Need your opinion guys (pedal placement)

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by petemoss41, Oct 1, 2019.

1. petemoss41

petemoss41 TDPRI Member

I have a fairly medium to big pedal board.
    But on the gain side of things, I've always kept things simple.
    For years, I have used a Bluesdriver to boost my BB Preamp.
    However, I recently got a really nice Klon klone.
    I am strugging whether to put the Klon before the BB to fatten it up, and use the Bluesdriver as a boost, or if I should swap their places on the board?
    Not sure if either is ideal. I am fairly new to Klon Klones, and I know it is all personal preference, but I am really curious to see what some of you think would be best?

Thanks guys!

2. blackguts

blackguts Tele-Meister

Boost after dirt if you want more volume. Boost before dirt if you want dirtier dirt.

3. petemoss41

petemoss41 TDPRI Member

Exactly, I think I am just trying to figure out which pedal (klon or BD-2) to put before and which to put after?
    It might be a dumb question to be fair

4. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Meister

I have a klone and I personally like it earlier in the chain. I like other pedals being after it’s buffer and I like using it as a lower gain drive. When I have it after a dirt pedal I like and use it as a boost I almost feel like too much of the klon sound takes over. Best to just try a few things out and see what happens

petemoss41 likes this.
  5. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

I am familiar with at least one Klon clone, I don't know if they are alike, so caveat there. I am also familiar with the BD, but have never played a BB pre. I personally like and use a pre amp before OD and Dist. My order goes 1. Clinch Pre 2. Tim OD 3. Suhr Riot. I use the pre and OD by far the most and really like to drive the OD with the pre.

With your set up I'd try it all possible ways. I'd try the BB into the Klon first then the other way around. You might also like the Blues Driver set mostly as a boost into the Klon or the other way around. One of my favorite set ups is to drive a distortion with an OD. Nothing new as David Gilmour has been driving a Muff with a Tube driver since about 1970, but it really is a glorious sound.

petemoss41 likes this.
  6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

FYI: Once you decide on the order, this pedal is a blast to use with your dirt pedals for more fun.
    IMG_4090.JPG

petemoss41 likes this.
  7. blackguts

blackguts Tele-Meister

The klon first straight from the guitar with the bb near the end as a solo boost would be my choice. I have owned two bd-2s and found them harsh.

8. GregGreyson

GregGreyson TDPRI Member

Not a dumb question but might depend on rest or your signal chain (guitar, amp, & your style). Try it both ways with some temp cables and see which you like best.

9. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Try it both ways and see which one floats your boat...

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  10. teledude66

teledude66 Friend of Leo's

I was using a Pinnacle, Tumnus Deluxe, Paisley Drive Deluxe, and an R.C. Booster in that order. The Pinnacle was really squeally if used with the Tumnus, the gain was 12 o'clock or less, and the volume less that 12. I switched the Tumnus to first in the chain, and it tamed the Pinnacle. I actually used it this last gig, and really liked it. It had been taking up space, I only used it at home. Now it'll get some action.

petemoss41 likes this.
  11. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

Try it to verify, but...

I would go Klone--> BB--> BD2.

If you put the Blues Driver before the BB, I don't know how much different the tone will be other than louder and dirtier. There isn't a ton of midrange to push through with that circuit. The Klone would give you the mid push to give you a lead sound, and then you could use the BD2 to be an overall level boost.

Just my 2 cents, YMMV.

teledude66 and petemoss41 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.