Need Some Hard Info On Super Reverbs

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Strat God, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Strat God

Strat God Tele-Meister

I'm a staunch Marshall guy -have been for ever, but yesterday I was in my friend's shop and there is a re-issue Super Reverb blackface (65?) so I tried it out.
    Wow. Waht a fat, warm sound outta those 4-10's. Tube rectifier too. So without a master volume how would I get a higher-gain sound? Throw my TS-808 in front? Add a master vol circuit?
    I really want to hear from the Fender amp pros here- I'm thinking if I can retain that fat, warm tone -but get it to produce a 'Marshally" gain like Derek Trucks gets it would be a perfect amp for me. Any thoughts?

2. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

Ya just set it so it plays clean and when you want grind stomp on a pedal.

You can get a pedal like box of rock that sounds pretty close to a cranked Marshall.

3. Caffeine Patrol

Caffeine Patrol Tele-Afflicted

I've owned 3; a '72, a '65 reissue, and an original '65. The reissue sounded great with a Strat, interesting with a Tele, and not so hot with my Les Paul Standard. The original '65 sounded good with Teles and my 335, but not so hot with my Les Paul. The '72 was just kind of a dog and didn't sound too good with any guitar I tried with it. For now, I've given up on Supers and stick to Deluxes and Twin Reverbs. I was hot for Supers mostly because of Clarence White and Derek Trucks, but I just can't get the tone out of them I want. It might be a 10" speaker problem with me, as I finally admitted my '74 Vibrolux didn't sound as good to my ears as a Deluxe (the Vibrolux was also a Clarence White attempt; I'm pretty fond of Elvin Bishop's playing, too).

4. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

If you want Trucks Tone out of a Super...you don't need a pedal at all at Stage Volumes....Home or small club use...that's a different story. They are Loud Amps, and can move a lot of Air.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  5. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

I've recently switched from a '64 SR to a Marshall G100, primarily because I can get the crunchy tones I like at lower volumes with the Marshall than with the SR. But, just stick a Tube Screamer in front of the Fender and you'll get the distortion you want. They really are great amps.

6. rolijen

rolijen Tele-Meister

I have a '66 Super Reverb that I've held onto for many years. It is one loud amp. 40 watts of the glassy-est Fendery-est tone this side of heaven. It really growl when you crank it past 4 or 5. For smaller gigs it's way too much amp. With a great set of tubes, and good speakers, these amps can do it all. Plugged straight in OR through a tube screamer and you'll be in business.

7. Strat God

Strat God Tele-Meister

Thanks guys. I'm going back to try her with my TS-808 and see what happens. I must say -it's got an excellent overall tone. I'm hoping a screamer in front will raunch it out enough while keeping that Fendery warmth.

8. imsilly

imsilly Friend of Leo's

I think the classic way to add gain to a Super Reverb is with a Tube Screamer type overdrive pedal.

I have tried that with mine, good tone, but somewhat over used. It's too generic blues/rock sounding for me. So I have tried some germanium fuzz and treble booster pedals. With those things it takes ages to dial in the correct tone, too much boost or fuzz and it doesn't sound like an overdrive, but when you do the thing screams. Imagine a Tweed Bassman/JTM45 style breakup, but with reverb, tremolo, extra compression and sustain, absolutely badass.

One of the pedals I used was a Zvex Fuzzfactory, so I'm guessing that the Zvex Box of Rock would get even closer to a Marshally tone. I think distortion pedals are a very subjective thing. I prefer the natural overdrive of the Super Reverb best, but then you have masses of volume, but a pedal will never give you that cool sound of speakers on the verge of falling apart.

9. Mik

Mik Tele-Afflicted

A Strat God would Know All about the BF Super Reverb.

:p

Mik

10. Strat God

Strat God Tele-Meister

Nope! But I know how to get tones from Marshall stacks!!! :lol: Just looking for a different sound with the Fender.

11. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

For a non invasive mod, replace a pair of those speakers with Emi Ramrods or Celestion G10M's. But it's still going to be LOUD.

If it's the RI (and you get one used or don't mind killing the warranty), you could have the tone stack altered slightly, and also slim down a couple of cathode bypass capacitors. I'm talking about a handful of parts. Basically cut the slope resistor from 100K to 56K. Knock the bass and mid caps down to .022uF. And cut the cathode bypass caps down to 1uF.

You could also decrease the neg feedback, which is much lower in Marshalls, even the JTM.

IDK if the RI can handle EL34's, but the oldies can. It requires simple rewiring of the power tube sockets (an extra pin needs to be grounded), but once it's done either 6L6's or EL34's can be used with a rebias.

Since all of the above can be reversed, it's not sacrilege IMO to do it. And if you do, that TS probably won't be necessary.

12. Flewis

Flewis Tele-Holic

I use my 1973 super reverb with a diamond drive pedal and it can get real sweet overdrive, or good crunch, its an around great amp

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.