Neil's Brotherhood Build 2020: Stringray Tele

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by RiversQC, May 13, 2020.

1. RiversQC

RiversQC Tele-Meister

It's finally time for me to start my brotherhood build. The TL;DR version is I'm plannimg to make something based on the EBMM Stingray reissue / Sterling SR30:

20200513_153454.jpg

... but crossed with a telecaster ;)

Now that I've shown you something way nicer than I'll actually build, please indulge me in walking through my thought process here. Oh, and at the outset, a big thanks to Dave for suggesting these builds and all of you for posting your own builds, which have been fantastic!

On my very short list of things to build has been a STARCASTER. I've come around to liking them, and I've been set for a few months that I could build a semihollow flattop version in the Gibson Midtown style. I have a few construction techniques in mind but, short story, cant quite pull it off what I want with what I have on hand.

So, aha, it came to me I could do a 90% scale solidbody version, with strat-like roundovers? I printed a drawing on paper and the horns seemed too tight. So I tried combining a few styles (strat horns, tele horns, keeping the offset waist) and nothing really blended. I was about to give up when I came across the EBMM Stingray, which I've never seen in person. But yep... that's the body type I had in mind, so I've scaled something close and will go from there. It's a 25.5" scale guitar, 1 5/8" thick. The curves are just a bit tighter than a strat, with the lower curve set back further, and the neck joining the body at fret 17 vs. 16.

Here are my supplies: A 36" basswood board, maple neck, and stewmac 12" radius fretboard:

20200513_150757.jpg
    Mine will be a hardtail, probably HH, and painted a solid colour I have in mind.

-Neil

2. RiversQC

RiversQC Tele-Meister

I've never built with basswood before so we'll see how that goes. The upper half of the guitar needs about 19" length, the lower 17", but I can get that out of my board comfortably by cutting on an angle.
    20200513_131735.jpg

There's one knot along one side, so I'll position that below the lower bout - I hope/dont think it goes in too far.

20200513_132704.jpg

To start with I cut it, flattened both sides with my router sled to be able to run it through the jointer, and have a blank ready to glue up.

20200513_150902.jpg

20200513_142204.jpg

20200513_151103.jpg

crazydave911, eallen and Macrogats like this.
  3. RiversQC

RiversQC Tele-Meister

I've also gotten started on the neck. I already had this neck blank cut and thicknessed to size using the router sled, and it's held nice and flat. Here's the extremely 'backyard' way I cut the truss rod slot.

I joint one edge of the neck blank so I can put a board at 90 degrees for my router to run against. I draw my centre line at the collet's midpoint and draw it all out from there. Pretty sketchy, I know, but it works!

20200513_151358.jpg

20200513_151415.jpg

20200513_151500.jpg

20200510_144833.jpg

20200513_151556.jpg

Despite the view from an angle, the truss rod is lined up perfectly with the nut. So far so good.

4. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Welcome to the fold - good start. And that’s pretty much how I do a truss rod slot as well.

crazydave911 and RiversQC like this.
  5. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

Good looking build so far.
    Very timely too. I have that exact trussrod and have been pondering about how to route for it.

crazydave911 likes this.
  6. RiversQC

RiversQC Tele-Meister

I definitely learned it around here. I use a 1/4" spiral bit for the truss rod rod channel and a 3/8" core box bit for the allen key access.

crazydave911 and RodeoTex like this.
  7. eallen

eallen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Welcome to the bro build! Glad to see another chime in! Looking like a good start!

Eric

8. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Oh yeah, we got another brother build! I totally dig that new Stingray look, super nice choice!

Ian T and RiversQC like this.
  9. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Holic

I Support This Build.

Vote me...er.... don't

RiversQC likes this.
  10. Hutchwearing6

Hutchwearing6 TDPRI Member

Is that the kensrue signature stingray? Definitely my pipe-dream GAS that one. Will be watching your build with interest...

11. RiversQC

RiversQC Tele-Meister

Thanks, all. Hutch, yeah, the printout (and two of the photos at top) are the Dustin Kensrue signature model - I don't know him but I like his guitar! Mine will be a departure from that, apart from the basic shape, but if I like it as a prototype I might double back to build something very similar, as I like the idea of a H-S with strat neck pickup as well. Cheers.

12. THX1123

THX1123 Tele-Meister

Nice. Looking forward to seeing this build finished. I've had a tele bridge pickup in my '78 to compliment the P-90, and I just put a Lipstick HB in it in the bridge position...

Attached Files:

RiversQC likes this.
  13. Hutchwearing6

Hutchwearing6 TDPRI Member

This seems like an opportune place to ask- how do folk around here approach control plates of odd shapes like the EBMM one shown? As straightforward as 1.5mm sheet and a jigsaw, being careful with the edges?

RiversQC likes this.
  14. RiversQC

RiversQC Tele-Meister

I really dont know, and would welcome people's views too. If you look up some of Scatter Lee's builds those are always an education in fabricating parts. I'm likely to use a tele control plate or similar.

15. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

Great job of getting the most out of that 36" board :)!!!

A lot of folks would have passed by that piece thinking it would be too short.

Good to see another BB too!

RiversQC and crazydave911 like this.
  16. GeminiCG

GeminiCG Tele-Meister

I'm pretty sure, if you are willing to spend the money, can purchase the control plate for the Stingray

17. RiversQC

RiversQC Tele-Meister

I didnt get much time today, but I got a new bandsaw tire & blade running on my old machine. I got my neck cut out, and as you can see I'm also working on one made of canary wood for another project.

20200516_183912.jpg

20200516_183945.jpg

I also made a mdf template for this build. I usually sand to shape but may try routing the edge on this one...

18. RiversQC

RiversQC Tele-Meister

Thanks, I'll take a look around, possibly for a next build if I like this thing! I do like the look. The Stingrays seem to have a PCB assembly, which I wouldnt be doing, and I might have a hard time settling for one control knob, even if it's concentric. I had a cool hardtail Charvel for a while but it only had a volume knob...

I wanted to make a little more progress today so put the dots in my fretboard. marked them out, made a little indentation, then drilled 'em.

20200516_233832.jpg
    20200516_233740.jpg

Pretty simple progress with the stewmac pre-slotted board. It's my last one I have on hand (I gotta re-up my StewMAX membership on my next order so I've been putting that off), but worth it to speed this build along, plus it was the only maple board I had. Save me from butchering fret and nut slots in front of an audience :rolleyes:

The tricky part of a pre-radiused board --for me anyway, not using a router table -- will be trimming the overhang to the neck blank.

19. dazzaman

dazzaman Tele-Afflicted

Really good start here. I sort of know a build is going to be good when the first picture to reallly grab my eye is a well- fitting trussrod in its slot...

This isn't a model of guitar I know at all, so looking forward to following it and seeing how it pans out.

crazydave911, RiversQC and RodeoTex like this.
  20. RiversQC

RiversQC Tele-Meister

I got a bit of guitar work done around a lot of yard work today.

I glued up the body this morning after some last minute work on the joint. I have & use a jointer but I think the outfeed tray is off by a fraction of a mm so I sometimes get the slightest gap in the middle. Sometimes I get lucky first time but this was not one of them. (I've attempted to shim it but it doesn't seem to have an adjustable part. Anyway). After enough tries, I got it.

20200517_180859.jpg

20200517_125902.jpg

Exciting stuff, huh.;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.