Need Your Expertise - Which Current Fender Telecaster Model Do Feel Offers The Greatest Value Without Sacrificing Playability And Performance?

IrishBread69

Tele-Holic
That's a hell of a story.

At least part of me is satisfied I gave you some good advice.

More importantly I'm pleased you have a new best friend. Enjoy!

SlapshotOne

TDPRI Member
Pictures, as requested

Attachments

• 20221031_010347.jpg
    20221031_010347.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 20221031_010401 (1).jpg
    20221031_010401 (1).jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 65

msalama

Tele-Afflicted
Well the best bang for the buck guitar I have is my Fender FSR Road Worn '72 Telecaster Deluxe 2010. Was cheap, plays awesome, sounds great. The PUs have nothing to do with original WRHBs though, because they're just generic humbuckers in WRHB casings. But they sound good regardless!

LowCaster

Tele-Afflicted
Pictures, as requested
Gorgeous! Strong vintage vibe there: Vintage tuners and neck shape, nitro finish, beautifull sunburst. The cutout bridge and binding are nice additions. The relic job looks very light and tasty, you don’t have to worry about adding wear to the guitar. Just play it.

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
As the title says. I'm trying to determine which current model in the Fender Telecaster line offers the best overall value. If we overlook fancier finishes and higher end hardware, which version offers the best bang for the buck while not sacrificing playability and performance?

I wouldn't overlook 'higher end' hardware (I read that as 'better quality' hardware). I think the hardware is an important part of the guitar. Poor hardware on an otherwise good guitar can really let it down in both playability and performance.

Best bang for the buck is always going to be a used guitar. You can pretty much jump up a couple of tiers for the same money.

Used Vintera for the price of a high end squier, used American for the price of a Mexican etc.

I have an AO 60's precision here for string change and set up that my mate paid around what a new Performer costs. ... and almost half of what a new 60's Vintage II costs. Unless you are pretty well off, buying new is usually not a great deal.

Festofish

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I got an Affinity Mustang in a trade. It plays just great. Sounds good bridge wise. Sure you’re not going budget but buy one that interests you. Who cares what I like or the rest of these people. Buy what you like.

RhythmFender

Tele-Holic
Vinteras are great. I just got a new American pro II to replace my Vintera, but I passed up a ton of other more expensive American and Mexican made teles before I settled on that. It’s all how it feels really. Good luck shopping! Have fun!

Redduke

TDPRI Member
Not sure if they are still available but I have a FSR Squier Esquire in Seafoam Green. The quality of production is up there with the best. Plus an Esquire really makes you focus on your playing and your attack in order to get the best out of it. All you need and nothing you don't. I think Brad Paisley may have been referring to my guitar when he said “The thing about the Tele is it's a cutting board with a neck:)

JBurton

Tele-Meister
Even at your early stage of playing you should test drive the different options. See if you feel and hear differences in Squire, MIJ, MIM and MIA.
I’ve not played Squire, but my opinion based on my experience and listening to others, if you mail order the instrument, on average you have a 90% chance of loving an MIA, 80% for the MIM, and 50% chance for the Squire.
However, any factory built instrument can use a setup from a good tech who knows his stuff, so if a Squire or any other guitar is a little rough, it can be improved with the right attention.
Of course there goes another $150 or so!?!

mwpv11

TDPRI Member
As the title says. I'm trying to determine which current model in the Fender Telecaster line offers the best overall value. If we overlook fancier finishes and higher end hardware, which version offers the best bang for the buck while not sacrificing playability and performance?

I'm two years into learning to play and still clearly a novice. Also, where I live, a store may have a couple models but no more than that. Your expertise and thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
If the Fendrr name isnt a requirement I recomnend the Swuire Classic Vibe hands down one of the best Teles out there. They just came out with one that has a humbucker in the neck pickup. I own many Fender Teles made in USA and Mexico and China and all are great but my Squire Classic Vibes get the most use and the best part is they are relatively affordable.

xtrajerry

Doctor of Teleocity

I'm two years into learning to play and still clearly a novice. Also, where I live, a store may have a couple models but no more than that. Your expertise and thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Value is subjective, in the past I thought the Road Worn Guitars were fantastic bargain, now I’d say the Vintera line, Player Plus & JV Modified. Mexican standards can be great but need to cherry pick them. Some are perfect others I’d pass on.
I use to browse Guitar Center’s used guitars online. Depending upon the guitar you can get a great deal and if you don’t like it can return for free at the nearest GC store. A phone call to the store manager at the store that’s listing it can get you a better price as well.

KW1977

Tele-Holic
I think MIM is a solid bet all around. They are in many ways equal to if not sometimes surpass similar MIA models. The Squier VM
and CV are certainly great but little things like a flimsy pickup switch or crummy QC on the bridge turned me off, personally. I’ve owned many a Tele from nearly all countries of origin and the MIM stuff consistently wows me the most.

BlueTele

Tele-Meister
I would love to tell you that a Fender is your best choice. It might be...I don't know you and your needs, but... I played Fender Teles and Strats for many years, then like a lot of us, I found the "nirvana" Tele...the Tele of a lifetime that took me back to being a 13-14 year old kid playing all of those butterscotch black guards from the '50's when I was a kid in the late '60's and early '70's, sitting in the original little Guitar Center on Sunset Blvd in Hollywood on a Saturday afternoon. This guitar maker changed my life. The guitar: Whitfill. Charles Whitfill is a 2 man shop in Lebanon, KY...not far from Lexington, KY. He does everything by hand. No CNC machines, and no bodies or necks from third-party "parts" companies. He cuts shapes each neck himself. He cuts and shapes each body himself. His finished '52 Tele of whatever neck depth and nut width you choose, weighs in at 7.0lbs or less...mostly 6.5 - 6.75lbs. Yep...featherlight well-selected ash. Tone comes from his great ears and the work of Kerry Learned at Onamac Windery pickups who winds a special proprietary set of what Charles calls "Usual Suspects" and "Grey Aliens" pickups. He just recently added "Copperheads" as well. They are all great. So...my message is: I would expand or widen your view of available choices of guitars and brands. You are ultimately looking for a great Telecaster. Those don't always come with the Fender decal on them. And Fenders can get quite expensive. A brand new Whitfill will be $3,195. You can get Excellent/Mint condition Whitfill's on line for $2,395 - $2,695. You'll never regret it. I actually only miss "one" Fender Tele that I wish I could find again: a 2012/13 Custom Shop Limited Edition alder body with a maple neck (odd and non-traditional wood combination) with a 4-way switch, and it only came in one color: Celadon Green with an anodized gold, and a heavy relic finish...incredible looking guitar. Great tone and feel out of that guitar as well. Good luck in your search. I highly recommend Whitfill. Take a look at them.

Teleconvert53

TDPRI Member

I'm two years into learning to play and still clearly a novice. Also, where I live, a store may have a couple models but no more than that. Your expertise and thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Player Plus Nashville. Tele and Strat in one guitar. Love mine

deepintheblues

TDPRI Member
Like yourself I’m a relative beginner.
This is my thoughts on this for what it’s worth.

The best value guitar is one you’ll pick and play.

Having said that…..

A MIM Tele with single coils.
A Nashville Deluxe, very playable, but it feels heavier than my Tele.
I have both. My favourite at the moment is the Tele.
My guitar tutor swears by Squiers.

rjtwangs

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
In truth, the best bang for the buck is THE guitar that lights you up every time you touch it or look at it! Regardless of the cost! Budgets are different amongst all of. Some have budgets where a vintage 1960 telecaster is affordable, for some a Custom Shop Masterbuilt is affordable and yet for some a Squier is affordable. Whatever your situation may be, you can almost always find a guitar that whispers your name the moment you touch it....THAT ONE is the best bang for your buck...merely my opinion, ymmv, yada yada yada...
20200527_082227.jpg

My original 1959 Custom Telecaster, the best bang for my bucks ever!!

RJ

SmokinJoe992

TDPRI Member
To me the best answer to this question is without a doubt “used MIM Fender”. 1) very easy to find and try before you buy, 2) very easy to mod and customize to your liking, but completely usable as is, and most importantly 3) very easy to sell (generally for about the same as you paid for it) when you are done with it.