Neighbor is gone.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Larry F, Oct 31, 2019.

1. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My parents live in a small country town that accidentally happens to be in California (which is not known for such towns).

One couple owned a house on a pretty desirable lot, and it was presentable and all that. Anyway, the older fellow was diagnosed with cancer but appeared to be doing all right so his wife flew back East to visit with her family (as she hadn't seen them in a while). Once in Ohio this lady called her husband and he sounded fine. But overnight, he took an overdose and set the entire house on fire and it burned up and so did he.

And now, 2 years later and you walk past the vacant lot and grasses are beginning to reclaim the lot - but it is creepy.

I don't know what there is about me, but for the most part, once I move in, Death takes a vacation from that block or neighborhood. I treasure that sense.

2. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

I may have shared this experience before... a classmate of mine lived with her sister, mom and dad. I didn't know her well, but she was in my social group. Anyway, she and her mom and sister were out of town for the weekend and when they returned home, they found her dad had blown his brains out. It was messy. She called me, which was odd, to ask if I would help clean it up. (this is late 70's)... of course, I agreed to and asked my best friend to help me... when his mom caught wind of our chore, she nixed him going as it would probably cause him emotional damage... but, she assented to let me borrow their ranchero to haul everything to the dump (imagine that now!)

It was a terrible job and I was ill a couple of times during it.... but, I got all of it done, carpet removed, popcorn ceiling scraped etc... there is a unique property to the smell and getting it gone was not easy...

Afterward, her mom and Laurie thanked me profusely... a few months later, I asked Laurie why she had asked me to help her and she said, "oh, I remember when your dad died (of cancer) and I knew you probably knew what death and all that stuff was like, so it wouldn't hurt you."

The next year, one of my closest friends committed suicide (ran in front of a car on the 57 freeway..what a ghastly thing to do to an innocent person driving down the road) and my buddy (the one who was not allowed to help clean up the suicide) and I were pallbearers... I have to say, that was a much more difficult experience than scraping brain and bone off the ceiling of a hot, dank bedroom...

I am not sentimental or superstitious about this kind of thing. It would not bother me one way or the other to own or buy or whatever a house where someone had passed.... I just don't believe in ghosts or spirits... I just don't. Just the living.

Bellacaster and nvilletele like this.
  3. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

hahaha

getbent likes this.
  4. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

If it's an Ambulance you got a chance,,,,,
    If it's a Hearse, it's gotta be worse,,,,,

I'll see myself to the door:oops:

5. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

. . . The dark one is lurking in the shadows .

6. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

People die. It's a fact, you could look it up.

7. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

The meaning of life is that it stops.

Bones likes this.
  8. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

It's not the cough that'll carry you off
    It's the coffin they'll carry you off in

Dan German likes this.
  9. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yup - right outside my office window. Crime-scene tape and all.

Attached Files:

boneyguy likes this.
  10. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

As my late brother used to say:

The older you get, the more dead people you know.

I’m just pissed that he had to be added to that list . . . .

Grant Austin and tery like this.
  11. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire

What do you know, you’re just a bug.

12. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

fact.

What makes things interesting is HOW they happen and WHY they happen and WHEN they happen not simply that they happen.

13. DaddyG

DaddyG Tele-Meister

My cousin had a real neat house in a nice suburb near here. Well, he moved some years ago into an older house, so i asked him why he left the other house, he said that all the neighbors on his street were dying and it spooked him so he booked. That was over twenty years ago and he's still here ( eighty years old ) and they have all passed on.

getbent likes this.
  14. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

IA City is far from "small".

I grew up about 30m south of there. All those small towns have had an influx of gangs since I moved away in the late 80's. Meth was just getting big back then. My town looks like a nasty pawn shop.

15. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

My dad died when I was 8. Early life lesson. Learned it way before the assistance of the internet.

Toto'sDad and getbent like this.
  16. reckless toboggan

reckless toboggan Tele-Meister

****. That sucks dude. I'm so sorry you had to go through that.

getbent likes this.
  17. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

If this stuff keeps up Larry, you may get to where you don't like garage bands either! Having a bunch of teens living in the same house, what could happen? (probably anything you can imagine, and then some)

18. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

My old man was a magic act. He didn't die, he just disappeared when I was ten years old. I ain't saying he ain't coming back, but if he does it'll surprise the hell out of both of us!

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  19. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I always get in trouble when I make shortcuts in my writing. Actually, my town is University Heights, pop. 1,100 or so. We are surrounded on all sides by Iowa City, which certainly is large in comparison. Our most pressing problem is developers seeking to rezone anything that doesn't walk.

bender66 likes this.
  20. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

You recently mentioned garage bands and me in the same post. I noticed it a couple of weeks ago and just went "huh?" My recall of things isn't nearly as sharp as it used to be, so I'm guessing that you're bringing up garage bands with me for a purpose? I'm a little lost.

Toto'sDad likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.