Needed: Snow Blower advice.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by GGardner, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Hobs

Hobs Tele-Meister

As a Southerner, this is like seeing aliens discuss the relative merits of different flying saucers.:)

2. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Tele-Meister

Many years ago we experienced a large snow storm. It just kept snowing for days at a rate where as fast as i could shovel, it was falling faster. Before it stopped i had snow piled up as high as i could toss it and was exhausted. Back hurt, arms hurt, just done. And knew without a doubt this must never happen again.
    WE went out and purchased a blower. Big dog. 28" wide, big motor, electric start. Stuck it in the shed and waited. Never put the first tank of fuel in it for four years. Insurance.
    Then it came. Serious snow forecast. I filled the tank, fired it up and warmed it up, staged it in a spot and was prepared. I
    The next morning there it was. 18" and rising. I pulled on my winter gear, insulated overalls, Sorel boots and fired that thing up.
    i cleared my driveway, several other driveways, the sidewalk from one end of the block to th other. Smiling the whole time.

My advise. Dont skimp. Forget the single stage and go at least one step bigger than you think is the biggest you would possibly ever need.
    I have never regretted it.

I went with the Troy Built brand, and would describe it as a "bad ass" but I wouldnt discourage anyone from any major brand and agree with the people who suggest Honda power.

I also agree very strongly with the suggestions of using StaBil. In all gas power equipment at all times. Any fuel that sits for more than a month should always be treated. Cant endorse this strongly enough. Major headache reducer.I

I also have a tool that sucks out the oil for annual maint on my various power equipment. It literally takes me about fifteen minutes max to change all the oil on a substantial inventory of tools. And all the used oil is in an easily transported and drained container. No mess, no fuss.

Oh and the snow blower has the electric start feature,, and I think its a good idea but....
    Honestly I have never needed it. Starts first pull every time and the pull start is so easy my wife could easily start it.
    Look for the big oversized pull handle though. Works well with winter gloves.

If only more manufacturers would design in the capability to easily drain the fuel on seasonal equipment. That would make this thing a five star buy.

It has eaten bagged newspapers and a garden hose buried in the snow and never missed a beat.
    And I would never recommend an underpowered or single stage unit. Be prepared for the worst, you wont regret it.

Milspec, GGardner and Telecastoff1 like this.
  3. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Holic

I live way down in the woods and have a very long, steep asphalt driveway that can get extremely treacherous in the winter. In all the years we've been here, we've destroyed countless shovels, worn out two salt spreaders, and went thru four good-sized snow blowers. Even owned a little Bobcat 610 for several years....it did the job fairly well, but was too dangerous to operate on our steep hill, so I sold it before the worst could happen to me. Bought a snow blade for my John Deere garden tractor. It worked great until I would run out of room to push and stack the snow. So, I decided to look for a new snow blower again. It just so happened that two years ago, after one of our 18" snowfalls with ice included hit us, my neighbor up the road was out moving snow with his two stage Ariens. I stopped and asked him how he liked his, as I see more Ariens around here than most any other brand. He let me try his out on my driveway. Wow! I could not believe the power, handling and the distance that could throw really wet snow. I knew I had to have one like that. So, last October 2018, I went out and bought myself a brand new Ariens two stage blower. What a great machine! Nothing slowed this down last winter......not even the thick, wet half-frozen crap the city and county snow plows pile in at the end of my driveway! Go Ariens!

Tommy Biggs, GGardner and DonM like this.
  4. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I hear you. A good friend from college fell over dead shoveling snow. Not me either.

GGardner likes this.
  5. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Afflicted

It's certainly worth a sit-down discussion. My wife and I did the same and agreed a snowblower is an investment. A worthy one, IMO. It can literally benefit your overall health. If you don't mind purchasing on credit, even the big box stores have their own CC's (Home depot - Lowes comparison) - it can be a good deal. IF you can pay off the balance in the interest free time period. If not, the deferred-interest quickly turns it into a rotten deal.

GGardner likes this.
  6. Tek1

Tek1 TDPRI Member

I have a 26" 8 hp Tecumseh engine Ariens. Two stage is the way to go. Electric start is a must. The drive is cotter pin locking axle. Only had to put the cotter pins in both wheels once for a three foot snow fall. Tecumseh stopped production in 2008 Honda engine would be the better engine. Briggs, and Stratton would be my second choice. IMO

GGardner likes this.
  7. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Holic

Sone Honda's can be finicky on fuel freshness, but that's livable

GGardner likes this.
  8. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity

Yup take advice on snowblowers from a guy who lives in Africa
    :lol:

Telecastoff1 and GGardner like this.
  9. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Tele-Meister

Yeah I wasnt going to touch that aspect, there is just no way to put it without sounding a bit like a judgemental jerk I fear..
    But here it is anyway-

If the price point is decided based on what you can "sneak past" your wife, you may have problems far bigger than needing a snow blower.
    I buy a cheap used guitar,(or other various musical instruments) she laughs and scolds me due to the lack of space in the three rooms they are already scattered around in.
    I buy a new guitar (or snow blower etc.) Without an open discussion......
    Well lets just say I'd need the snow blower for that cold day in hell.

The only thing I might try and "sneak by" is a cheeseburger, but yeah.... She would know. :)

Be a good partner and team mate.

GGardner and KevinB like this.
  10. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Bought a new Arians a few years back, works great other than you have to wressel the darned thing around.
    Last winter my dad's Cub Cadet (they're junk) died so mine is there now. This winter I need one since I moved and I'm not going to ask for mine back. Was thinking about buying another one. Then out of the blue my sister calls and asks if I'd want two snowblowers for free!
    These things are vintage! The Allis Chalmers is one well built old machine, can't wait to try it. (ok I really hope it doesn't snow) 2019092995141505.jpg 2019092995141502.jpg

11. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

I don't recall ever seeing over 8 inches of snow on my drive, but interestingly I am suspicious of a cold winter this year and bought a snowblower on a very hot June day for £100 used

Everyone thought I was insane testing it on my drive

GGardner, Tommy Biggs and Milspec like this.
  12. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

They said the same thing to Noah.

GGardner likes this.
  13. elmoscafeo

elmoscafeo Tele-Afflicted

I live in the Chicago Suburbs and use a 24" 2-Stage Ariens.

GGardner likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.