix price=15.50

15.50 x 12=$186/year

How many other tv type subscriptions do you have? $186 buys an awfully nice stompbox.

I wonder how many total man hours each year Americans waste-spend watching tv? I wonder what the average is?

"According to the A.C. Nielsen Co., the average American watches more than 4 hours of TV each day (or 28 hours/week, or 2 months of nonstop TV-watching per year). In a 65-year life, that person will have spent 9 years glued to the tube."

4 hours a day on the guitar will make you pretty dang good pretty dang quickl

Flyboy

Tele-Holic
I don't watch TV - seriously - but when visiting a friend in Ireland over New Year she had a Netflix original (?) called Ozark on. And I actually quite liked it!

BobTheOwl

Tele-Meister
Theres so much more valuable things to be doing in life, family, friends, dog walks, learning new stuff on guitar, building pedals etc than to waste time and money watching ****e on the idiot box.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Netflix is junk. As soon as my kid graduates in May I'm cancelling, he loves it.
I have not found a movie or documentary or series or live concert available on Netflix in at least 4 years. They really only have self-made series and Hallmark flicks.

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
Theres so much more valuable things to be doing in life, family, friends, dog walks, learning new stuff on guitar, building pedals etc than to waste time and money watching ****e on the idiot box.

there's nothing stupid about watching films or mini-series. they are another time-based art, which makes them IMHO deeper than the plastic arts.

i lived with film majors for a long time...musicians and filmmakers have a lot to learn from each other. throw dance and performance art in there too.

netflix just hardly has any good stuff anymore.

FollowMyHead

TDPRI Member
I bought into large flat screen TVs back in 2010 because I hate going to the theater. When Netflix went streaming, it was like the skies opened and birds sang (I didn't see or hear because I was too busy streaming). I was a loyal subscriber until the HD version went up to $13.99 a month. Then I started to sub only every other month.

Now I have a 75 inch 4K TV and they've raised the price again to nearly $20 a month. At this rate, I'll sub about twice a year. I just make a list of Netflix original/exclusive stuff I want to see throughout the year watch it all during those two months. There are better deals out there with better content (for me, your mileage will vary).

Greg70

Tele-Holic
My household has Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+, and Apple TV. If I try to get rid of any one of them I will catch holy h*ll from the wife or one of the kids. Back in the summer we were in tough shape financially and the kid wanted to rent a movie on Amazon for 4 bucks. She gave me some sob story about how she always wanted to see this movie and Mom said to ask me. I told her "we already pay for four streaming services and you can't find anything else to watch?" She found something else.

We do watch Netflix enough that there is still some value there, although some of their inhouse produced documentaries border on political commentary. However, my wife and I enjoy a lot of the shows and find something on there to watch several times a week. Their model has definitely changed from a source of studio movies to producing their own stuff.

CharlieO

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
My household has Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+, and Apple TV. If I try to get rid of any one of them I will catch holy h*ll from the wife or one of the kids. Back in the summer we were in tough shape financially and the kid wanted to rent a movie on Amazon for 4 bucks. She gave me some sob story about how she always wanted to see this movie and Mom said to ask me. I told her "we already pay for four streaming services and you can't find anything else to watch?" She found something else.

We do watch Netflix enough that there is still some value there, although some of their inhouse produced documentaries border on political commentary. However, my wife and I enjoy a lot of the shows and find something on there to watch several times a week. Their model has definitely changed from a source of studio movies to producing their own stuff.
It's probably not my place to comment on your situation, but I am not in " tough shape financially, " and I cannot justify the cost of multiple streaming services. Of course, that may be one reason why I am not in tough shape financially. I got one year of Apple TV for free when I bought an iPad, and could not find anything that would warrant paying for a subscription. I paid the cheap teaser introductory fee for Disney Plus in December so that I could watch the Beatles movie, and again could not see any reason to continue the subscription. I have an Amazon Prime subscription that I put on "hold" until I need it, usually around Christmas. I pay for one month per year. I have occasionally thought that it might be nice to watch something on Netflix, but haven't bothered. If I can't find something to watch on Comcast cable, which includes Peacock, I turn off the television.

Last edited:

Blrfl

Tele-Afflicted
Amazon Prime is now charging for shows that used to be free

That's a side effect of how they're licensed. Amazon licenses content for a period of time, during which they get to show it to as many subscribers as they want. Once the license runs out, the content falls back to any rental or sale agreement Amazon has with the producer or it goes away entirely.

Netflix has the same problem, but when their license runs out, there's no rental or sale.