Need some guidance on a tube amp...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by mom_said_im_cool, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Mountain Jammer

Mountain Jammer TDPRI Member

To answer your original question, the Princeton takes pedals very well. I have a Soul Food in front of mine right now, and it's magnificent.

I would try to play a 65 PRRI if you can. The tone is addictive, and the slightly smaller package is something you may come to appreciate, given your intended usage.

2. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's

I dropped an Eminence Maverick in my DRRI. It has a dial on the back of the speaker that allows me to adjust the efficiency of the speaker. At full on, it sounds better IMO than the stock Jensen, which to me sounded spikey. Dialed all the way back, it drops the efficiency up to 8.5 decibels. The only side effect being that it darkens the tone slightly. 8.5 decibels doesn't sound like much, but I can play the amp at 6 (Which gives me a sweet break up) at the same approximate loudness as when it's at 3. $75-$100 done.

markod likes this.
  3. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Not trying to start a fight here. Sure goes to show YMMV.

Of all the Fender BF / SF amps, I think the PR is the worst with pedals. Very difficult to get a variety of them to sound good. Compared to its brethren, it's got a mid hump, and just generally a tone that is more flavored, not the clean canvas of the others. IMO

4. Big_Ger

Big_Ger TDPRI Member

Hi, I've never played through a DRRI or PRRI but I do have a 20 watt Super-Sonic which is based on the DR and has a clean and drive channel, no vibrato though. I only play at home and both channels sound fine at low volumes although they would obviously sound better louder. It has an effects loop too. If you put a volume pedal or a boost pedal in the loop you can use it as a master volume and get some drive from the pre-amp on the clean channel. You could just use the drive channel but it sounds different. I was looking at the DRRIs for the that sound but decided I'd rather have a drive channel than vibrato. Might be worth looking at...
    Good luck!

5. mom_said_im_cool

mom_said_im_cool TDPRI Member

So I went in and tried a 68 Deluxe as well as a 65 Princeton, both reissues. This time I tried them in a smaller demo room that's closer to the size of the room I'd be playing in and unfortunately, the Deluxe was WAY too loud. I guess playing in a giant open room, like Sam Ash with all the background noise brought the effect of the amp down a bit. I spent about two hours playing them and I don't think the DRRI is going to be an option, the way I play it's "shouts" too much unless I have it down on two.

Really loved the PRRI though, the clean tone and cranked tones were great to my ear. The 68 was better with pedals, but not enough to sell me on it. I tried the Russian Pickle on the '65 and it had this cool throaty, raw sort of vibe. Tried it with my OCD as well and it sounded really phenomenal to me. For whatever reason, the PRRI always just sounds happier at the settings I play. My only complaint was when I turned it all the way up to 9 it had speaker distortion, but that's not a deal breaker for me.

6. moosie

Princetons are known to be a bit farty. Many people shoehorn a 12" speaker, but that might bump the loudness, too.

7. Route67

Route67 Tele-Meister

If I ever buy another tube amp, it will be the '65 Princeton Reissue, PCB and all. My local retailer lists the '68 Custom for slightly less however; I wonder if it has any bugs to make it about $150 price difference here in Canada. There was also a limited run tweed version with 12" Cannabis Rex available. All nice amps.

8. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

I'm only adding this because of your comment about the room and loudness. I have a Greis 5 Champ clone. For under $900 I got a fully handwired blackface champ with a TMB tone stack, a gain knob which dials out the tone stack to turn it into a tweed Champ, and a master volume. Given the volumes I play, it sounds (to my ear) like a BF Princeton or DR. If I could routinely air it out, I'd have gone with one of the others, but I really don't. If I ever get the chance to do so, I'll take that opportunity to get one of the bigger amps!!!

http://www.griesamps.com/

9. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Some great advice here. I'm really tracking with moosie and RubyRae. I, too, don't think that the difference in sound between a DRRI with good vintage tubes and a good speaker is all that great from an original BF or SF Deluxe Reverb in good operating condition. I'm not saying they're identical, but they're not necessarily very far apart in terms of sound. But yes, in terms of durability--that's a different story. I, however, would urge anyone not to pay full sticker price for any of the 65 reissues or the 68 customs. You can get them for much better prices used.

It sounds, however, like you're off of the DRRI idea now after your last trip to the music store. Maybe you'll go with the PRRI or the CPR. If you're really worried about volume, do what (I think) moosie said and get a Vibro Champ. I recently bought a Champ just because my family found it insufferable for me to play my DRRI all the time with them around. So now when the kids or asleep or whatever I can take my Champ downstairs and play without moving as much air.

But... if you're willing to spend the kind of money a new DRRI or PRRI or whatever would cost, I would urge you to get a custom-built amp. etype mentioned a Gries 5, which looks like a great option. You could also get something from Lil' Dawg amps or elsewhere. There are all kinds of options. If I were going to spend around $1,000-1,300 USD, I would absolutely be looking around for custom amps in my price range. Specifically, I would buy this: http://www.littledawgamps.com/the-wonderdawg/

However... that takes me back full circle. For $1,400 and some patience you could get a great vintage Fender of some sort, if you could just figure out which one!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    moosie likes this.
  10. moosie

If we're talking hand wired near-clones of Champs, etc, don't overlook David Allen. He's a class act, and he's got a good range of Fender style amps, blending the best of blackface, brown, and tweed. I have one of his Encores (Vibrolux inspired).

11. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

I read that Hendrix's grab and go hotel room / apt practice amp was a Princeton Reverb..according to a couple book and Eddie Kramer article from years ago. Does it matter? Maybe if you're a Hendrix fan. Kramer talked about Jimi recording in his rooms and plugging into a TEAC 3340 reel to reel. I haven't heard of these recordings being made public, but I'd love to hear them....Jimi playing through a Princeton Reverb while killing time on the road. If Hendrix did get tossed from a room or two, it was probably for other reasons besides playing too loud. :eek:

I'm getting the subtle impression that it clicked better for you with the Princeton, both with and without one or two of your favorite pedals.....that's a good sign. :) Sounds like this is going to work out.

Side note.....just giving my subjective / personal opinion on what I'd do in a similar situation while not caring whether or not my amp had tubes:
    If I was in an apartment and was stuck between a Fender Deluxe tone and Princeton Reverb, like the way the DR sounds cranked up but cannot get that tone because of the limits of having other people living on the other sides of the walls / floor / ceiling.... I'd stick with my Mustang III and go back and forth between the DR and PR models, set up a couple presets to get whatever volume ranged tone I'm wanting....either clean, saturated cranked hot tube tone ..or anything in the middle, keep the volume low and enjoy the peace of mind that nobody is going to be banging on the walls yelling at me to turn down.

Anyway...get the amp you want and I'm sure the Princeton Reverb will be great. Good enough for Hendix's practicing needs....:)

Route67 likes this.
  12. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

Get the Princeton, and replace the 25-watt C10R with a 35-watt C10Q. Makes a difference if you like to crank it. But you still need to turn the Bass down when cranking baby Fenders to avoid farting out. Some of it's the under-powered speaker, but some of it's is too much bottom end getting distorted, which will still be farty with a 200-watt speaker.

Route67 likes this.
  13. strat1

strat1 TDPRI Member

For your small room use the Princeton Reissue would be fine. If you up the volume past 4 or so it starts to get a bit loud, but in my living room I rarely turn mine up past 4 & I play with the volume knobs on whatever guitar I am playing as 1300 mentions.

IMO, there is no need to mod anything on the PRRI. The stock speaker give the amp its character, but like all Fender amps you need to turn the bass as you increase the volume. My typical settings are V-4, T-6, B-4.5 & R-2.

I've owned mine for 8 years or so, & it is a super sweet amp. BTW, it takes pedals just fine.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.