Neil Young "Everybody Knows...." Details?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Texicaster, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

¡Bueno!

Curious if anyone knows the details to the recording of Everybody Know This Is Nowhere" album...

Lots of seminal tunes and guitars riffs on this one and like many over the years with various rigs tried to emulate the tone for fun.

Never quite got the tone until this morning! Was goofing around playing my Wildwood '52 AV Tele through a Fender '57 Champ RI with blueSky reverb and a little compression and BANG! There it was without even trying! I think he may use a drop tuning on Cowgirl but I just played an Am chord and right there!

I know NY likes his Tweed Deluxe but not sure if that was in full swing by then. In fact I only have a cursory knowledge of NY's rigs through the years. I always associated his playing with Ol' Black Les Paul on this recording but sure has a Tele tone in my house now!

Love to see a NY interview that just goes over his gear choices and mods! Be a great Fretboard Journal issue!

Skydog1010 and Old Plank like this.
  2. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

That was the first LP I ever bought. I could probably sing you the guitar solos even though I have not listened to it in years.

3. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

"Everybody Knows" was recorded with Neil's famed '50s Les Paul "Old Black", although it still had a P90 in the bridge at the time and not the Firebird pickup that was added later. I'm fairly certain he played it through a tweed Deluxe that was modified with 6L6s.

Old Plank and Texicaster like this.
  4. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Talk about hitting it out of the park on a 2nd solo ( well/ Crazy Horse) album

Cinnamon Girl
    Down By The River
    Cowgirl in the Sand
    * original Danny Whitten on 2nd guitar right? ( the Rockets)

plus the other nion guitar jam songs, all great songs
    Neil is one remarkable artist

5. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

Ya know it's one of those albums I burned out on but rediscovered it a few years ago and dive in sparingly... If you play it every couple months it still sounds pretty fresh and exciting!

What was Danny playing? I see photos of him with Gretsch most often..

6. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I've read (and still have) many Neil books, bios, mags with gear stuff etc. over the years but ya know, as you get older you start forgetting details argh! However, pretty sure the legend goes that DBTR and Cowgirl, if not C Girl also, were written by Neil while in a delirious 103-4 degree fever out on sailboat, in a very short amount of time. In the Shakey bio there is a picture of Danny by himself with a Strat, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he ever used one along with the Gretsch with Neil/CH. He was playing thru a Bandmaster at least at the inception of CH. There is an extended interview section in which Neil expresses effusive praise and love for Danny's playing, singing and presence. It says Neil was using a '59 Deluxe at this time that he bought for $50 in '67. Old Black came from Jim Messina who found it "uncontrollable" haha. Recording began in Jan. '69 at Wally Heider's/LA, and then in March at Sunwest. Neil named the new band Crazy Horse, and as the book says, the Rockets (previous band of Billy, Ralph and Danny) were history.

Neil's latest CH album 'Colorado' is great btw, on which Nils Lofgren has replaced Frank "Poncho" Sampredo who retired a few years back.

teletimetx likes this.
  7. Old Plank

ps, isn't it something to think that these guys first played together in '68 at a Rockets gig when Neil sat in, and here it is 2020 and three of them - Neil Ralph and Billy - are still playing and recording together. Can anyone else say the same? The Stones with Mick, Keef and Charlie; and the Who with Pete and Roger, are two that come to mind.

Matt G likes this.
  8. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

I'm at most a mediocre NY fan -- but Everybody Knows This is Nowhere is as perfect a record as I've heard and has never left the rotation.

9. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

I get close enough with my Strat HSS, Champion 100 with built in effects, EH Holy Grail verb.

10. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I've been told that the loft of Neil's barn is filled with tweed Deluxes.

A friend of mine has one that Neil has been trying to buy for years, but my friend ain't selling.

- D

11. Old Plank

Yes in one of the 'Greendale' CD editions, there is an accompanying DVD that includes footage from inside his barn at the ranch, and there is a whole wall of shelves filled with tweed Deluxe, unreal.

StrangerNY likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.