Need some amp recommendations

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by Chickin-Pickin, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Chickin-Pickin

Chickin-Pickin Tele-Meister

I'm thinking about getting a new amp. I've been using a Vox AC15 for about 6-7 years and I love the Vox chimey sound. But I'm thinking I want a newer amp.
    I need it to be around 15 watts, Tube (Obviously).
    We play everything from Hillsong to Citizens to Lincoln. I like the idea of the Night Train 15 G2 head with a cab, but I'd love to hear what else may be out there that I haven't thought of.

2. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

How about a Peavey ValveKing Series II? I've been interested in that series lately. If your set on a head and cab thing, then maybe the VK Micro-head, though personally I'd go for the combo version (VK Combo 20w). Either way, 20 watts, 2 EL84s and 3 12AX7s, with a whole bunch of nice features on both the front and rear panels.

http://peavey.com/products/valveking/

3. LGOberean

Upon reflection, my ValveKing II, VK 20w recommendation has the same tube compliment as the AC15, IIRC. You used the term "newer" and not "different," so maybe the VK 20w will work for you.

In the VK II series there is also a 50 watt combo version that uses two 6L6GCs, so that might give you different tonal characteristics, but then the wattage output is significantly higher. Then again, the rear panel of the VK 50 also has the power switch that takes it from 50 watts down to 12 or even down to 2, so that could work as well. Not bad for $600.

4. Chickin-Pickin

I'll have to look at the Peavy's sometime. my local GC doesn't seem to have any right now.
    I'm almost afraid to change, I've played the Vox so long that I don't know anything else. I would like to be able to switch between a clean and dirty channel, but even now, my clean isn't that clean.

My only problem is if GC doesn't have it, I can't try it out before buying. There aren't any local guitar shops or at least any that stay in business for long around here.

5. LGOberean

Well, if you can't try 'em out in person, hopefully the YT vids will be helpful. Of course, it's not the same as being in the same room with them and hearing/feeling their responsiveness to what you're playing.

I guess I'm spoiled in that regard. Here in Corpus Christi, there's a mom and pop (or actually, father, son & grandson) store that's been here for forever, and they're an authorized Peavey dealer. Well, actually, so is my local GC, I think, but this other shop (Clawson's Music) has been here, like I said, for forever.

Also, I too am a fan of Vox. I once did some recording using an AC15. For my own home playing and small venue gigs, I prefer my Pathfinder 15Rs.

6. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

With the Vox and the Peavey, your are working with the EL 84 / 12AX7 configurations. Same with the Fender Blues Jr., which is something I'm familiar with and like.

If you want to take another approach, try a Fender Super Champ - they make both a combo and a 15W head. It's based on a 6V6 / 12 AX7, so slightly different world. I don't have one, but my bandmate does and he likes it and gigs with it regularly. I'm not fond of the presets, but on the other hand, depending on your set list, it does provide a variety of distinctly different sounds, so plug straight in, no pedalboard.

7. pete-strych

pete-strych Tele-Holic

What's your budget? Combo or Head?

8. Chickin-Pickin

I want to stay around $600-700. I don't really have a preference on combo or head and cab.

9. pete-strych

pete-strych Tele-Holic

That's a realistic budget...cool. I say, break away from the pack & try something different. Traynor, Blackstar, & Laney have some pretty fine Amos in that price range.
    Traynor YCV40WR Custom Valve 40WR Combo -
    40w all tube – 12” Celestion Vintage 30 speaker – channel switching, Wine Red leatherette, oatmeal grill, dual footswitch, or the 20w version with a Celestion greenback
    Blackstar HT Club 40 (or 20). These amps rock & are cool!!
    Laney VC30 have several speaker options.
    Thats my 2cents for Tube Bliss NAD outside the box!

10. HotRodJohnny

HotRodJohnny TDPRI Member

I have a Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18 and I love it. Very lightweight and can push the volume when you need it to. Very versatile little amp. No reverb though...

11. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

So if you are looking at 15 watts and love the AC15....why change? If you want different, I would look at something Fender, Marshall, Mesa, etc.

12. Chickin-Pickin

I've been focusing on trying to find my sound, I've just had a custom guitar built, I've made changes to my fx. This is the last part of the equation and I want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

13. Chickin-Pickin

I've been doing some online research today. I like the idea of the range of tones the peavey valve king can do (at least in the demos).
    I've checked locally and it looks like GC may have one, so might go try it out this weekend.

14. LGOberean

Cool, C-P! :cool: Which VK II series amp does your GC have? Micro-head? 20w combo? 50w combo? 100w head?

Personally, I like what I've heard from both the 20w (EL84s) and the 50w (6L6s). Both are well within your budget. I'm tempted by the 50w combo, because I'd like to have a 6L6 amp, and the power switch can drop it down to bedroom levels.

15. Chickin-Pickin

They have the 50w according to the website. I've never had an amp with an fx loop either so there are some pros to looking at it.

16. Chickin-Pickin

Just got finished playing the 50w combo. The lead channel sounded great. The clean was pretty good too. I played it at all the different levels. I liked the variety of sounds I could get and that's before I hooked my board up.
    Looks like a contender.

17. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Meister

If you want something different, I've seen used Orange Tiny Terror 15W combos on GC quite frequently for $500-$700.

18. myluckytele

myluckytele TDPRI Member

Vox TB18C1

Yesterday I picked up a floor model Tony Bruno designed Vox TB18C1 at Sam Ash here in SoCal. It was marked down to $379.00 from around $649.00, I think. (I ended up getting it with a trade in and Father's Day coupon for $227.72) It is an 18 watt single channel 12AX7/6V6 powered amp, digital reverb with a mid-boost and dark switch, effects loop and speaker out on the (closed) back. I have been wanting a 6V6 amp and wanting particularly a '65 Princeton re-issue, but a combination of the $1000 price tag and a two year old son aka "The Destroyer" did not make this sensible or practical. So far I am thrilled with this amp and consider it a steal even if it was still $649.00. "American tone with a British flavour" to paraphrase one reviewer. Plenty of volume and clean headroom with nice breakup at different master volume/volume settings, with mid-boost and dark switches offering more useful tone variations. The digital reverb is, well, digital reverb, if you know what I mean. Not terrible by any means...but just...digital. Nice review of this amp on youtube by Just Nick. I think this amp is worth you checking out, especially if you can find it for that closeout price. Hope this helped.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
  19. bikeracr

bikeracr Tele-Meister

A few other options include Peavey Classic 30 (love that amp), Fender Blues Junior, Fender Pro Junior. The Orange Tiny Terror is good if you want a more raw garage band type sound. Or if you want something with a completely different flavor, you should be able to find a used 5E3 in your budget. Although a 5E3 is a single channel, you have a lot of options if you use your volume knob to control the amount of natural OD.

20. ODGreen27

ODGreen27 TDPRI Member

+1 on the 5E3 recommendation. If you like the simplicity of the AC15 than i think you will really enjoy the 5E3. I run mine cranked up and just use the guitar volume to control the gain, but these amps also take pedals great when set clean/just breaking up!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.