1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

need tuner advice

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Unpossible, Jan 12, 2021.

1. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

What's wrong with the tuners you have now?

2. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Gotoh, Grover, Schaller, or Sperzel if you want locking tuners. All great machines that will last a lifetime.

John Nicholas likes this.
  3. Unpossible

Unpossible TDPRI Member

Hi all,
    thanks for the advice. I've just never thought much about tuners before, and just trying to make sense of the choices.
    tuning ratio, weight, staggered heights, locking or not, etc.

4. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

I find locking tuners more convenient than helpful. I'm a fan of Gotoh vintage tuners. Well priced and solid.

5. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

1. Don't spend big bucks. A tuner is a tuner and gears are gears. I've got 15 sets of them both moderately priced and expensive and they all do the job well.

2. Locking tuners have absolutely no effect on tuning stability. In fact unless they are extremely substandard tuners in general are almost never the cause of tuning instability.

3. The convenience factor of locking tuners is vastly over stated. With locking tuners you stick the string through the hole, turn the wheel to lock it and then tighten the string. Without locking tuners you bend the string, stick it through the hole, give it a half turn and then tighten it. My take on it is that if I was going to spend 30% to 40% more for convenience sake I'd be wanting to get a whole lot more convenience for my money than that.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    howardlo likes this.
  6. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Amy aftermarket tuner with at least an 18:1 gear ratio will work nicely. Consider whether you want locking tuners for easy string changes. Also consider how they are mounted. Fender tuners have two little posts sticking into little holes in the neck. If you want to use screw-down tuners you will be putting extra holes in the neck.

7. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

Almost any good quality modern tuner will tune the strings. I have some definite criteria for the ones I put on any guitar

- They have to fit the style of the guitar. Many of my guitars are vintage inspired, I use tuners that look correct for the age. That means open gears on my acoustics (Waverly or Gotohs), Golden Era style on depression era guitars. Gibson inspired guitars get Klusons or something that looks like them. I mostly don't care on Fender style guitars - Gotohs work fine. On something totally modern or a bit off the wall I like modern looking tuners - the double neck got Grover 510's - medium on the 6 string, minis on the 12. All of those have worked just fine.

- They have to be in the budget of the guitar. Waverylies go on fancy wood, Gotohs on plain wood. The three sets of Grover 510's for the double neck cost me close to 300 bucks. For most guitars I expect to pay between 60 and a hundred for the tuners

- I have no need for gimmics like variable ratio or locks or something that cuts the string off or anything like that. I can do all that myself.

- I have absolutely no need for a tuner that tunes itself. Fortunately Gibson came to their senses.

- I do buy the correct tools for installing them - drilling jigs if necessary and the correct bushing reamer. It slightly pisses me off that I have to have three different (expensive) reamers for the tuners that I use most often - why can't they standardize on things like that.

- I replace tuners on old guitars and try to maintain the look and feel of the originals. Sometimes that means putting conversion bushing in the guitar, I always keep the old parts so they can go back if they ever want to.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.