Neodymium Speakers for Guitar?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by JayFreddy, Jan 27, 2008.

1. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Does anyone have any experience with these or know of a link with sound clips?

I heard the Celestion Neodogs and was very disappointed. Too shrill, harsh, and brittle, and muddy, all at the same time...

Checked out a Fender 2x8 cab with neos, not sure what brand, and it sounded better than the Celestions, but still a bit harsh on the high end... Then again, the Fender cab had 8's in it, and they didn't have the correct amp head that was supposed to match the speakers, so I was experimenting with an old Prosonic head...

Anyone have any experience with a Neo 15? I'm thinking a Neo 15 for bass combined with an alnico or ceramic 10 might be the ticket for serious tone and thump in a lightweight package.

I've also heard good things about the Lil' Texas Heat, but I'm not going to buy anything until I can hear it with my own ears...

2. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I own two Neos that I love.

One is a Jensen Neo 12-100 and the other a 12" Eminence Tonkerlite.

The Neo 12 is very balanced and clear. The Tonkerlite is sorta like a Celestion Vintage 30 with its honk in the midrange.

Don't discount a speaker because of its magnet, shop around a bit first :)

3. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks for the reply. I really want the Neos to work for me. Due to a bad back, I need to seriously lighten the weight of my rig, but I don't want to sacrifice anything tone-wise if I don't have to.

I suspect that the Neo's may need a different approach from conventional guitar speakers, but I don't have anyplace to experiment, and I learned a long time ago not to buy anything unless I can confirm how it sounds first...

4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

JayFreddy, check Rob DiStefano's posts here, I recall he also likes these light magnet neodymium Jensens.

Oh, and JayFreddy, thanks again. You should know that almost all of the US Fender guitars you have seen me post since November were bought following your tip. Something like 14 of them. Will you help me pay the bill? (kidding)

Bubbanov

5. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Tele-Afflicted

I have a Kustom '36 Coupe, with an Eminence Lil' Texas. It sounds much better to me than the original, Eminence, special designed for Kustom speaker. It sounds more Fenderish, and it now has more volume and headroom.

I also have neodynium speakers in my Peavey PA speakers (PR12's), and a bass cabinet, with a 12" Eminence Basslite. I have been very happy with them, as I also have back trouble, and play in two bands, and do studio work.

Other light weight speakers that I like are the Celestion Seventy/80's, and Eminence Legend 105's. They are ceramic maganet speakers, that are almost as light as the neodynium speakers. They sound less bright than the neo speakers. The Lil' Texas looked a little darker on paper, than the other speakers, so I tried them. I've been very happy.

6. pedenphoto

pedenphoto TDPRI Member

recommending Jensen Neos

I play rhythm and play out once or twice a month. I live in New York so combo amps that fit in the back of a car or cab are a must. I use a Fender Vibroverb and the old Oxfords were pretty tired so I put a set of Jensen Neos in and I really like the sound nice and full never too sharp on the top and the bottom doesn't flab out but of course the speakers are only as good as what's driving them. One odd note: I was told by the dealer I ordered the speakers from (Todd Sharp Nashville) that although the Oxfords were 8 ohms I should order 16 ohm Neos and wire them parallel because the stock output transformer wanted to see 8 ohms. I really like the neos and am restoring a Tremolux that has 2 6BQ5s and although the stock Oxford in the cabinet sounds surprisingly good think I might get a 10" neo and try it just for grins. Remember I'm a rhythm player so I proably want a more "hi fi" sound than most. John Peden

7. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

"but I don't have anyplace to experiment, and I learned a long time ago not to buy anything unless I can confirm how it sounds first..."

I would wager a few things on a Jensen Neo 12. Try it, if you don't like it, I bet someone on eBay will pay nearly what you paid for it new... they're THAT good.

8. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

JenNeo's = [​IMG] [​IMG]

I've used 'em all, and they're all top shelf IMHO. Clear, transparent, no woofing or cone cry or farting out, can take a beating from a LOT of volume, deep lows, brilliant highs, solid mid-range, large 3" voice coils, 7 ounce neodymium magnets (you will not believe how powerful these little buggers are!). Not cheap, but worth every penny. Geez, I wish I could get 'em at dealer cost! Just sold an amp with a JenNeo 12, still have the 10 and 15 in my other amps.

9. JKjr

JKjr Tele-Holic

Jensen Neo

I've gotta go along with John Peden on this one...Bought a BFSR with 4 new C10Qs in it...HATED THEM. Called Todd Sharp, who recommended that rather than scrap the lot, keep 2 and match them with a couple Neo's. The combination turned a rather stiff, brittle amp into a tone monster. This isn't the first time Todd has hooked me up, and the dude has "puppydog ears." My humble advice would be to drop Todd a line.

10. OaklandA

OaklandA Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Weber NeoMag

I have a Weber NeoMag 12" in a Li'L Dawg D-Lux (5e3 clone) and it sounds great, though a totally different animal than the Jensen or other light magnet neos.

In fact, it's designed just like a JBL D120 with an edgewound 4" voice coil. It sounds very much like an alnico JBL but a little warmer. Big lows, decent headroom, clarity. Not sterile at all like the JBL's are usually criticized for. These also are pretty heavy compared to the Jensens...9lbs...but lighter than an actual D120 by quite a bit.

I also have an old JBL D120F in a DRRI, so I've had the opportunity to compare. I've become a born again JBL type speaker fan in the process.

I really like the NeoMag though I'm sure it's not for everyone.

I've put trying out a Jensen Neo on my Bucket List. Sure gets high marks from everyone that tries them.

11. Nub

Nub Friend of Leo's

I have a Jensen Neo 15-150 in a Peavey Delta Blues, and it sounds fantastic with both clean & od/dist. There is no shortage of highs with it, they are clear & very smooth. The lows are HUGE, and stay together at any volume (there's no "farting out"). Btw, if I crank it up in my office, it knocks stuff off the walls & shelves! :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.