Need suggestions from the fragrance savvy old men

Weazel

Tele-Afflicted
Women don't expect men to smell like a bouquet of spring flowers. Just take a shower and use some underarm deoderant - that's all they want. Men who leave a trail of "scent" behind them are as bad as the ones who have BO.
You seem to know all there is to know about women and their noses :)

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
Disclaimer: don’t do this if you have white hair.
Crush up some fresh rosemary. Mix in some coconut oil. Take a dab and rub your hands together to distribute. Run fingers thru hair/scalp. Done.
You’ll smell like Christmas.

JSMac

Tele-Afflicted
Fragrance free for me.

We have a guy temporarily living with us that uses stinky crap for everything. Laundry, shower, on himself...stinks up the joint.

I talked to him about it and he asked what I like my clothes to smell like. My answer was "cloth".

I drew the line at plug in air fresheners in his space.

Last edited:

tomasz

Tele-Holic
Your skin will react differently than everybody elses, do its good to test out actually. I personally would look for some leather/whiskey/oud combination. That always defines a mature male for me. Or classic cologne ;) not dropping any brands on purpose

Flaneur

Poster Extraordinaire
I have never bought or used fragrances. My cousin is a wealthy Classical musician and always smells ......sophisticated. :D One sniff, when he walks into the house- and you know, you couldn't afford that stuff......

LGOberean

Doctor of Teleocity
Some may differentiate between "cologne" and "aftershave," but I treat them as basically the same. And since I've only shaved once since 1980, I haven't used either in a long time. So my "fragrance" is more associated with what I work with that leaves behind a scent. That being the case, my fragrance is probably eau de Hoppe's No. 9. That, or eau de campfire.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Er...so...then.... well...ahem...

I have been using the 90's classic Sergio Tacchini for the benefit of my surroundings for years now, but I think I need something to spice (heh!) it up a little.

What are some good fragrances for grown men (50+) these days?

Warning: Do not suggest Old Spice, I will hunt you down and do terrible things to your nose if you do.
On a serious "side" note.......Ever wonder why little gray-haired ladies REEK of whatever cologne they wear?
Back in the early seventies, my wife at the time worked in Personnel at Monkey Wards, and their new employee training included a bunch of grooming and hygiene guidelines. (some of which would not be allowed today....it would be judged "intrusive") But they instructed that IF you were going to use a scent, remember exactly how much you applied the FIRST time you ever used it.....and then never apply more than that afterwards. Our noses (or rather sense of smell) become "immune" to a specific odor, and so with perfume, you must always apply a little more each time to smell it as we remember. Little old ladies may have used the same cologne for decades, and have to drench themselves in it just to smell "normal" to themselves. If you're gonna use cologne, I suggest just a tiny dab behind each ear, and maybe on each wrist. Those are "pulse points". After a few uses, you may not be able to smell it, but believe me.....others will. Unless you consider gagging and watering eyes to be valid forms of foreplay......your dates will thank you. ;)

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Perhaps something from the smelly hippie department...

1657116835249.png

dented

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
I have some, one by Tommy Bahama's (no name on bottle) and another one by RL Polo-Earth. Dior Sport Homme and Tom Ford Ombre are good also. I use those Squatch type soaps every day and a litle spritz before I go out. Many times I get a compliment and less is better. Sometimes I put it on my clothes rather than on me. I got a compliment by a manager at Publix the other day and she gave me a ticket for a return visit...know what I mean? wink wink.

kylejf90

Tele-Meister
There are some good youtube channels that will probably be more helpful than this thread...Try "The Gentleman's Gazette" or "Real Men Real Style", they're both pretty informative. It honestly depends on what kind of scent you're after. Not all colognes smell floral. Some have woody scents, some have more floral scents.

Flaneur

Poster Extraordinaire
When one of my buddies stays over, I have to be careful, using the shower, after he's taken his turn. Aerosol Brut: the propellants play havoc with my asthma......

Weazel

Tele-Afflicted
Good grief.

So much for asking a manly question on a manly forum.... :)

I guess I will have to stick to my trusted Sergio Tacchini and pray no one of you come close enough to me to say "Still stuck in the 90's, eh?? Why not use a perfume free deodorant? BO is natural and will attract women. Besides, the scents from 1982 should get you there anyway."

Jeebus.

fretbuzzard

Tele-Meister
If you want something more contemporary but not too “avant-garde” I would recommend trying Terre D’hermes. It’s sort of a 21st century Aqua Di Gio in that it is light and bright - not oppressive or intrusive - if you take the advice above about not bathing in it. Terre D’hermes also has an extensive line of products associated with it - deodorant, body wash, shave products, etc. if you want to smell good but are put off by people who think there is something effete about putting effort into how you smell.

TomBrokaw

Tele-Meister
I like Bleu de Chanel, as does my wife. Been wearing it for 3-4 years now.

That said, if Edwin Jagger made a scent that smells like their shaving soap, I'd probably buy a lifetime supply.

Last edited: