Need tele pickup suggestions based on tone from videos

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Fenderbendr, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Fenderbendr

Fenderbendr TDPRI Member

I’m looking to get some new pickups for my RW 50’s Tele that has the stock Tex Mex pickups in it. I’m making some changes to the guitar to make it look more like a vintage Broadcaster/Nocaster, and I want some pickups to match that.

I’m wanting to get a vintage style pickup set with lots of twang, but I’m not sure how they will handle gain and stuff. They need to sound good clean and be able to handle low-medium gain well, but I’m not sure if those vintage style pickups can handle blues and classic rock type gain.

I’m going for the tone from the Teles in these videos here:

I’ve heard good things about Cavalier pickups here, and $120 for a set seems pretty great. I’ve also heard good things about the vintage accurate Klein sets, but I’m not sure if they’re worth the extra $90.

Any help would be great!

2. stefanhotrod

stefanhotrod Tele-Meister

I can highly recommend a set of Barfuss pickups, but I guess that’ll be a bit pricey since they’re made in germany. Anyway the best sounding vintage accurate pickups I‘ve heard so far.

3. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

I would reach out to Rob DiStefano at Cavalier Pickups or Tim at Sunday Handwound.

4. Fenderbendr

Fenderbendr TDPRI Member

I actually just emailed Rob this morning about it. I’ll wait and see what he recommends.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I would also suggest Bootstrap Pickups.....Cavaliers are highly praised here, and Bootstrap is too.
    The determining factor in sound in a video example is the PLAYER! ;)

6. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Meister

Oh man... now you're talking my language ;) Of course, everyone is different in what they think is a great sound etc. so... it's all subjective of course. BUT! I can tell you that in my nocaster build I used Custom Shop Fender 51/52 pure vintage pups and they ROCK in my ears! I have no problems playing my soft blues, hard blues, 50's rock, 60's rock, 70's rock, country pickin'... etc. For me, my CS pups are perfect and I ain't touchin' em ever! Also, I used an original early 50's NOS resistor in the wiring, as well as a pure vintage Fender wax cap.

I also use a Fender Blues Deluxe Amp circa 1998 with NOS 50's tubes in her, as well as a Fender Super Champ XD also with NOS 50's tubes in her as well. The combo between these amps and my nocaster, for me, doesn't get any better. Hope this helps and good luck! Let us know what you end up doing ;)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  7. Fenderbendr

Fenderbendr TDPRI Member

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

I emailed Rob and showed him the two videos and he recommended the 50/51 Lion for the bridge and the Lion King for the neck. It looks like the 50/51 is new for Cavalier as I can’t find much info on it, but the specs look good.

Looking forward to trying them out!

Tommy Biggs likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.