Need some overdrive pedal suggestions for Vox Ac10c1

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by virge0110, Nov 1, 2016.

1. schotter611

schotter611 Tele-Holic

This is wise! Get another one and crank that Master, it's what this amp does best. It sounds as good as my favourite pedal into a more pedal-friendly amp.

Lostinsound likes this.
  2. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I've only tried the AC10 with an 808 style pedal, and it sounded fantastic with a Strat. The classic tube screamer blues tone. The ERD and Sparkle drive are both good 808 style pedals, as is the Behringer TO800 and the Nux Drive Core (also known as the Donner Hexadrive). The BB preamp and Caline Orange Burst (a BB clone) are also very cool. Since Vox amps are already pretty midrangey, I'd also suggest trying a Timmy type, or other "transparent" style overdrive. I have the Caline Timmy clone, the Pure Sky, and although I haven't tried it with an AC10, it sounds great with the Vox model on my Mustang GT40. I would also suggest trying another Klon clone besides the Soul Food. I've tried several, and the SF was my least favorite of all of them. My favorite right now is the Tone City Bad Horse. It's only $49.99 at Riff City. The Chinese one with the Centaur graphic on it (the one Shane at In the Blues reviewed) is good, too, as is the Tone Bakery Cream Brulee. For more expensive Klon types, the Archer, Tumnus, and Bondi Sick As are the best sounding ones IMO.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  3. j5jarod777

j5jarod777 Tele-Meister

Get a Boss BD-2 and push that with a Soul Food. All the dirt you'll ever need.

4. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Tele-Holic

That Pedal Show did an overdrive shootout on an AC15 (I think) a while ago that covers a lot of the suggestions being tossed out here, as well as some others. That might be worth a watch on YouTube.

5. Lostinsound

Lostinsound TDPRI Member

Yes, the tone of the Vox AC10 with the volume and gain dimed is heavenly! I did stick a greenback in for my taste. Guess you could just roll your volume down when wanting to clean up. I do like the idea of a second amp though! Good luck man.

6. JBFatFingers

JBFatFingers Tele-Meister

Thought it was worth resurrecting this thread to see what you guys are currently running into your AC10. I’m exploring some new distortion options and would love to get some ideas from the group...

7. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

I use a regular old Boss SD-1 into my AC15C1. I think I'm just easy to please.

8. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I have that amp and am using a TC Electronics Dark Matter, a Joyo Ultimate Drive, and a modded Boss DS-1. All sound great through the AC10C1.

9. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

I don't use a pedal, I just yell for my daughter to crank up the gain for solos

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.