1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Need Some Clear Advice On Spraying Clear

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by RifleSlinger, Oct 14, 2016.

1. RifleSlinger

RifleSlinger Tele-Meister

I have Googled this up and down, end of the internet, watched endless repeated videos of Colt W. Knight spraying tele bodies, yada, yada, yada. Lots of info on how many coats are needed, but I have trouble finding the distinction about whether people are talking about color and clear (total coats), or just clear.

Here is the bottom line question: How many coats of clear to I need to spray?

Contextual information:

Me: Beginner at finishing. This is my fourth go round at finishing this body, and things are finally clicking. I'm learning from my mistakes and let's say I have learned a lot. I have gone through nearly an entire gallon of LOVOC nitro in this learning process, and the passes are finally going on just right. Left to my own devices, my odds of sanding through are probably higher than the average beginner.

Materials: 2 piece Rutters swamp ash body, Sherwin Williams LOVOC, borrowed HVLP gun and compressor.

Goal: A white blonde finish. I mixed my own color with the LOVOC and Mixol. It looks nice. Took about three coats of color to get the right level of translucency.

Status: Sanded, sealed with fresh mixed shellac, repeated as needed, grain filled, sanded, sealed, sanded, then color. My surface prep got better on each try, and I think it was pretty darn good to go. I have three coats of clear on so far. My first coat of clear was on the shy side. By my 3rd coat I got it to flow nicely without running. I still see some orange peel from the previous coats, but it's starting to look pretty nice.

How many more would y'all recommend? If I screw it up this time I'm probably going to use the paint stick to cut my own head off.

Thank you for all your help, in getting this far and hopefully accomplishing my goal on this go 'round.

--Todd

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  2. Outcaster

Outcaster Tele-Holic

3 propper/full coats (3 passes each the way Colt describes) should be sufficient to wet sand assuming the coats are laying down flat and your prep work was good, particularly the grain filling. That said, if you're worried about it shoot one or two more. There really isnt a "right" number of coats as long as you've got enough to get a flat finish.
    You can also shoot more if need be.
    When you wet sand, start on the back of the guitar, use mineral spirits, do not press the block into the finish, let the paper and the weight of the block do the work. Work a small area, about 20% of the total area at a time and stop frequently to check your progress until you get a feel for how much material you're removing.
    Also, dont expect that you'll be able to get it completely flat with three ot 4 clear coats. If your prep work, grain filling in particular, was good you may get it nice and flat. You may however find that as you look at the surface at an angle most of it is dulled evenly from the sanding but a few pits or grain "lines" are not. If you see that don't try to keep sanding until you get those low spots out as they may be deeper than the clear is thick. This is where you see how good your grain filling really was. If you have those deeper pits and/or lines (like sunken grain) spray 2 or 3 more coats and repeat the wet sanding until you have an acceptable level of flatness.
    Better prep means a finish can be thinner. Thicker is not necessarily bad so dont lose sleep over it

3. RifleSlinger

RifleSlinger Tele-Meister

Outcaster,

Thank you for the info. That is reassuring, as it is what I had in my head from the beginning for some reason. The more I dug to try to find it the more confusing it got.

I'll find out in a month or so how I did.

Thanks again for the help.

--Todd

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.