Neighbor shoots constantly, everyday...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
No telling. It would have been so different, I can hardly picture it. The way it turned out, I folded the building biz a year or two later in a bad housing slump, and 'got a real job', my wife called it.

[ What the heck I was doing 12 hours a day, 6 days a week, and more in the office after the kids went to bed, I have no idea. At least it wasn't 'work'. That's a relief. ]

I had bought an IBM PC XT, which everyone told me would be good for my business (but they never could say how, exactly). I remember buying the plastic cover for it was important, like it was a prized IBM Selectric... I sat in front of the DOS prompt for quite a while (weeks), messing with copy and NOT delete - no, bad... Turns out the thing was not only crazy expensive, but it needed SOFTWARE, too? What a rip off...

And that plus a bit more was my technical knowledge base when I embarked on a programming career as my chosen 'real job'. That I pulled it off amazes me now. What the hell was I thinking?

Anyway, NONE of that would have happened if I was knee deep in tree bark and horse droppings.

In my darker moments, I think probably I'd have ended up with a broken back. Tree fell the wrong way - but missed me!. However it scared the horse, and he sat on me by mistake.

Something dignified like that.

View attachment 988680

You might have been out monkeying around one day, and stumbled upon a gold cache, the money from a bank robbery, or had an idea completely different from the other stuff you came up with. What ifs are just for pondering. If we change one thing in the universe from the past, the whole thing would go cascading off like a giant cartwheel. I'm reminded of that when I think, man I wish I hadn't ever stumbled into my first wife. Then I realize I wouldn't have had my son, and my grandkids that came from him.

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
You might have been out monkeying around one day, and stumbled upon a gold cache, the money from a bank robbery, or had an idea completely different from the other stuff you came up with. What ifs are just for pondering. If we change one thing in the universe from the past, the whole thing would go cascading off like a giant cartwheel. I'm reminded of that when I think, man I wish I hadn't ever stumbled into my first wife. Then I realize I wouldn't have had my son, and my grandkids that came from him.
Well, a butterfly could have just as easily scared the horse. No, I'm pretty sure it would have ended with a broken back, one way or the other. Dodged a bullet there, I did.

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter

I have a neighbor who runs his droning lawn mower for three times as long as it should take to mow his yard -- three hours of nonsense noise.

And the landscapers who do a string of the new sub lots on the other side really like their obnoxious backpack leaf blowers.

My nearest neighbor is a mechanic. Really nice guy, though we have little in common to talk about. But... it would be interesting to count up all the combustion engines of any size on that one acre. Everything from the many-ton commercial dump truck that is only here "for a while", to the endless go-karts racing around the yard, to the tractor and trailer needed to haul even the tiniest item from point A to B, maybe 100 ft away.

It's just motors, motors, motors.

One time he had a big backhoe in for repairs (he moonlights out of his garage), and the machine operator didn't come to pick it up right away. Those guys are always looking for free parking for big equipment... Anyway, my neighbor must have been thrilled. I don't think he got off it for a whole month.

Finally, one day, he's GARDENING with the thing. Like delicate stuff, picking weeds... It sounds like a tank rumbling around the property... it resonates in your bones, and you (we) can feel it from anywhere in our house, even with doors and windows closed.

So finally that day, I was not feeling well, and my filters were down. "Hey Hugh, are you done yet?"

Must have been the way I said it (I know it was). He just nodded, didn't say a word. Parked it and a few days later it was gone.

He really is a nice neighbor. Maybe if I were deaf...

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
My nearest neighbor is a mechanic. Really nice guy, though we have little in common to talk about. But... it would be interesting to count up all the combustion engines of any size on that one acre. Everything from the many-ton commercial dump truck that is only here "for a while", to the endless go-karts racing around the yard, to the tractor and trailer needed to haul even the tiniest item from point A to B, maybe 100 ft away.

It's just motors, motors, motors.

One time he had a big backhoe in for repairs (he moonlights out of his garage), and the machine operator didn't come to pick it up right away. Those guys are always looking for free parking for big equipment... Anyway, my neighbor must have been thrilled. I don't think he got off it for a whole month.

Finally, one day, he's GARDENING with the thing. Like delicate stuff, picking weeds... It sounds like a tank rumbling around the property... it resonates in your bones, and you (we) can feel it from anywhere in our house, even with doors and windows closed.

So finally that day, I was not feeling well, and my filters were down. "Hey Hugh, are you done yet?"

Must have been the way I said it (I know it was). He just nodded, didn't say a word. Parked it and a few days later it was gone.

He really is a nice neighbor. Maybe if I were deaf...

That's why I want the section of land with the house in the middle of it. I know it's not practical to want to control what other people do, I don't know if I would if I could. I'm like Mr. Scrooge, what do I wish? I wish to be left alone, I mean seriously left alone. Not bothered EVER.

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
Now, I don't mind some shooting. I like guns and live out in the country and I'll pop off some rounds from time to time but this is getting out of control and making my dog a nervous wreck.

What I need is this:
View attachment 987558
And this:
View attachment 987557

And a couple of these:
View attachment 987559

Crank all of that, point it towards that neighbor, plug in my Les Paul and let them hear "Highway to Hell" for a couple of hours at a time.

When I play guitar you will listen to guitar!!!
Tricky situation with shooting and neighbors that you don't know.
Probably be a good idea to go introduce your self the next time you hear them and see what they're about. If they seem friendly enough give em your number and ask them to give you a heads up when they're gonna' be shooting. When I shot regularly I would call and let my only neighbor know beforehand. ( we live in a rural area and can shoot until dark or 10pm)
The dog issue sucks for sure. When I had a little range out back my 2 dogs were used to it and didn't flinch. Same with my recently departed dog until you quit for a while and then they all acted like it was alien demons from hell coming to get them no matter what I would do to console them.
Maybe you could take your pup out for a car ride for a little while. One thing about shooters at home is that eventually it gets old and becomes less frequent. That is unless they are doing gun testing videos for you tube or something similar.

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Tricky situation with shooting and neighbors that you don't know.
Probably be a good idea to go introduce your self the next time you hear them and see what they're about. If they seem friendly enough give em your number and ask them to give you a heads up when they're gonna' be shooting.
And just in cases.... make sure someone knows you went over there... 😁

Status
Not open for further replies.