Neo speaker for my drri

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by budglo, Nov 23, 2019.

1. budglo

budglo Tele-Meister

Looking for something more efficient and as light as my p12q . Love the lightness of the drri with it. Somewhat bright though. Looking for something more efficient but in a neo. Anyone have one they like in their deluxe reverb?

2. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I have liked the sound of every amp I have hooked up to an Eminence Lil' Texas, should sound great in a drri.

DavidP likes this.
  3. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

Jensen Jet Tornado 100

4. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

eminence em12n. it's a neo knockoff of an EV... and sounds amazing. 99.9dB efficiency (loud!) and handles 200 watts (won't break up). might seem like overkill in a 22 watt amp... but i use this in my Princeton and its perfect!

tubelectron and uriah1 like this.
  5. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Holic

neo creamback

6. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

a big +1 for the Eminence Lil Texas, great speaker for a Deluxe Reverb. I advise a good break-in to realize its full potential.

Rockinvet likes this.
  7. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Meister

+1 on lil Texas and Em12n. Have both and love the sound and reduced weight.

8. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

The Emi Legend GB128 is a very good speaker in a DRRI, ime.

9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Durn, i really want a neo I can love but pulled the trigger on a Tonkerlte and couldn't like it.
    When i bought it there was still a lot of internet hate for neo and I read several posts of users who said the Lil Tewax was ice pick but the Tonkerlite was not.
    Now it seems the opposite is true, and meanwhile I'm not as inclined to but what's popular on the internet because I read so much raving about great gear that is mediocre when I try it out.

I'll probably grab a Lil Tex if I see one cheap but it seems like newer neo gets better as they figure out how to dial in a cone for the different magnet influence.

I'd be interested to read comparisons, like rather than "sounds great", maybe sounds like a G12H30, sounds like a Classic Lead 80, sounds like a Gold/ Blue, Weber silver dog or a P12N etc etc.
    Clearly I'm not looking for murican voiced speakers, but a lotta players today like a more mid forward speaker in their smaller Fender combos.

Not sure but I think the Tonkerlite has the treble & bass murican voice with a mid scoop.

10. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

I'll second the Celestion Creamback Neo. It will be a bit louder (97 vs 94.4 dB) and the highs are rounded off compared to the 100 dB Eminences. More complex mids.

The L'il Texas are great but more like an EVM 12L. Very loud, very clean, very efficient.

How loud do you play? Play gigs or in a small room at home? Do you use pedals for dirt or like to turn up to 6 to get the amp and speaker to contribute to the overall break-up recipe? The louder you play, the more the efficient speakers stand out. If you stay below 4 on the volume, the P12Q may be worth sticking with.

11. budglo

budglo Tele-Meister

Thanks guys . I ordered the lil Texas . All good advice , but think the lil Texas seems like what I’m looking for.

Ed Storer likes this.
  12. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

the eminence tonkerlite was my first venture into neo speakers too. they were awful for me. brittle, harsh, shrill...

the next attempt i had was the celestion century neos... which are excellent. very similar to celestion vintage 30's... but just a hair thinner in the low mids. easily EQ'd back in. i think v30's might be the best speakers of all time... so these neo clones are my first choice for playing shows (in a 2x12 cab that's so light it feels fake).

next up was a celestion creamback neo. i dropped that into a Princeton reverb and was really disappointed. it's hard to explain... but it's almost like i was listening to a good speaker in another room... too quiet and a weird muffled effect to it. maybe if you hit it a lot harder it'd be better? i keep it around in a box just in case...

another neo i tried was the eminence em12n... which is my new favorite in smaller 1x12 setups. it's 200 watt handling can take some serious abuse. it handles the boomy low end of my Princeton, and can take my 100 watt boogie head too. it's also really efficient... makes my little Princeton sing

my latest neo was an eminence wheelhouse 150... which is supposed to be like a hemp coned version of my beloved em12n. it's close... just a bit warmer and softer... but not quite the em12n

don't give up on the featherweight life just yet... especially based on what i think is the worst of them all

telemnemonics likes this.
  13. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

i didn't address this... but no, it's really mid pushed. to me, it sounds like a greenback (not a fan) but even brighter and thinner.

14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Hmmm, I now only have GBs in 20w and 30w 55hz, and the Tonkelite is more lacking in low mids than either which adds to the shrillness, while the mids it has a lot of are more high mids to my ear than Marshall mids knob mids or Celestion Blue mids.
    It does appear to have a pronounced mid hump on paper but it seems to have such a lack of lower mids that what gets boosted sticks out as you said brittle harsh and shrill.

I recall the 25w GBs as being more fat toned and warm, along with their Marshally upper mids, but it's been a really long time since I used those speakers and I didn't really like them.

I might look for a used Century or an Emi EM12n.
    I'd looked for a used Lil Tex at times but now I think it may be more adequate than perfect.

Oddly I tried a special order Eminence I bought a quad of from a bass amp company, supposed to be V30 based but maybe with more bottom and cleaner for bass amps.
    A friend had a quad in an old Hiwatt slot port cab that sounded great with different heads including a Hiwatt 100.
    Put them in a slant Peavey cab and they were cold and harsh.
    Popped on in an open back 1x12 and out came this fat warm tone with highs a little cut but in a nice way, totally the opposite of the closed 4x12 tone.

I see speakers like pickups and have to have them be right.
    But it's nice to be able to move them too!

Thanks for the descriptions.

15. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

I put a neo creamback with my Deluxe-ish built (Think Deluxe minus tremolo). Sounds great to me.

16. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

The Lil' Texas is nothing like the Tonkerlite, or the Texas Heat for that matter. I moved those along just as quick as I could.

telemnemonics likes this.
  17. budglo

budglo Tele-Meister

Thanks for all the suggestions. I went with the Lil Texas and it arrived yesterday. It took me 20 minutes to swap it out . 4 screws and the baffle plate popped out .Plugged in my strat and after some dial adjustments ,off I went.

Even though it isnt broken in yet I love this speaker. Nice cleat tones. It sounds how a Drri should . Very balanced tone and very loud. The previous speaker was a p12q , so one of the first thing I noticed was how bright the p12q was , and now I know what it was about the amp that I didnt like . Its a very light speaker , so it weighs about what my 68 Princeton Custom weighs.

Fred Rogers likes this.
  18. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

I’m not a big neo speaker fan, but the Eminence Lil' Texas is nice. Just needs a long break in time.

19. budglo

budglo Tele-Meister

I am rather impressed with this one for sure. I didnt care for the p12q that much , but the weight of it was nice . At 61 and a bad back anything I can do to lighten the load is good. Thats probably why the p12q stayed in for so long tbh. Im just going to play the snot out of it and break it in.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    Fred Rogers likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.