Needed a Router Plane for cutting a truss rod channel...

novakane

TDPRI Member
Lee Valley has a nice small one and the cutter is exactly the right size for making and cleaning up a truss rod channel.
Only problem is, it is currently out of stock until at least late April. (queue sad trombone)
But, never fear - they did have replacement blades in stock so I bought one of those and made the rest myself!

IMG_4962.jpeg

There is a 3D printed PETG carrier for clamping the blade into the base, it gets set tight using an embedded square nut pulled back by a brass thumbscrew.
Easy peasy, it works and now I don't have to wait until the Spring.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
That is beautiful. Making something using tools you made yourself adds a magic to the finished item that otherwise does not exist.

There is a really great affordable router plane available on Amazon. Top quality: Cowryman Router Plane.

I cannot get the link to work!

novakane

TDPRI Member
That is beautiful. Making something using tools you made yourself adds a magic to the finished item that otherwise does not exist.

There is a really great affordable router plane available on Amazon. Top quality: Cowryman Router Plane.

I cannot get the link to work!
I know the one you are talking about, I may pick one up in the future for other projects. The iron is a little too wide for the truss rods that I have so it wasn't going to be useful to me for the neck I'm working on right now unfortunately.

novakane

TDPRI Member
Some detail of the carrier mechanism - I just printed a new one out of nylon with embedded carbon fibre. This is tougher and stiffer than my PETG prototype and has a rougher surface.
This will allow me to clamp the iron in more securely and it's less likely to slip and rotate.
I don't know why Veritas used a round shaft but the new piece will help counter that.
IMG_4964.jpeg

I was originally planning to make this piece in brass but when I attempted it, I quickly found that the tools I have were not up to the task, so 3D printing to the rescue!

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Lee Valley has a nice small one and the cutter is exactly the right size for making and cleaning up a truss rod channel.
Only problem is, it is currently out of stock until at least late April. (queue sad trombone)
But, never fear - they did have replacement blades in stock so I bought one of those and made the rest myself!

View attachment 943155

There is a 3D printed PETG carrier for clamping the blade into the base, it gets set tight using an embedded square nut pulled back by a brass thumbscrew.
Easy peasy, it works and now I don't have to wait until the Spring.
Really nice work there. Back when I taught JH woodshop, I had the kids use an old stanley router plane when necessary. That is until some child dropped it on the concrete floor and the casting broke. I have a couple around here that I picked up at flea markets. One day I'll sharpen the cutter...LOL and put it where I can find it. I've always thought about making a steel scraper for truss rod channels with a left over 3/16" steel rod, wood and a couple fasteners.

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Sweet!

No waiting, and you likely saved yourself a bundle, too. I can't remember how much I paid for my Veritas RP, but it was definitely more than the cost of the blade!