Nervous (for the first time in a long time) About Tonight’s Gig

JoeNeri

Friend of Leo's
My band is headlining a huge benefit concert tonight for our local Rotary Club - “Blues for Polio” - as part of Rotary International’s efforts to eradicate polio around the world. Cool. I’m honored to participate and it should be a lot of fun.

But . . . I had full knee replacement surgery two and a half weeks ago! The surgery itself had some serious complications, which carried over into post-op. I’ve only been up and around for a few days, and still have a lot of stiffness and some manageable pain.

Gonna be interesting to see how this old man handles a 45-60 minute set - I’m the frontman. Relatively light-weight Strat into my Bassman. No pedals - I’d probably trip over them! Standing up - my knee isn’t yet flexible enough to sit while playing.

Wish me luck and feel free to share your war stories.

JoeNeri

Friend of Leo's
Good luck & hope you help raise a lot of money for a worthwhile cause.

For playing with your newly repaired knee, could you find a tall stool to perch on so you can take some weight off the knee without bending it as much as you would if seated?
Yes, I’m planning to have one on stage in case I need it. Thanks.

Kandinskyesque

Friend of Leo's
Good luck tonight and kudos for going that extra mile for a good cause.
I hope the adrenal rush is enough to keep you going through the performance and I'm sure plenty of rest tomorrow will be obligatory.

As for war stories, I played an hour of guitar and vocals at my brother's wedding 20 years ago with the band he had hired.
My left arm was in a plaster cast (broken elbow), so I couldn't do anything other than cowboy chords. My right palm had 8 stitches across it. I had 2 broken ribs.

The reason I was in that state was owing to some hi-jinks at my brother's stag night the week before.
My sister-in-law still twitches nervously whenever the subject arises.

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
My band is headlining a huge benefit concert tonight for our local Rotary Club - “Blues for Polio” - as part of Rotary International’s efforts to eradicate polio around the world. Cool. I’m honored to participate and it should be a lot of fun.

But . . . I had full knee replacement surgery two and a half weeks ago! The surgery itself had some serious complications, which carried over into post-op. I’ve only been up and around for a few days, and still have a lot of stiffness and some manageable pain.

Gonna be interesting to see how this old man handles a 45-60 minute set - I’m the frontman. Relatively light-weight Strat into my Bassman. No pedals - I’d probably trip over them! Standing up - my knee isn’t yet flexible enough to sit while playing.

Wish me luck and feel free to share your war stories.
Mrs Wrighty had that op. eight weeks ago and wouldn’t be able to stand and play for more than 5 mins. She had both hips replaced a few years ago, is very stoic and has a high pain threshold. I had never, ever seen her reduced to tears through pain until she had the knee op.

I wish you well my friend but please, please, don’t over do things, your whole body has to adapt, get it wrong and you’ll undo all the potential gains from your new knee.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
You're a good man.

Break a leg (not a string)!

Airplane-Nervous.jpg

57joonya

Tele-Afflicted
Good luck tonight and kudos for going that extra mile for a good cause.
I hope the adrenal rush is enough to keep you going through the performance and I'm sure plenty of rest tomorrow will be obligatory.

As for war stories, I played an hour of guitar and vocals at my brother's wedding 20 years ago with the band he had hired.
My left arm was in a plaster cast (broken elbow), so I couldn't do anything other than cowboy chords. My right palm had 8 stitches across it. I had 2 broken ribs.

The reason I was in that state was owing to some hi-jinks at my brother's stag night the week before.
My sister-in-law still twitches nervously whenever the subject arises.
That must have been one heck of a night. Sounds like quite a story in there somewhere