1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Neil Young's 450 Tweed Deluxes

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Larry F, May 31, 2013.

1. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I have read several times, just now in his wiki article, that Neil Young owns 450 Tweed Deluxes. Some of you will know about the Whizzer, which is an electro-mechanical contraction that moves the knobs to several presets, determined by a footswitch. The device is completely non-invasive. It sounds like a really cool idea to me. Crazy cool, which is my favorite kind of cool.

Not so cool, to me, is that he owns 450 Tweed Deluxes, again, according to what I have read. If I am way off base on this, then I really apologize for what follows. What do you think of one guy, Neil Young or Joe Blow, owning 450 Tweed Deluxes? On the one hand, they are probably well cared for. Maybe it is common for some collectors to buy up many items that are similar, so he is just doing what other collectors might do (I don't know how common that is). The downside, is that if these amps were out in the world, how many more players would benefit from them? Thoughts?

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Well.

One way to see it is......

There's 450 awful Neil Young imitators who are maybe not plugging in?

Or.

Someday, Science will be able to take these Tweed Deluxes, capture their DNA, and make some more that really sound like something? So the amps will not go extinct 200-300 years from now or some such?

3. Maxwell Street

Maxwell Street Friend of Leo's

Neil Young...on the next episode of "Hoarders"

4. choupique

choupique Tele-Holic

He needs them for spare parts.

5. TeleDrifter

TeleDrifter Tele-Afflicted

How many Les Paul's does Slash own? Alot.

6. buckfuzzard

buckfuzzard Tele-Meister

Hoarder

7. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I don't know, it's a simple circuit and commonly reproduced very faithfully. Doesn't really bug me. I know Neil has a purist streak, but as far as amps go, I think I'd rather have a modern replica built to spec. That way I know it won't fail, and can afford to risk taking it to the gig.

Other hoarders (okay, collectors) are probably mad though. I can see collecting guitars, amps not so much.

8. purpletele

purpletele Friend of Leo's

449?

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

9. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

He has the money and the desire, so who really cares? There are enough amps in the world for people to play and no one will miss out because of it. I don't care for excess in anything, but I won't lose a minute of sleep over it either.

10. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity

Considering the number of amps in stores waiting to be sold, my opinion is : Yawn!

11. bossking7

bossking7 Tele-Afflicted

+1

12. ADinNYC

ADinNYC Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I read his autobiography and he really seems (and if I remember correctly he mentions this himself) to exhibit OCD like behavior. Perhaps he just can't control the impulse to keep buying these amps.

13. DSharp

DSharp Tele-Holic

I take anything I read in Wikipedia with a grain of salt, especially when it's some none-attributed "fact" like this one is. In a 1992 Guitar Player interview, Neil Young said he had ten spares. Maybe he's been on a Tweed Deluxe buying binge for the last two decades?

14. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Perfect response!

And here sit I wondering why in the hell anyone else should care just how many tweed deluxes Neil owns except for maybe Mrs. Young and Neil himself. There must be several million other amps out there for the rest of us to use.

15. Sw0rdfish

Sw0rdfish Tele-Meister

I've read he has a bunch. If I recall there was something special and unique about one and he's been searching for others. Somewhere on the web is an interview with his tech.

16. Sw0rdfish

Sw0rdfish Tele-Meister

Larry Craggy I think his name is

17. beach bob

beach bob Friend of Leo's

Tweed Deluxes? He didn't get mine :lol:

VERY true. At this point it is really silly. Highest price for vintage amps goes to the most pristine examples. To even turn the things on, some 60 years hence, you'll need to do a cap job and do other work such as installing a grounded plug, to make them safe to operate. Touching any of these components, replacing them with modern equivalents, causes its price to drop. Hence, the highest dollar goes to something that is strictly a museum item.

Dirty secret: I own a 50s era Deluxe. I also own a recent 5E3 type amp; similar circuit, but not an exact duplicate, made by a very reputable maker. The newer one sounds better :cool:

18. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

At least it isn't 450 Gorilla SS amps.

:twisted:

19. timgreene

timgreene Tele-Afflicted

The man has been using the same tweed deluxe for 40 years. He has thoroughly mastered the tone of these amps and what they can do. If he didn't have those 450 tweed deluxes how many would survive? I think Neil Young is a suitable caretaker of the gear that comes through his hands. He seems to genuinely care and to appreciate the meaning of all that old wood, fabric, and glue.

20. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

I built a brand spankin' new one. Old guitars, I get. Stinky old fire hazard amps - no.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.