Neil Young

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by televiking, Oct 5, 2006.

1. televiking

televiking Tele-Meister

Listening to Neil yesterday I thought that for some reason he really moves me.
    He has a high and shaky voice, sure.
    He cannot play very fast or technically, sure.
    His studio tone is sometimes wimpy, his live tone sometimes too brutal.

But like Tom Waits (another of my great favourites) he has something in his music that deeply affects me. Maybe it is the sincerity, maybe not. But damn it feels good to hear him playing a 2 note solo, but just the right notes at a right time.

And of course he has the coolest Gibby ever. Old Black is just too cool. And on Tonight's the night he played a Tele..

http://www.thrasherswheat.org/sound.htm

How does Neil affect you?

Televiking

Last edited: Oct 5, 2006
  2. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

I play the weld cd and comes a time every week while I work... I love those songs and I dig Brother Neil...

'look out mama there's a white boat comin' up the river' good stuff man... good stuff.

3. Stuco

Stuco Poster Extraordinaire

Neil is a kind of artist who reaches people in a very emotional way. I feel he would be effective as a painter, musician whatever. There is something very familiar about him, he is really kind of shy. I know he spent a lot of time alone as a child

4. jjw43

jjw43 Tele-Meister

Heart of Gold DVD

Is great also the acoustic DVD that came with the Greendale CD. There just isn't any BS with him. Straight forward and still making music that is interesting.

Tonights the night...tonights the nnniiighttt.

5. crawdad

crawdad Tele-Afflicted

When I saw the "Prarie Wind" film, I realized why I'd always liked Neil. He creates from his heart with integrity. While so many artists are trying to sound like somebody else, or attempting to craft music dictated by major label bean counters, Neil just keeps forging on, listening to his inner voice and concocting music that reflects what he is and what he feels.

No, I don't love everything he's done, but he's REAL. What he puts out is exactly what his passion is at the time. I saw him doing a sideshow performance at the H.O.R.D.E festival a few years back and I was shocked at the charisma and presence he has on stage, even sitting on a stool and playing acoustic guitar. The guy is totally original and true to himself. A primal genius songwriter and performer. When I hear his best stuff, I know he's not BS'ing me. He speaks from the depths of his soul. A wise old soul it is, too.

6. byrdbrain

byrdbrain Tele-Afflicted

From Buffalo Springfield to the present.
    At the moment, On the Beach is my favourite album.
    And I've been listening to "The Emperor of Wyoming" from the first solo album
    a lot lately – beautiful Gretsch sound and Jack Nietzsche strings.

7. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

My God, I do love Neil.

This wasn't always the case. As a young man, I didn't quite "get" Neil, or Bob Dylan, or Hank Williams, or Thelonius Monk, or Gram Parsons, or The Band, or Son House, or Miles Davis. My head and ears were wrapped around a bunch of stuff at that time that now seems completely foreign to me - music that I currently have difficulty in understanding, as to just what it was that initially moved me. I guess it's just part of getting older, and experiencing the evolution of what one actually enjoys listening to.

My working projects are hardcore into structure and arrangement, and this is something that I love, and something that I will never abandon. However, I've little doubt that, at some point during my live job with my pop band on Friday, we'll launch into a totally unrehearsed fifteen minute (or so) reading of "Down By The River", or "Cortez The Killer", or some other Neil Young chestnut. I can't wait. Playing a Neil Young tune is, for me, very similar to playing a Miles Davis composition.

8. Big John

Big John RIP

People are arguing elsewhere about a thread called "What makes a musician" or something and here we are loving Neil Young !, lousy voice, looser than loose playing style, erratic album performances but somehow utterly, utterly brilliant !

No, i dont know what it is either, every album is different to the last yet equally as good, some take longer to get under your skin but whatever he has i wish i could bottle it and sell it.

9. RollingThunder75

RollingThunder75 Tele-Meister

Neil is one of the greatest ever and one of my favorite artists. He's also my favorite guitarist ever. Like you guys have mentioned, he's not as "technically" gifted as many other guitarists out there, like that's supposed to mean something. I just connect with his sound on a very deep level. I'm not sure why or how. Acoustic, electric, playing harmonica, it doesn't matter. He can be a folkie, or he can sound like the Apocalypse. I never play out, just in my basement, but when I want to crank the amp up, I'm usually playing something of Neil's, albeit badly. Like A Hurricane, Powderfinger, Rockin' in the Free World, stuff from Greendale, anything else. Genius songwriter, genius musician. I can't say enough, so I'll stop trying.

10. Oskar

Oskar Friend of Leo's

He's a person of high integrity, doesn't follow trends, not lured by the status, speaks his mind, is true to his beliefs, and also writes some damn good songs.
    Even if you don't like him as a musician, you have to respect him as a person.

11. hegn

hegn Tele-Meister

I like him both as a musician and a person!

12. Sarge

Sarge Friend of Leo's

One of the first Neil Young tunes that I learned to play was Powder Finger, the lyric's and his solo's are moving. And who can't forget Cinnamon Girl? The man's voice isn't spectacular nor is his guitar playing, but it all just seems to come together very well. You either like him or don't. I had a lot of his music on 8 tracks and have been replacing them with CD's so I can listen to his older tunes in the truck.

13. goldtopper

goldtopper Friend of Leo's

Neil's Old Black

Anyone got the specs on his old Les Paul? The pups look like chrome dog eared p90s. I love anything that comes out of his guitar, even if it is "tuning optional"

I think he's done more for Bigsby the Gretsch.

14. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

+1

Neil proves that the conventional standards for judging singing and guitar playing ability don't mean squat. It's like judging a book by the grammar and syntax.

15. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

neil, like all of the greats, is truly ORIGINAL. he follows his muse.

he's a sonic painter.

and there will never be another neil young.

rnd z tropicalsoul.net

16. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Godfather of Grunge, cosmic cowboy poet, protest songwriter, anything you want to call the guy - He defies all labels. There are not many artists that have been around as long as Neil that remain fresh and relevant. I've enjoyed Neil since the Buffalo Springfield days. Harvest was one of the first records I ever bought. Heart of Gold is the very first song I learned to play on the guitar. I also learned the harmonica part. All my friends were big NY fans while growing up. We'd buy each album as they came out and learn as many of the songs as we could. Keep on Rockin' in the Free World, Neil.

17. Reno Sepulveda

Reno Sepulveda Tele-Afflicted

I love alot of Neil Young's music, I hate alot of Neil Young's music. But I'll always listen to alot of Neil Young's music.

18. CharlieO

CharlieO Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

It's kind of funny that this thread started today. I just walked into the house from my car, where I had Decade cranked up on the stereo. Just the other day, I put both discs in my player, and have listened to them a couple of times. Prior to this week, I haven't listened to much of Neil's music for at least a couple of years. I'd have to agree with nearly everything that has been written about him in the preceding posts.

Listening to the CD's got me thinking, and I realized that I have never seen Neil in concert, except with Crosby, Still, Nash and Young. I'd like to see one of his own shows. I have had plenty of opportunities, but just never did.

19. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

I've always loved Neil's music. I agree with the other observations here. His work is poetic at the core - his subject matter, words, his shaky vocals, his loose feel in his playing and the timbre of his guitar.

There once was a good article describing his gear linked to HyperRust, the link is still there but broken.

Here's what I remember from that article. The info in this wikipedia article on Neil is I think consistent with this.

Originally a P90 equipped goldtop LP, painted black early on, the bridge pickup failed since Neil had it and was replaced with a Firebird minibucker. The minibucker is very beat up and very microphonic. Deep pits in the fretboard and frets bardly worn. He doesn't want it any of it changed.

His tweed Deluxe apparently has a couple of sweet spots not exactly like those he has found in other tweed Deluxes, and he has bought a few hundred of them trying to find another one like it. He controls the Deluxe through his Whizzer, an electronic remotely controlled device that robotically turns the knobs to those sweet spots. They keep the amp cool in concerts with electric fans and have it positioned somewhere like under the stage on a platform to isolate it from vibrations of the stage. (Miked of course.)

A few of Neil's early songs were some of the first songs I liked enough and found suitable, that I learned them all the way through vocals and chords and a little picking mixed in with the chords. Like the wooden version of Cowgirl in the Sand from Woodstock.

20. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

i tend to lean more to the acoustic side with Neil's stuff...
    favorite songs: "Birds", "Only Love Can Break Your Heart", "Star of Bethlehem"
    favorite albums: AFTER THE GOLD RUSH, HARVEST, COMES A TIME

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.