Need Wizard Level Advice.

TwigNStrings

TDPRI Member
So I have a 2008 Fender Road Worn 50s Telecaster, and I really enjoy the feel of the guitar (the sound too, truthfully) even if it's an ugly dog.

While I initially wasn't a mega fan of the heavy relic job on the finish I really really like the neck shape/size and finish, along with the thinness of the blonde nitro which is just now really coming into it's own.

The time has come, and I would like to add another Tele to the stable but would like it to have the same neck profile and overall feel of this particular guitar. I understand it should be a "U" profile I need to look for but was wondering if anyone here can narrow my search.

I have many guitars, almost all are more expensive than this ugly MIM beast, but none seemingly match how this feels and plays for me. It's my main bar guitar for a good reason.

What should I be searching for, fellas? Doesn't need to be new, I'm patient and will wait for the right one to pop up used just the same. Starting my search early so I don't buy impulsively.

Thanks Fellas!

Beebe

Tele-Afflicted
You could find a body you like and put this on it:

Seems to be a couple for sale. Here's a sunburst one, and it's from 2008 as well.

bgmacaw

Doctor of Teleocity
...I should add the disclaimer... I am indeed no Wizard.

wizard1_400.gif

TwigNStrings

TDPRI Member
AV 52. They self relic. Beefy neck. Killer guitars. Look no further. Thank me later.
Yeah, thanks for letting me know about this, I had no idea about this particular line of reissues. Really seems like it ticks the same boxes as my current Tele.

I have the Blonde/Whiteguard 50's RW, and it is seemingly differently specced than the Sunburst/Blackguard. I had zero intentions of buying the Tele, but I played it at the store by mistake and couldn't chance someone else getting this one, it was honestly THAT good. Compared to the other ones I've seen online, mine in particular is gross, rusty, dirty, just beat honestly. Just received some brass Fender USA barrels to swap in today....

Thanks a lot everyone.

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
So I have a 2008 Fender Road Worn 50s Telecaster, and I really enjoy the feel of the guitar (the sound too, truthfully) even if it's an ugly dog.

While I initially wasn't a mega fan of the heavy relic job on the finish I really really like the neck shape/size and finish, along with the thinness of the blonde nitro which is just now really coming into it's own.

The time has come, and I would like to add another Tele to the stable but would like it to have the same neck profile and overall feel of this particular guitar. I understand it should be a "U" profile I need to look for but was wondering if anyone here can narrow my search.

I have many guitars, almost all are more expensive than this ugly MIM beast, but none seemingly match how this feels and plays for me. It's my main bar guitar for a good reason.

What should I be searching for, fellas? Doesn't need to be new, I'm patient and will wait for the right one to pop up used just the same. Starting my search early so I don't buy impulsively.

Thanks Fellas!
So, why another Tele. What needs to be different about it? If you’re happy with the one you have, apart from the finish, I’d say hunt down another with a finish you like. It’ll give you the neck and finish you like. Anything else can be easily changed. One word of caution. I have two Strat Am series, made in the same year and not too far apart serial numbers. My teacher has two ‘identical’ ‘89 Strats. We’ve both been trying forever to get our pair to feel the same. We’ve tried the scientific approach, setting every setting exactly tge same, and the blindfold feel approach. I would suggest that identical feel is next to impossible, several guitars that feel good is as close as it gets.

TwigNStrings

TDPRI Member
Why another Tele? Because I sound better playing a Tele than any other guitar I own. I have a Strat, a Jazzmaster, a 61 SG RI, and none of em come close to the feel and fun in playing that grubby simple Telecaster. I didn't even want a Tele but played this Road Worn and couldn't leave without the darn thing.

Doesn't need to be "the same" but I definitely want it to be similar, and if I'm going for it I don't want just another MIM one and would like to get into a US made one. The Road Worn was an experiment and 14 years later it's the guitar I always pick up. To me that definitely counts for something.

RichCuellarPDX

Tele-Meister
Why another Tele? Because I sound better playing a Tele than any other guitar I own. I have a Strat, a Jazzmaster, a 61 SG RI, and none of em come close to the feel and fun in playing that grubby simple Telecaster. I didn't even want a Tele but played this Road Worn and couldn't leave without the darn thing.

Doesn't need to be "the same" but I definitely want it to be similar, and if I'm going for it I don't want just another MIM one and would like to get into a US made one. The Road Worn was an experiment and 14 years later it's the guitar I always pick up. To me that definitely counts for something.
I feel the exact same way about my 2011 RW 50s. I actually prefer Stratocasters and hate relic'd guitars, but my RW Tele is so comfortable and lightweight, I just dont seem to play anything else. Plus, after installing some Jim Weider pickups, its the best sounding one also.

65 Champ Amp

Tele-Afflicted
Not a wizard, and I flunked out of apprentice school, too…

First, I absolutely concur that you deserve another Telecaster. But I have to ask, why is it dirty? Don’t you have one of these in your back pocket?
C69D1054-F806-4611-9B16-9F51B11E3538.jpeg
A little spit (read that in Vintage Guitar, or Guitar Player decades ago before the internet killed magazines) is the best solvent.

The silly factory All Look The Same template relicing is harder to get rid of unless you want to take her apart and refinish it, which is what I would do.

Anyway, all options are open, as long as you’ve got the money. So many great choices!
Don’t go forgetting the lesson you learned, though ~ there’s only one way to find the ONE that feels and plays best for you. Gotta get it in your hands.

jvin248

Doctor of Teleocity
... mine in particular is gross, rusty, dirty, just beat honestly. ...

If the only problem is cleanliness of a bar guitar ... easily cleaned up with your favorite cleaner.

Only you know you are playing a MIM on stage at the bar. No one is going to think you sound bad because you are not playing an MIA model.

'Blueprint' the dimensions of the neck you have that you like. It's most likely the carve on the rear shoulders, not the width/depth at the nut. Compare a typical Squier Strat to an MIA/MIM Fender Strat and you'll see how carve style really reduces the neck circumference. Also, measure your fret wire and string gauges.

chris m.

Doctor of Teleocity
Rather than try to find a guitar that matches your current baby, maybe be faithful to it and realize any other Tele will end up playing second fiddle. Get something completely different instead so you don't end up disappointed with a guitar that is close but no cigar. Get a Gretsch, a 335-style, a shredder pointy-headstock HH guitar, whatever.

Brent Hutto

Tele-Holic
I thought for a moment you were going to get an Ibanez shredder guitar with one of their "Wizard" thin-and-flat necks. I was all set to say "Rock On".