Neodymium Speakers

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by drri, Sep 29, 2019.

1. drri

drri Tele-Meister

Yep, been reading up on that. My thread was more or less about people that have started using them over ceramic speakers. As far as replacing the speaker in the TM. I wouldn't use one of the usual suspects, why add weight when that is one of the appeals? I would go for one of the Neo speakers... I ended up putting a Creamback 65 in my DR this weekend and love it so it would be nice to see if the Neo Creamback would be about the same but without the weight.

2. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

I replaced the 3 inch speaker in my Blackstar Fly 3 with a more efficient Neodymium speaker and it is a vast improvement in both tone and volume.

Rowdyman and drri like this.
  3. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

4. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Sorry, am on vacation, or I would have piped in earlier.

Lotta back and forth here... Here is my real world experience, with a Fender amp and replacing ceramic with neo speakers:

As I have talked about many times, I have a '58 Twin. When I bought it, it needed a lot of work. I did the circuit, then built a cabinet. When I built the new cabinet, I decided I wanted to experiment and try to lighten my load. I was running a Celestion Creamback G12M-65 and an Eminence 1258. The amp weighed in at around 62 lbs. Not unbearable, but not the lightest either.

I asked around online, mostly TGP I think, and was directed towards the Celestion Centuries or Creambacks and some Jensens. I ended up with a Creamback Neo and a Jensen 12-100... and an amp that weighs in at 46 lbs. I honestly couldn't be happier! The difference is a touch softer treble response and a slightly less efficient set of speakers. Neither is a bad thing for me. When I say softer treble response, it is ever so slight. Literally just a touch softer and less prone to spikiness. As for the less efficient, again, not like it suddenly made the amp whisper quiet, but just a little less... Believe me when I say that these 80 watts can still make folks' ears ring just the same!

There were tow things I was worried about... First was the treble. I remember the days of brittle bright and spikey sounding neo speakers. This is NOT the case at all. These speakers sound beautiful, both clean and pushing fuzz into the cooking amp. My second worry was touch response. I am always fiddling with volumes and picking attack to get different effects, different levels of breakup, etc. These speakers are awesome in this regard as well! I can play whisper quiet at home and they compress when I dig in. I can play at band volumes and they can go from mild to wild, all with picking pressure. I can hit them with fuzz, and they sound like the circuit.

I scored both of my neos for under a hundred each, used. I rarely buy new speakers, knowing I'll have to break them in and being very impatient... Plus, I've had excellent luck purchasing used speakers, and selling for no loss when I move on to the next thing.

So, to address the questions of the OP- Yes, I love my neos and they were a direct replacement for ceramic speakers that sounded excellent to begin with. Also, don't be afraid fo the Jensen Neos. They are excellent speakers that I would buy again any day fo the week.

uriah1 and drri like this.
  5. drri

drri Tele-Meister

Yeah I'm gonna give them a fair shot...... But I also tried my Creamback 65 in my DR that I have now and fell in love.... May be a bit but if I keep the amp I'll upgrade probably at some point.

6. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I love my 65, and it is safely saved for it's next home. But, the Neo CB is a great speaker that sounds very, very similar. Some say it is a mix between the 65 and 75...

drri likes this.
  7. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I recently decided to keep three Blackstar HT112 1x12 cabinets I have, and the HT-1TRH heads that came with them - but replace the speakers for use both with those heads and my THR100HD. In part due to leads from this thread, I bought two Eminence speakers to start - a Lil' Texas and a Tonkerlite. Still not sure what the third one will be. Either another Eminence, a Jensen, or a Neo Creamback.

8. ScottTunes

ScottTunes TDPRI Member

Thank you for utilizing a great word!! We need a more educated and "upscale" vocabulary! And that "ain't no joke!!"

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.