1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Neil Young - Greendale

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Veitchy, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Veitchy

Veitchy Tele-Afflicted

Upon hearing the news that Neil Young is planning to release a live recording and video of Crazy Horse touring Greendale from a few years back, I've been collecting my thoughts on this record. The album doesn't seem to have split listeners largely down the middle, especially interesting as Young's more recent output with Crazy Horse has been fairly well received.

I for one really like the album. Yes, a lot of the riffs are monotonous (intentionally, I believe) and the songs are pretty long too - it isn't an album of singles, that's for sure. That said, I really like the rambling nature of the album - it has this feeling of the story being retold by an average local bar blues band. The music being so narratively focused gives it a, dare I say it, somewhat Homeric feel. Furthermore, Having spent my youth in the country, and now find myself living in a little seaside town off of a highway the setting especially resonates with me (we definitely have fewer murders though).

I'm wondering if anyone else has any thoughts on this one.

2. BuckSatan

BuckSatan Tele-Meister

I like Greendale a lot, both the album and the movie. In fact, 'Bandit' might be my favorite Neil Young song. 'Bringing Down Dinner' is also an outstanding tune.

Veitchy likes this.
  3. Veitchy

Veitchy Tele-Afflicted

Bandit is a beautiful track, and really creates some pleasant space in the middle of the record.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.