1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Need some Gbase advice

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Musekatcher, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

OK, I've bought and sold plenty over the decades. I found an instrument at a store that's been around longer than Ebay, item is listed on Gbase...that doesn't take Paypal or a credit card. How do I conduct this transaction with some sort of protection, with a check-only business? If Gbase doesn't offer some sort of proxy, what's the point of Gbase? I really want this instrument, but don't wanna move fwd without some recourse.

2. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

Umm... No credit card or paypal?
    These days it hardly seems possible to
    do business on the 'net on a cash/check basis.
    I would be very skeptical about buying from this
    seller.
    Why doesn't the seller take cc/pp???

Mark

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  3. Musekatcher

I could guess. He's well known for decades thru out the industry, I wouldn't be worried about integrity. But, I might be worried about fire, insurance, sickness, etc, and its too much money to risk without some kind of protection for those things, out of his control. I'm going to talk to a local store, and see what they recommend, and possibly act as an intercessor.

kingofdogs1950 likes this.
  4. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

I’d pass. Too many things can go wrong.

Deeve likes this.
  5. Musekatcher

Yea, I'll have to pass. Strange to me, that something I've perused for decades, Gbase, doesn't handle the transaction? How do they make any money, if some deals are direct like this? Something just seems wrong? Gbase has been around a long time. You mean, its always been like this?

6. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I don't take credit cards @ my job either, and accept that this turns some potential business away. The seller may feel the same.
    That said, I too, would pass on an opportunity to buy a guitar at distance w/o CC or PP recourse if things didn't go as described/expected.
    Is a day's drive out of the question?
    Peace - Deeve

Milspec likes this.
  7. Musekatcher

Heh, its across the country, 3 days drive. FWIW, I'm driving 8 hours tomorrow to pickup a great little amp. I respect the guy that he can only deal with cash, less headache for him. There's merit in that. I might call Carter's tomorrow and talk to a buddy, see what she says for a proctored deal.

Deeve likes this.
  8. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

Across country and doesn't take any form of payment service....certainly risky.

That being said, when you approach a deal like this you have remember that you are really buying the seller more than the item. Just like you would check out an istrument in person for issues, you must do the same for the seller. If you feel the seller is solid, then you are stuck being the person to take on the risk and send payment.

About 5 years ago, I negotiated a deal for a brand new Fralin VVT combo amp located in Texas. The seller wanted nothing to do with electronic payments and really just wanted to sell it local. I spoke with him twice for about 15 minutes each time until we were both comfortable believing that both parties were honest people. I agreed to send him the check and asked him to send the amp once it cleared. As a man of my word, I mailed the check and notified him of the tracking information. He was shocked that I would send a check for so much money without any protection, but I figured the only way the deal would happen is if one of us took the leap of faith. The seller didn't wait for the check to clear, he shipped the amp the next day trusting me.

I actually received the amp a day before the check cleared. We both could have been burned, but we were both honest people so we trusted our guts and made the deal. Turned out to be one of the best purchases that I have every made, the amp is fantastic and the seller threw in a lot of extras to include a custom padded cover, extra tubes, and an anvil case.

So, if you are willing to buy the seller and trust him to hold up his end of the deal, I say send the check. If you have any doubts to his character...forget about it and shop elsewhere.

9. Musekatcher

Yea, I'm good with all of that. My concern, is if he gets sick, hit by a truck, or other disruption, and I've got no way to reconstruct the deal, outside an email agreement? I'm not unfamiliar with these kinds of cash only folks, just never seen this on something like Gbase. Man, I really wan't this thing, not many of them available, but I just can't do it without some kind of recourse if something outside his control happens. I'm just going to have to keep shopping.

10. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

Perfectly understandable decision...have to follow your instincts.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.