1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Nekkid Headstock

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by I.M.Noone, Oct 30, 2020.

Should I refinish a sanded headstock front?

1. Refinish it!

11 vote(s)
    64.7%
  2. Leave 'er alone

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  1. I.M.Noone

I.M.Noone TDPRI Member

I lucked into a Telecaster recently. Maple neck/black body. Nice hardware, too. Plays and sounds better than any other I've had. One thing though, some dummy sanded the entire front of the headstock at some point. I figure it's probably a MIM model, but I can't figure out why they did it. Regardless, the sanded 'nekkid' headstock isn't awful to look at and I don't see selling the guitar - should I bother with refinishing it to look 'normal'?
    Thanks!

2. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

No idea. If you're OK with it, why worry about it?

boris bubbanov likes this.
  3. Siamese

Siamese TDPRI Member

I don't like the look of a bare headstock. Gotta have some sort of logo or something on it. How about an Early Cuyler sticker?

TwoBear likes this.
  4. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

If it’s definitely a genuine instrument then I’d refinish it and even consider the correct Fender transfer.

TwoBear likes this.
  5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'm glad you like it as it is.

Otherwise you really need to come up with you own design.

Borrowing some imaging that belongs to FMIC and sticking it on there, is IMO very bad form anyway.

Some folks do this to disguise a stolen guitar. Or to deceive the observer into thinking it might have been a USA model (when it wasn't) or that it was a Squier - or never was an FMIC product in the first place. My naked headstock faces stay as they are.

bettyseldest, RomanS and LutherBurger like this.
  6. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

Nekkid Headstock

Great band name.

7. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

If it’s genuine, new decal. If you’re not sure or you think it might be a parts guitar, enjoy as it is or put your own mark on the headstock

8. boris bubbanov

Now in the UK, I don't practice there (and this isn't legal advice anyway) so I wouldn't say.

But this imaging belongs to Fender, not to the rest of us. And they've explicitly told us in no uncertain terms, they do not authorize any one affixing Fender imaging except by FMIC itself or its contractors (in Indonesia for example).

Now, I have no idea what FMIC's "remedy" is if someone sticks an illicit decal on a guitar not in commerce. Maybe they have no practical means of preventing it. But I was raised not to help myself to a possession belonging to someone else. I encourage others to approach this issue in this same way.

bettyseldest and JL_LI like this.
  9. rickthescot

rickthescot Tele-Afflicted

Who cares! Does it play and feel good? That is all that matters.

Indy-Tele likes this.
  10. KS6V

KS6V TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

How 'bout some nekkid pics :)

11. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Write "ANDY" on it with a backwards "N."

[​IMG]

AAT65, That Cal Webway and KS6V like this.
  12. Matthias

You make a good point about third party/personal reproduction of the logo. I guess if the OP’s lucky it might be a model Fender offer a decal for...

13. Telecentric

Telecentric Tele-Holic

Seems the OP question was whether to put a finish on the sanded wood, he didn't say anything about replacing the decal.

I'd just give it a couple of coats of tung oil to protect the wood and call it a day.

AAT65, Old Plank and WalthamMoosical like this.
  14. boris bubbanov

Once upon a time, Fender had a network of authorized repairers and those guys could rebuild a neck and then affix a new decal. And I remember when I was young, friends of mine visited the plant in Fullerton and sometimes got handed a few "spare" decals as swag.

But FMIC doesn't offer decals for any of the necks they have sold previously. Either the whole neck goes back and gets replaced under warranty, or the other choice these days is to buy a fresh, brand new FMIC replacement neck. Complete with all your decals on the headstock face.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  15. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

William! There are children present. (73, OM)

16. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

I don't think theres anything wrong legally or morally putting a decal on any neck regardless of whether it's a fender or not until you sell it. I don't think fender can do a darn thing about what you do to your guitar. Once you decide to sell it thats different. Personally i'd sell it as is but let the buyer know it's not a fender, and if that bothers you sand it off b4 u sell. But while u own it i can't imagine there's any law that tells you what u can do with your personal property until the point u sell it.

17. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

get a black texta and write whatever you like on it....:lol:

boris bubbanov likes this.
  18. Matthias

I think they started offering them again: https://support.fender.com/hc/en-us...placement-decal-for-my-old-Fender-instrument-

Still, if the headstock’s sanded it’s probably a Squier....

19. Matthias

Not at all judging your stance, but just thinking about the law on this.

A lot of uses people think is legal for personal use is actually illegal. For example, downloading a copyrighted picture off the internet and printing it... If you consider the legal stance on downloading MP3s or films off file sharing, that same logic applies to other media. It does differ from country to country and most people don’t ever see any consequences, but Boris’ point seems pretty valid that unofficial restoration decals are illegal in a lot of countries whether you put them on a Fender neck or not. I’d not really considered the issue on real necks. As he points out, the logo isn’t our personal property.

So yeah, in the case of restoring a real Fender to stock (I’ll focus on that scenario), I think a lot of people stick repro decals on with little moral qualm and I wonder how likely it is that anyone would pursue an individual in that case. It doesn’t mean it’s actually legal.

20. Siamese

Siamese TDPRI Member

I have a buddy doing 7 to 10 in Jackson State Prison for putting a Fender logo on his Guitar Fetish headstock. When he gets out, I'm going to ask him if it was worth it.

baiff, Matthias and That Cal Webway like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.