1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Need Wiring Help!

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Bob M, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Trying to wire my Tele in a standard configuration. Switch towards the neck neck pick up. Middle positioning both pick ups and bridge pick up by itself. The problem is that there is a volume reduction in the bridge pick up in the middle position. I don’t know if that’s normal or not. Any advice?

2. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Meister

Is it JUST a volume reduction or is there a massive tone change as well?

First thing that comes to mind is, the two pickups are out of phase with each other.

3. Bob M

Just a volume reduction. The pick ups are a matched set of SD Antiquity pick ups out of the 90s. Individually each pick up is strong. Just not together.

4. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Can you post a clear, close-up photo of the back of the control plate with the wiring and components?

Also: does the cavity have shielding foil or shielding paint in it?

5. Bob M

I will in the morning. I have had a rough day.

Peegoo likes this.
  6. Billy3

Billy3 TDPRI Member

Sounds like a wiring issue maybe? Is bridge pup the only problem? If so check that with multimeter. Double check, tripple check all soldering points in your wiring and the same with your diagram. That should do you fine.Just make sure you get everything wired correctly and use a multimeter. One mistake in wiring can throw everything off. Good luck. Keep on pickin!

7. Bob M

I did recheck everything this morning. I have a new multimeter and I am not that knowledgeable about it. I measured at the switch tabs. In the middle position the back pick up dropped by half. Does that make sense? I readjusted pick up heights and it sounds good. At this point I think I may be over analyzing this. I’m going to let it sit for a few days and come back to it with a clearer mind.

8. Billy3

Billy3 TDPRI Member

Yes. Your middle position should be half of your average of bridge and neck pickups combined. So if your neck is 6k and bridge 6k, middle position should be around 3. If you wire them in series you will get around 12. In the middle position your middle position is a combination of both neck and bridge in parallel. This will cut the output a bit compared to bridge alone or neck alone. If you wire them in series you will get both outputs together... In seriies. Many ways to do this, just Google about it. I like a Tele 4way switch. It gives you both series,parallel,neck,bridge. Highly recommend it on a Tele! Lots of options available! Keep on pickin!!!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.