1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Need some pricing help (please)

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by sllsll, Mar 1, 2021.

1. sllsll

sllsll TDPRI Member

Hey all,
    I could use some input from you guys. I have been asked to build a few amp conversions in tolex covered head cabinets. I need some opinions from other players about how much these would be worth to players to decide if it's worth doing. How much should I charge for these amps?
    Thanks Guys for any input you can share.

Info on the amps is:

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]

This amp was designed and constructed using the basic foundation of a 1960s (Akai M8) Roberts 770X tube reel to reel tape recorder. The amplifier circuitry has been optimized to specifically serve as a guitar amp rather than as hi-fi equipment. Where practical the original vintage components, including the tubes, have been kept.

There are 2 instruments inputs which share the common volume and tone controls. The 2 inputs however employ separate, and different, input stage tubes and therefore sound very different. The first input uses an EF86 (6267) tube. These tubes were used in 1960s vintage VOX amps, and are still used in some Dr. Z, Matchless, and other boutique amplifiers. The 2nd input uses a 12AX7 (12AD7) tube. 12AX7s are the most common preamp tubes used in guitar amplifiers such as Fender, Mesa Boogie, and Marshall. All of the tubes are the original vintage 1960s tubes. This amp is very quiet (background noise and hum) and breaks up nicely at reasonable volume levels.

The tone circuit uses a modified passive Baxandall/James circuit (Bass and Treble controls) similar to the type of tone stacks used in the original Ampeg, Orange, and some Dr. Z amps. Additionally, a boost switch increases the gain and frequency response of the amp providing additional tonal flexibility.

The output stage is a single-ended class A power amp. This amp uses an EL84 (6BQ5). Single-ended class A amps were used in many lower power 1950s-60s Fender Tweed and Blackface amps and in Vox's AC-4, which also used the EL84 tube. The amp uses a 6X4 tube rectifier. This amp works great for rehearsal, small venue use, and especially studio recording.[/font]

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5mveip4iprwp7ey/PXL_20201201_192712695.jpg?dl=0

Jakedog likes this.
  2. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Pretty neat idea and execution. I can't really speak to how much someone who's looking for something that unique would be willing to pay. One person might be willing to shell out $500, another person maybe $800-1k, I don't know. It's unique and one-off territory, so you're kind of setting your own asking price from the clouds really. I'd be closer to the ~$500 territory personally, but that's just me.

I think your first step is figure out how much you would need to make off each to make it worthwhile to you and then go from there. Figure in the total cost of sustainably sourced parts, total labor in hours to complete one unit, any efficiencies you can gain by making more than one unit at a time, and how much your labor is worth to you. That should give you a pretty good range of what you need to charge vs what you can charge.

Good luck!

Wally, Tim S and sllsll like this.
  3. sllsll

sllsll TDPRI Member

Thanks Chud.

4. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's

Sounds real nice. Only advice I have is - shoot video in landscape not portrait :D

sllsll likes this.
  5. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

@sllsll , How much is an hour of your work worth? Once you have that number and you know how many hours of labor you expend as well as your materials cost, then you have your price.

sllsll likes this.
  6. sllsll

sllsll TDPRI Member

Thanks Tim-S

7. sllsll

sllsll TDPRI Member

Thanks 68Tele

8. TheDavis

TheDavis Tele-Meister

When you do decide how much you want for them let us know. That’s got a really interesting sound to it.

sllsll likes this.
  9. sllsll

sllsll TDPRI Member

Thanks TheDavis.

10. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

I am a real sucker for unique amps and when they sound good...even better.

The problem is that it doesn't do anything that other amps can't do, so the question is "what is uniqueness worth"?

I can only answer that question for myself...what would I pay? I have purchased several "repurposed" amp projects over the years and for me, it was always an impulse buy, so the cost has to be comfortable enough to pull the trigger on the spot. That has been below $500 for me in recent times. Anything over that and I have to think it through. I would think in a bare bones edition, that would probably be my limit...$500. If it was housed in a nice wood cabinet...$650 wouldn't scare me away.

When it comes to building amplifiers, the general rule seems to be that you will never get out of it nearly as much as you should for your time and effort. There are just too many options out there for cheap to compete with these days. Pre-internet days would be different, but we live in the times that we do.

I love the idea personally and would like to see more regarding that amp. It sounded good and certainly unique.

11. sllsll

sllsll TDPRI Member

12. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

They're extremely cool-looking, no doubt. Actual old stuff will always decimate "made to look old" stuff like the Monoprice 5 & 15 watt amps.

And I'd much prefer to own the amp you're making, but I've got projects to finish that I should spend the money on first.

I hope you can get as much as you need to keep making them, if only because more people should use the Baxandall/James tone circuit.

13. sllsll

sllsll TDPRI Member

Thanks W. L. Weller.

14. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

+1 with the thought that one must take the time to assess one’s expense in parts and time. Whether the market will bear the result is unknown.
    I once modified a little Caliphone unit....tube rectifier, 7199 for the preamp and driver, a 6BQ5, and a Bacandall tone section. It was still in its industrial record player housing. I had great interest in it IF it were to be placed into a more ‘normal’ guitar amplifier cab because it was and still is one of the best sounding guitar amps I a have played through. It sold as it was to a studio owner for $250. That was a bargain for the sound it produced. I kept a copy of the schematic because the circuit is worthy of being built into a more marketable guitar amp cab of some sort.
    sllsll, I will commend the demo....that is one of the best demonstration of an amp I have heard. The wide variety of styles and the proficiency of the playing let one know that anything can be done with that little amp. Kudos.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    sllsll likes this.
  15. sllsll

sllsll TDPRI Member

Thanks Wally.

16. sllsll

sllsll TDPRI Member

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I really appreciate it. I've decided that I can price them at $600 with the tolex head cabinet.
    Again, thanks,
    S

Wally likes this.
  17. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

For the sound, I have seen much less amp for for more bucks...imho.

sllsll and W.L.Weller like this.
  18. sllsll

sllsll TDPRI Member

Thanks Wally, I appreciate that.

Wally likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.