1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Neil Young's 450 Tweed Deluxes

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Larry F, May 31, 2013.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Wiki ?

As reliable as I am...:lol:

Tweed Deluxes ?

Overrated as a 6V6 amp.

Probably why Neil has used 6L6's in his w/ beefed up everything for decades.

2. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

I bet each one has its own tones and some could be some of the ones he's blown up, kinda like guitars, no two sound the same and to get enough spares that give him the tone he is after, it probably takes quite a few to choose from.

Billy Gibbons has a few too.

3. tazzboy

tazzboy Former Member

My guess is spares just in case he blows one up he has another one as a backup.

4. Onebean

Onebean Tele-Holic

I read somewhere he has a bunch of those amps. He said there are some specific tones or magic he is searching for. He commented on the fact he buys every one he can find, to see if they have the stuff. If it doesn't, it goes into storage. Of all the amps he has, I think only about 5 have this special sauce he's after. Call him crazy if you like, he has the means to do it. Imagine all those amps for sale some day. Original Fender Tweed Deluxe owned by Neil Young (450 times).

Onebean

5. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

I don't have a Holy Grail amp. Or, to be more accurate: I've had lots of them. Each time I get a new amp that blows me away, that's my new Holy Grail. But I'm always willing to try something else. To me, the really strange thing about Neil having a bunch of Deluxes is that he is so single-minded about that one model. To have that laser-like focus and absolute certainty that this is what he likes, and that's that - I find that amazing. I couldn't do it, especially if I had his resources and connections in the business - I'd have a couple of EVERYTHING.

6. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'd love a video where Neil showed off his gear: "So that's the Tweed Deluxe warehouse. Now let's take the elevator down into a cave stuffed full of my coilly cables."

7. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Is there some kind of shortage of Tweed Deluxes? Why do we care how many are owned by one person?

8. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't care how much of anything anyone owns. If NY owned every single tweed deluxe in the world, i would not care as long as he didn't steal them, what difference does it make?

the idea that he is depriving anyone of anything is about the most absurd idea i have ever seen posted here that was not posted by me.

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  9. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Tele-Afflicted

I'd have to draw a line before it went that far.

10. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

They'll be back in the stream of commerce eventually.

11. Mike Eskimo

The boomer die-off. It will affect a lot of collectibles price-wise as well.

"Here 25-30 yr old dude ! You can have this 12 watt 60 year old amp w/ ratty yellow covering or this quintuple-rectifier 60 watt Mesa just like the one your pierced-eye brow guitar heroes used..."

Quick choice for him.

(He also will take the tuner Honda Civic over the '64 Mustang, thank you very much)

12. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

Do you think he could be breeding them? (I could see lots of little Champs roamin' around his ranch)

13. Tidepoolbay

Tidepoolbay Friend of Leo's

If someone want to own something it is their business.

14. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

Guess all that's left to do now is to pull out my old Behringer Virtube amp now...:D

15. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's

It's his money and his business, I don't much care. I would think these amps are being stored in a controlled environment so that someday 450 vintage amps may come into the market place for a new generation of players to experience.

16. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Neil, from what I have read, seems to be very determined to not change. Thus his overwhelming conviction about the quality of musical recordings in his failry new book. I remember reading that he does not even like his amp knobs to be changed once he dials one in etc. This may help explain why he would feel this compulsion........but heck how many of us would have loads of gear if money were no real object. So maybe in 10-15 years ebay will have amps that say "Neil Young owned" and might actually be true

17. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

I don't feel I have any right to say someone has too many amps guitars cars boats etc...
    Cos I have more than one of......guitars amps stomp boxes too.
    I think I need em to get the job done, so I figure Neil thinks he needs 450 deluxe's to do the same.
    He seems pretty content in the guitar dept tho.
    That old black les Paul has been a constant for years.

18. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Friend of Leo's

I've been closely interrogated by the wife over having something like a hundred pipes, but at least they're not all the same pipe.

19. Mike Eskimo

But - 450 ?

That's OCD/hoarder behavior.

Bet he's got a PT Cruiser somewhere stuffed w/ stacked newspapers and junk w/ just a tiny bit of room in there for him to sit and drive...:eek:

But - it is fueled w/ recycled cooking grease !

20. colorado

colorado Tele-Holic

So we will endlessly debate what kind of pick some old rock dude used in 1969, but someone brings up that one of the more famous 60s icons has 450 of the SAME amp, and people get their knickers in a twist over "why would someone bring this up", "I could care less", "that's his own business", "its his money".

I could say the same of Michael Jackson and his chimps and hyperbolic sleeping chambers.

Talking about weird celebrity behavior is one of the things Americans are good at. That's why.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.