Need tuners for my 68 Tele...

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
Fender?

or is there another type?

hal

Tele-Afflicted
This says 70's. Fender went to Schaller in about 74-75. They won't work on my 68......But thanks for this link. I am trying to find a way to ask them.

hal

Tele-Afflicted
According to Zac Childs......they won't work. He usually knows his stuff. I have asked him to be sure.

hal

Tele-Afflicted
That is awesome! And I will pay for them if they work. What year are they? If they are from 74 or beyond...I would have to drill the headstock to make them fit. I don't want to do that of course. Any pics?? Let me know and thanks!!!

Joe M

Super Moderator
Staff member
hal, guess I wasn’t too clear, the set I have are Fender branded repo’s that are, at best, 5 years old, not the real deal, 70’s vintage one’s. If those will work, the offer still stands, let me know.

Tuxedo Poly

Friend of Leo's
AFAIK, the original Fender tuners were replaced by the Schallers which have a collar so the tuner drillings in the headstock would need enlarging. Fender replaced Schaller with Ping some years ago and recent packs of the F tuners have been labeled Korea.

Fender
Fender_made_F_tuner_mod.jpg

Schaller and Ping made for Fender
Fender_F_tuner_03.jpg

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
Does anyone make replacement F tuners for the late 60's early 70's tele? Help and thanks.
What kind of trouble are you having with yours? All of them, or just one?

If you live in Memphis, why not visit some guitar shops? Many luthiers/techs have drawers full of vintage parts. You may be able to purchase a period-correct single. Another place to look is at guitar shows. Some shops will bring those boxes of vintage parts for people to sort through. Kinda depends on how much effort you want to put into this.

Another possible option is to buy the 70's set and take a Dremel/die grinder/cutter to that pot metal collar. It could ruin the tuner, but it looks to me (from above pix) if you could get rid of the collar, the 70s version would fit. 2022-06-29_09h00_51.jpg

Last edited:

warrent

Friend of Leo's
Schaller makes them to original spec,

hal

Tele-Afflicted
UPDATE--the Schallers won't work without drilling. I have ordered a set of tuners that are period correct.........

hal

Tele-Afflicted
These are from the 60's......period correct and no drilling. Not cheap....