Need some suggestions for a minor banjo job for a guy who is NOT handy.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by RevMike, Mar 12, 2017.

1. RevMike

RevMike Poster Extraordinaire

I was trying to come up with a way to cheaply amplify my banjo for an upcoming project. I took the resonator off to see what's what.

I have this old SD Maverick guitar pickup. Thought perhaps that would work. Tried using the brackets to attach to the truss rod. It stayed on, but the signal was weak.

Tried holding it flush to the head, under the strings from below and it sounded great. But how to mount it?

Thought perhaps some black duct tape but I dunno if that'll hold securely. Thinking maybe screwing some kind of bracket of sorts to the ring to use the clamps on the pickup? Here's some pics. Maybe you folks have suggestions? IMG_2653.JPG IMG_2656.JPG IMG_2654.JPG IMG_2655.JPG

2. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

I played in a band with a guy who had a pickup duct taped to his banjo head. It was ugly and dampened the acoustic sound, but otherwise it worked fine. It was a bright resonator banjo, so the dampening was actually an improvement, he thought.

3. RevMike

RevMike Poster Extraordinaire

I got it figured out and it worked pretty good. I got two small L brackets and two tiny screws and screwed them to the inside of the ring. Then I used the mounting clamps on the pickup to attach it to the L brackets. I wrapped the long wire up and used zip ties to bind up the extra cable and threaded about 8 inches of the cable through the gap between the ring and the resonator. I'll use a little LR Baggs preamp to control the volume and tone. It sounds very natural and I'm pretty pleased.

If it works well in a band situation, I may clip the extra cord and solder a 1/4 inch jack drill it through the resonator.

4. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

You sure you want to make a banjo LOUDER?

Just kidding and what you hooked up looks pretty darned good.

RevMike likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.