Need to Decide Tele or Strat

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by HighlonesomeF5, Oct 26, 2019.

1. leonard d rock

leonard d rock Tele-Afflicted

nashville tele

Straydogger and nojazzhere like this.
  2. kbold

kbold Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

No need to fret. Sounds like you prefer the Strat over the Tele at the moment, so sell the Tele.

Shortly afterwards you will be regretting the sale, and in no time at all will have found a suitable (possibly better) replacement.

Welcome to the club. You'll quickly learn that purchasing is less stressful than selling, and soon have a wonderful collection.

jman72, Jesse414, Dan R and 1 other person like this.
  3. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Meister

As others have said the Tele is unforgiving, you have to wrassle with it. To Tele lovers that's part of the appeal and part of the consequent magic.

I never played a Strat until last year and it blew me away, how sweet and easy it is to play. No harm or shame in starting there if that's what you're feeling. I have both and rotate them in and out. Dang, I love Fender guitars.

T Bone Slort likes this.
  4. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

I owned a very nice American Strat and vintage Mustang, still went back to the tele, but that's just me. I have owned and played many fine guitars but I've found I am a telecaster guy. Everyone plays what suits them best.

5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

And that's precisely why I sanded a forearm bevel in both my Telecasters.....that way they're comfortable sitting OR standing. ;)

Milspec likes this.
  6. Fuggle

Fuggle TDPRI Member

And a Les Paul to complete the holy trinity!

7. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

If you like the Strat stay with it. IMO the Tele is much more "user friendly" than the Strat. Strats are polarizing - people either love'em or hate'em. If you're liking the Strat already, chances are you'll be in the love'em category. It is a very versatile guitar.

8. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

It's all in the picking -- where you pick.

Play the Strat and notice where your picking hand is at. Most likely picking between the middle and neck pickups so you are away from the volume knob.
    Play the Tele and you'll find your hand is near the bridge pickup or maybe even near the saddles -- that's where the Twang! hangs out. Pick up closer to the neck pickup as if you have a phantom middle pickup and you'll sound like a Strat.

I learned more about playing a guitar from a Tele than I did from a Strat. I learned even more from playing an Esquire ;}

GTG_Gopher and gwjensen like this.
  9. Straydogger

Straydogger Tele-Holic

10. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

I don't think a first guitar should have a vibrato tailpiece. For that reason alone I'd choose a Telecaster. After that, the trick is to pick the Telecaster model that suits you.

gwjensen and kbold like this.
  11. Jesse414

Jesse414 TDPRI Member

I have an idea it might help. Its getting close to Halloween so in that spirit..... Pretend Jason or Micheal Myers just broke into your house and you only have time to grab one and still get away......
    :)

12. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

It took me many years with a strat before I could get it on with a tele. Now the tele is by far my choice over the strat. I think everyone is different. I would say you are experiencing something rather normal, but no one here is normal, so you probably fit right in anyway.;)

You might as well have one of each for life anyway, so I say:

13. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Meister

How does a guitar sound melodic?

I have an mim Tele with nocaster pickups, and an American standard Strat with custom shop 69 pups.

The Strat is the better guitar by far. Had the Tele first. The Strat has all but replaced it. That is likely more to do with American vs Mexican, so I would think.

There is, however, a nice Tele sound that is satisfying when I pick it up. It's a fine guitar. Maybe it's just unlucky that I found an incredible Strat.

Sounds like you made your the decision. Always trust your guitar player's intuition!

And... Just keep both ;)

14. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Holic

That's why I have a set of Fender Custom Shop Twisted Tele pickups on my tele. The neck pup is close to a strat, and the bridge is pure tele goodness. :)

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  15. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

Keep what you like more. I started with a strat. If I'd never tried a mustang, I probably woulda quit.

I feel like if it's the sound you aren't feeling, it's in the strings and playing. Bright n thin strings, with a thin pick, picked near the bridge =twang.
    I string the tele with hybrid gage strings, don't use a pick, and typically pick n strum around the pickgaurd area. Try a heavier pick, on the bridge pickup alone, picking "over " the pickgaurd area. Then play with the knobs. I reccomend an amp just starting to breakup for this experiment.
    If it's too twangy still, you tried. Move on.
    Strats, teles, and jazz masters all have the same scale length but DRASTICALLY different sounds. I dont like strats. Doesn't mean nobody does. You may not like teles. Doesn't mean nobody does. Play what feels and sounds best for you.

16. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Tele.

Bye.

17. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

There is some truth to this, but the fact (for me) is that I play better on a tele. Strat pickup selectors are in a bad place for me, and strat vibrato is too wobbly for me. A tele gives me something solid to push against. First electric? Keep both until you decide which way works better, and maybe it will be both then too.

18. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

I would have said Tele all the way until this summer, when I found a "Fat Strat". Now I don't think I could get along without 1 of each. I've been playing for decades, (am I really that old?), and have owned several Strats. (I love the way they hang/play/quack), but have always thought that the bridge pickup sounded too thin, (to me anyway). So I faithfully stuck to the Tele, because to me, it was the true "Fender sound".

The Fat Strat changed all that, I found I could have the chime and quack that I love about the Strat, and a fat bridge tone with the 'bucker in the bridge. Now, after all these years, I'm finally a true Strat lover. But I still love that twangy Tele sound as well, so I guess this rant really serves no useful purpose....sorry!
    Strat-Tele.jpg

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
  19. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

I own 6 Teles & 4 Strats. I probably like the Tele Custom best for my needs, but nothing wrong with a Strat. Whichever guitar compels you to play it more is probably the better guitar for you to purchase.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  20. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Of these two, choose the one you like best, period. Maybe just spend a little time twiddling with your amp settings… what your strat likes is perhaps not good for the tele.

Whatever you choose, avoid getting locked in a “teles are not for me” frame of mind based on such limited experience. Teles differ quite a bit between models, set-ups, the strings you use, the technique you play them with. They can be awesome country, rock and blues machines and at the same time produce the sweetest and juiciest neck pickup sounds. “Too twangy” definitely does not describe them in general.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.