Neighbor shoots constantly, everyday...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkmw

Poster Extraordinaire
My old friend with the 15 acre farm has neighbors who shoot every day. The first time I heard them I asked “whats up wit the shootin’?”.

He said, oh that’s how you can tell it’s 5 o’clock out here.

CCK1

Tele-Afflicted
I know what you mean. I live on a 10 acre piece of land, closest neighbor is maybe 1/8 mile away. He's a law enforcement officer that trains police K9's. Of course the dogs have to be accustomed to gunfire and not be frightened by it. Over the years, I've probably heard thousands of rounds, it used to bother me, but now I just ignore it.

rand z

Friend of Leo's
Nothing sad about it at all. In 1958 I lived in the middle of 60 acres. My nearest neighbor was a mile and a half away. I thought that was a little close for neighbors, that's why I wanted the section of land. If you've never been completely alone, don't knock it, until you've tried it.

PS:

Check the number of likes for my dream home, apparently, I'm not the only one who can appreciate the right piece of real estate.

I've lived alone and somewhat self isolated a good bit of my adult life.

It was OK.

Now, I find myself with the same woman for over 12 years and that's wonderful!

"Sad?"

I was referring specifically to the WALLS.

Sounds like a prison to me...

(BTW, personally, I wouldn't rely on the majority's opinion to effect my opinion; here, or anywhere else.)

imo.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I've lived alone and somewhat self isolated a good bit of my adult life.

It was OK.

Now, I find myself with the same woman for over 12 years and that's wonderful!

"Sad?"

I was referring specifically to the WALLS.

Sounds like a prison to me...

(BTW, personally, I wouldn't rely on the majority's opinion to effect my opinion; here, or anywhere else.)

imo.

I said it was a dream, I didn't say anything about it being real. I've been married to the same woman for fifty seven years, still play golf from the men's tees, am almost by a matter of days seventy nine years old, and full of P&V! I would be quite comfortable spending my remaining days in the place I describe though.

deytookerjaabs

Friend of Leo's
When I moved to Nashville I cranked up the old half stack a good number of times along with having rehearsals with groups in the living room. The neighbor's response was very odd: "When you guys going to play again?" "Hey, that sounds great" etc etc etc. Back in Illinois it usually meant a cop showing up for noise disturbance.

Uncle Daddy

Friend of Leo's
My father was a competition sharpshooter in the army. He taught me how to handle a rifle at 13, and then said if I was to find myself in service, keep quiet that I could shoot straight, or run the risk of finding myself all alone up a church tower whilst the squad goes off and leaves you there.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
How does he afford it?!
Ammo isn’t cheap these days.
+1

My closest neighbor (proximity) is one of these high end marksmen who wins his share of competitions and gets hired by others to tune up their weapons to perform well in competition.

But he doesn't waste money on cheap ammunition and you can tell, from the rhythm of what he's doing, that he knows precisely what he's doing. There's such obvious purpose to it.

What I like best is, the fool that would come into our area looking for trouble, hasn't been born yet. And isn't due anytime soon!

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
yet another thing that never happens over here

On the other hand...

giphy-downsized-large.gif

mr natural

Friend of Leo's
I used to live in an apartment and the upstairs neighbor would get home around midnight and crank up the Lynyrd Skynyrd. Now I like Lynyrd Skynyrd but not when I have to get up at 6 AM the next day for work. I happened to own a Musicman HD-130 head and a generic 4x12 cab at the time. Half stack beats home stereo every time. Especially with cab propped up on cinder blocks on its back pointed straight up into his living room and all of the knobs dimed. He got the point after a few times.

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
It has long been my dream to own a section of land with a home built in the exact center of it. I would also since I'm dreaming like to have a twenty-foot-high two-foot-thick concrete wall around the whole property. With a twenty-foot-high one inch steel gate at the only road into my home. One can dream.
I presume you mean an actual 'section'. 1/2 mile from the nearest property line. Suh-wheeet.

When I was thirty, I came very, very close to purchasing 330 acres for less than $100 per. All gorgeous hardwood forest in upstate NY. I was going to get a Belgian and do some horse logging to support my family. It would have been a different life, for sure. We would have left behind our life in Connecticut, including my construction business. I was up for it, and amazingly so was my wife. But we were $5000 apart on the negotiation, and neither party could bridge the gap.

C'est la vie.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I presume you mean an actual 'section'. 1/2 mile from the nearest property line. Suh-wheeet.

When I was thirty, I came very, very close to purchasing 330 acres for less than $100 per. All gorgeous hardwood forest in upstate NY. I was going to get a Belgian and do some horse logging to support my family. It would have been a different life, for sure. We would have left behind our life in Connecticut, including my construction business. I was up for it, and amazingly so was my wife. But we were $5000 apart on the negotiation, and neither party could bridge the gap.

C'est la vie.

There is simply nothing in this world that beats having distance between you and your nearest neighbor. Before all of the modern conveniences, I lived a very simple life for about a year on 60 acres that itself was remote from other properties that were inhabited. I had ONE neighbor about a mile and a half from me. I enjoyed freedom in a sense few can even imagine. I roamed the woods of not only our place but the Ouachita National Forest that adjoined our land. I was only thirteen years old, but I knew I was living through a special time in my life, never to be repeated, but often thought of. Too bad your deal didn't work out, no telling what your life would be like today.

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Too bad your deal didn't work out, no telling what your life would be like today.
No telling. It would have been so different, I can hardly picture it. The way it turned out, I folded the building biz a year or two later in a bad housing slump, and 'got a real job', my wife called it.

[ What the heck I was doing 12 hours a day, 6 days a week, and more in the office after the kids went to bed, I have no idea. At least it wasn't 'work'. That's a relief. ]

I had bought an IBM PC XT, which everyone told me would be good for my business (but they never could say how, exactly). I remember buying the plastic cover for it was important, like it was a prized IBM Selectric... I sat in front of the DOS prompt for quite a while (weeks), messing with copy and NOT delete - no, bad... Turns out the thing was not only crazy expensive, but it needed SOFTWARE, too? What a rip off...

And that plus a bit more was my technical knowledge base when I embarked on a programming career as my chosen 'real job'. That I pulled it off amazes me now. What the hell was I thinking?

Anyway, NONE of that would have happened if I was knee deep in tree bark and horse droppings.

In my darker moments, I think probably I'd have ended up with a broken back. Tree fell the wrong way - but missed me!. However it scared the horse, and he sat on me by mistake.

Something dignified like that.

Screen Shot 2022-05-30 at 12.39.02 AM.png

mally

Tele-Afflicted
having heard some of the replies here I want to say I would never try to deliberately piss someone off that had had so much target practice

jvin248

Doctor of Teleocity

I have a neighbor who runs his droning lawn mower for three times as long as it should take to mow his yard -- three hours of nonsense noise.

And the landscapers who do a string of the new sub lots on the other side really like their obnoxious backpack leaf blowers.

Flat6Driver

Friend of Leo's

I have a neighbor who runs his droning lawn mower for three times as long as it should take to mow his yard -- three hours of nonsense noise.

And the landscapers who do a string of the new sub lots on the other side really like their obnoxious backpack leaf blowers.

We have a new neighbor. Met him once. Must be out of state for weeks now. Lawn is a foot high. Don't know his name or contact info, else I'd call and offer (my son) to mow the grass.

Status
Not open for further replies.