1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Need Some Amp Feedback

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by EllenGtrGrl, Apr 7, 2021.

1. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Congrats on the Aviator, I hope it serves you well. I loved the weight and size, eventually, I found something I liked better.

Dr Improbable likes this.
  2. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

If you only need it for 6 or 7 years spend your 800$ on a TM....READ the post below yours about longevity.... My Origin 20 is killer.

3. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Ah, the sound of a cranked BF Fender fed by a Les Paul. It sounds just like Kim Simmonds, one of my absolute favorite players.

4. EllenGtrGrl

EllenGtrGrl Tele-Holic

No, I didn't mean the tubes being mounted directly on the board, I meant the tube sockets being mounted directly on the board. Normally it wouldn't be a problem with a glass epoxy mil-spec PCB, or industrial spec PCB (both of which are physically pretty sturdy), but the consumer grade PCBs most amps use, don't handle the heat from tubes even in sockets mounted on the boards, very well over the long term. You can wind up with board warping (which can also break solder joints, and internal traces in mult-layered boards), and surface traces lifting over time.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    hepular likes this.
  5. CCK1

CCK1 Tele-Meister

Agreed, the cable is more scarce than the switch. I bought my amp used, and it had neither. I think the cable is just a standard MIDI cable, but every one I tried wouldn't work because the connectors were too large in diameter to fit into that recess in the foot switch. I've read that some SS22's have a problem with an audible "pop" when switching the reverb on or off. Mine does not have that problem, but I leave the reverb on anyway.

6. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

Whether the breakup comes from a pedal or the amp doesn’t really matter if it sounds good, right? Stick with the tone master and save your back and the extra amp weight. There are hundreds of overdrive pedals that can do light breakup. Conversely, there are hundreds of amps that can do light breakup without pedals and weigh 2-3 times as much.

I’d suggest a Boss BD2, Boss OD3, or a Boss OD1X as starting points in your overdrive journey. Boss pedals sound good with tube and solid state amps.

7. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

If you get a chance, I'm curious as to how loud the Quilter gets. Does it get gigging loud?

8. EllenGtrGrl

EllenGtrGrl Tele-Holic

Yep, I would think it does. It's a 100 watt amp. I had to throttle the master volume back quite a bit, to keep from annoying people in the guitar shop.

Dr Improbable likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.