1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Need some bridge pickup guidance...

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by stratoblaster, Feb 20, 2015.

1. stratoblaster

stratoblaster Tele-Meister

I have a 1997 Ver 2 Tele plus. Bridge pickup is a Duncan 5-2, the middle and neck are still Lace golds. I love the way this guitar plays and I like the tones I get. But they aren't the tones I want. I found the best thing I ever did to my Strat Plus was swap the Laces with some CS 69's. I want to do something similar here, mainly in the bridge (even though the Lace is already gone)...

The tone I want from the bridge is nice bright, sparkly, TWANG. I'm not too interested in boutique stuff. Too many choices make my head spin. I'm mainly interested in offerings from Fender, SD, and Dimarzio. To keep it simple, I believe there is a pickup or 3 from these guys that will get me where I want to be.

Give me some suggestions here...

2. Moot

Moot TDPRI Member

The SD Jerry Donahue is an amazing bridge pickup. I tried to replace mine with a Lollar Vintage T, but it didn't work in that guitar and the SD went right back in.

I've heard lots of great things about Fender's Original Vintage pickups, too.

3. stratoblaster

The OV has been on my list because my friends 52 reissue was the guitar that convinced me I need something different. I was also considering the 62 reissue, because I heard it was even twangier. And, I was considering the Dimarzio Twang King.

Fender has so many vintage voiced pickups between the old AV, the new PV, and their CS offerings, it's confusing...

4. The vandal

The vandal Tele-Meister

+1 on the Jerry Donahue. I love mine! I don't have a guitar for it right now but I can't part with it so it sits in the parts box until the next project. That pickup really can do it all.

5. xhqm4457

xhqm4457 TDPRI Member

Dimarzio Twang Kings are supposed to be incredible. I have the neck pickup, and it really is fantastic. They get a lot of love here in the forum.

Also - Fender Nocasters get a lot of love here also.

6. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

You can't go wrong with the SD Jerry d. It's brilliant

7. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Within those three lines you list any of those already listed here are good choices. From there it's a matter of personal tastes. While not included on your list of winders I'd also suggest Bill Lawrence's Keystones for their incredible transparency and clarity.

8. Thick Pick

Thick Pick TDPRI Member

If you want bright and sparkly go with the Fender 62 Reissue bridge pickup. Those have all that in spades. Several good choices mentioned and lots more out there.

9. birv2

birv2 Tele-Afflicted

Another vote for the Fender OV. They really nailed that old school twang on this one. And it's affordable.

10. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

What's wrong with the Duncan 5-2 that it's not bright sparkly and twangy? It should basically give you what you want. How much have you played with pickup heights?

11. stratoblaster

I actually really like it. I'm not sold on getting out of it forever either. My friend has a 52 AVRI that sounds really good. I don't feel like I am getting the same sound out of mine. I want more spank, slap, twang... I'm not sure how to describe it? I definitely don't hate the 5-2. It may be a grass is greener scenario too.

Yeah, I should play with the height. Whats a good starting point for a twang bridge pickup height, low or high?

12. Thick Pick

Thick Pick TDPRI Member

Also your setup can make a big difference. Low action with 9's. Also steel saddles or at least go with an aluminum e/a if you have three barrel saddles. Sometimes it's a mixture of things to get you there and nit just one thing. Also the higher the pickup is adjusted the brighter it is. Try raising the treble side a little.

13. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

The fender 62 custom bridge p/u is a great twanger and cheap. You can find em on ebay for $40 shipped. Have one in a 60's classic and i love it. Lots of people praise the fender nocaster bridge which i also have, that one in a 50's classic. From your description I'd recommend the 62, but the nocatser is great too. It's middier and less twangy tho. Not in a huge way, but it is. I love both of them. I would stay away from the twang king bridge, as it get's mixed reviews and i tried one and found it mediocre. But the TK neck model on the other hand is IMO so good it's the only neck p/u i ever use in teles !

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.