1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Need some help with pickup choice!

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Bush Wiebe, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Bush Wiebe

Bush Wiebe Tele-Meister

I am getting the pickups in my custom tele rewound (I have just never been quite happy with the sound) but I don't know what to ask for. The pickups are made of bubinga so that's why I want them rewound and not just put in new ones.

The only way I know how to describe what I'm after is I want Roy Buchanan in the bridge and Ed Bickert in the neck. Aside from the impossibility of what I've just described, can anyone help me out as to what I should technical info I should tell my luthier? What do I say when he asks me what I want in a pickup?

Attached Files:

2. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Judging by the looks of your pretty amazing looking guitar, I'd guess that your not necessarily looking for a cheap option.
    I suggest you contact Don Mare. Many think he is the best tele pickup winder around, and he has the best Roy Buchanan type pickups available. He has even designed a pickup where you're can't get any reading, just like on Roy's Nancy.

Otherwise, describe what you have now and what you don't like.

3. mrkenny

mrkenny Former Member

I think Don would be a good choice too.

4. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Don Mare is the go-to man for Roy Buchanan.

5. Bush Wiebe

Bush Wiebe Tele-Meister

Thanks for putting me on the right track guys. I'll be looking into it. And thank you for the nice comments on my guitar. I really love that thing:D!

6. JKjr

JKjr Tele-Holic

Calling Mr Mare is great advice. While I'm not a winder, I've been a master auto tech for decades, and the same rules apply. Tell me where you are and where you want to go, I'll handle the technical part. All you need to know is WHO; let them worry about the what part. FWIW, Don knows what. Good luck, great looking axe!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.