Need to buy a new dehumidifier for the basement

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Oct 5, 2019.

1. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

My dehumidifier in the basement stopped working. It's a stand-alone unit, but I've got it plumbed directly to the sump-pump, so that it can run continuously without having to manually dump the bucket.

So I need to go buy a new dehumidifier, probably today.

If you use a dehumidifier, what are you using? Any recommendations? The room is about 500 square feet. There is a mini-split AC unit in the room, but no return air vent, hence the need for a dehumidifier.

Greggorios likes this.
  2. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

My only suggestion is to buy one bigger than your expected needs. I live in a basement, but haven't had to shop for one in a long time. They're important.

3. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

"For my birthday I got a humidifier and a de-humidifier... I put them in the same room and let them fight it out."
    Steven Wright

Greggorios, puddin and TheGoodTexan like this.
  4. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's

I had a Frigidaire. It started icing up right after the warranty ran out. I now have a Homelabs. It seems fine, but I've only had it about 6 months.

Greggorios likes this.
  5. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

This last one that I've had is an LG, and it's worked beautifully for years now. But I think that I inadvertently burned it up because I set it to "always on" rather than a specific humidity point. I did that a couple of years ago after connecting it to the sump-pump... so that it could just always be working. Yeah... great idea (not). I think that since it never really turned off... I burned it up.

6. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

I have a Frigidaire that's been bullet proof over 10 years. The only minus is you have to reset it if the power goes out.

Greggorios and TheGoodTexan like this.
  7. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

8. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

9. dmvksv

dmvksv TDPRI Member

I bought a Home Labs one off of Amazon a couple years ago and it's worked flawlessly.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  10. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Meister

I have a hisense dehumidifier, I live in upstate New York and it gets humid in the summer months. Without the unit it can get near 80% humidity. It works pretty well and I normally get the humidity around 45-50 percent when it’s running. My basement is unfinished but it works well enough to prevent mold and such. I paid around $300 for it. It’s not a very big tank though so I have to empty it twice a day

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  11. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

We've got a Frigidaire stand alone that's about 10 years old and is a very reliable work horse. When we renovated our basement that's always had high moisture issues we decided to put in a Santa Fe (The Classic) and piped it out to the driveway so there's never a need to empty a reservoire.

The Santa Fe stopped working in August after 6 years, a circuit board went bad. Santa Fe was great about getting us a replacement unit, no complaints. I will say that while the Sante Fe wasn't working I moved the Frigidaire down to the basement and it never skipped a beat. Kept things nice and dry...but had to dump the reservoire manually.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  12. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I have a GE model from ten years ago. You need to do research on which units avoid icing up at colder temperatures. Many of the cheap ones can't work when the basement is below 65degF or they ice up (When the fan burns out they will ice up no matter what). So include icing up in your research.

Also verify energy use. I can tell on my electric bill when it's been running or shut off.

Check leaks around the rim joists of the house as a heavy flow of external (moist) air contributes to a damp basement -- then you are trying to dehumidify the whole neighborhood and no size of machine will do that.

The other option you may want to investigate ... get yourself a bitcoin mining rig! They kick out 80degF+ heat from the pair of twelve inch fans running and the heat will cause your basement walls and floor to warm up and avoid condensing moisture so there is no need for dehumidifying. Instead of paying for electricity to dehumidify, you are paying electricity to mine coins and getting the the rest of the benefits as a byproduct.

TheGoodTexan and Piggy Stu like this.
  13. HighlonesomeF5

HighlonesomeF5 TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Bought a Tosot 70 pint from Amazon few months. Very pleased with it.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  14. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

My mother's little dehumidifier broke last week and I stripped it down to see the grease on the fan axle seemed to have vaporised and coated the motor

Cleaned it off and it worked again.... For a week. I think the bearings are worn, create heat, and vaporise the grease. Gonna reopen it and put some moly grease in this time. I bet a replacement generic motor would only be 10gbp but I have no time before I call over see my mum tmw

My solution was to see who was dumping a low mileage one near me on the internet. A lot of people need one for a bit after a leak or plastering and do not need what they bought 2 weeks before/do not have the room to store

The one I got was 70% below retail but still had all the wrapping on it after a short bit of work, probably drying carpets after a burst pipe

I wish people would drive a car for 2 weeks and sell it for 70% less with 99% of the miles left in it. My kinda deal

Greggorios likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.