1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

need some advice for my duo (drums and guitar)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by eddiewagner, Mar 17, 2006.

1. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

hello,
    my little duo, the tremulators is getting more and more ready. its me on guitar and my wife on drums (cocktail kit). we are honing our chops i tell you. now we want to work on a real good programm. that will be stones classics a la get your ya yas out, quite a bit of slideguitarplaying and some countryblues/rockabilly/r+b-amalgam. a bit like the white stripes but more old schoolish.
    i have three guitars in my arsenal:
    one for slide , one tuned to open d, one tuned regular, just one step deeper.
    i will sing as well.
    is anyone in teleland doing something similar? got good advice to make the guitarsoloparts not sound too "empty"? i use an analog dealy, a bit chorus and a tremolopedal. the loop-station i own is too much of a danger-factor if we play together......
    thanks a lot in advance!

2. tjalla

tjalla Friend of Leo's

Dunno if this helps...

The Boss Super Octave (OC-3), has an intelligent function (polyphonic) that allows you to set the low octave effect only up to a certain but variable point, depending on where you do set the range knob.

I use this as a quasi-bass effect when playing my acoustic stuff, allows me to have a deep E and A string while playing chords without the octave effect. Its harder to describe that it is to use... try one out ;)

It definitely helps in an acoustic trio I play in - keys, acoustic and drum kit (jazz-style 18" kick)

Trevor

3. RevMike

RevMike Poster Extraordinaire

Lot of that guitar/drums in the rockabilly world. My personal favorite....check out this guy.

http://www.bloodshotbill.com/

Bloodshot is a great act to watch. Except he's not really a duo...he's well....I guess an..."uno". But still really cool. Also check out the Dexter Romweber duo,

http://www.ruraltone.com/dex/

He's pretty cool too.

4. PeteMac

PeteMac Friend of Leo's

Hi Eddy

There are lots of guitar/drums duos around at the moment. A lot of them seem to be in the blues/rock kind of genre'.
    I'm getting ready to do a similar thing soon with a friend of mine, who happens to be a guitarist that also plays drums.
    It seems to me that soloing with just drums behind will always sound a little thin. Most of the duos I've seen or heard lately go for more of a riff style of solo rather than single notes.
    You could check out some of these bands to get some ideas of the sounds they're making: -
    The Mess Hall (Australia)
    The Black Keys (USA)
    The White Stripes (of course!)
    I'm sure there are many others you could find. Live performances are probably a better guide because studio recordings are inevitably multitracked and or touched up (The White Stripes for instance!)

Hope this helps.

5. missfortune

missfortune Tele-Meister

6. eddiewagner

grat stuff....

... and inspirational as weel.
    thanx folks,
    eddie

7. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Weren't Mojo Nixon and Skid Roper a Guitar/Drum duo?

8. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

just heard on the radio...

...that the first five billy bragg albums are out in a boxed set called billy bragg volume one.

lots of his early stuff lends itself perfectly to what you're doing - big, bad-ass guitar banging like keith would approve of. the sound is anything but empty and i think could be pulled off nicely without a bass.

9. Arhooliegeorge

Arhooliegeorge Tele-Meister

Don't have solos. Make it about the song.

Either that or learn to do piano style blues playing with a bassline and a melody. A whole band in one hand baby!

Or find a second 'tarist

Billy Bragg is a big Faces fan so there is a lot of R Wood in his style.

10. Ronetele

Ronetele TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

bass/drums/grrlfriend - yeah, me too!

well, at least we're trying. my grrl plays drums as well as bass and guitar - oops i mean tele - at a early intermediate level. anyway, she just recently started taking drum lessons again to better hone her blues chops so that we can continue to develop a duo thing.

i've seen several great blues duos with drums/guitar and so that's what i have in mind. i mean if the White Stripes can make it??? i think people dig the vibe of the duo, especially when there is a connection between the playesr. i know that i dig it.

also, there is a recent trend towards bass/drum duos, some of them are pretty wild/loud and full. for instance check out Death From Above 1979 (DFA1979). Here's a video of them: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4784112295236589701&q=death+from+above+1979&pl=true. My 19yo son really digs them...

11. NEPATelecaster

NEPATelecaster Tele-Afflicted

Tom and Gary Duo

I'm in a Guitar / Drums only Duo. Our Slogan is

"Rhythmically Acoustic and Percussive Duo"

I use a Godin LGX, which is an electric guitar, but has a L.R. Baggs acoustic pickup. Great Acoustic Sound and easier on the hand all night.

There is occasional riffing, but solos are scarce.

We do everything from Raspberry Beret to Irish Tunes to a medley we call "Guns-n-Stoneses" (Dead Flowers into I used to Love her)

Have fun w/ it, and make everysong your own. You have to, you're only guitar and drums.

We hear all the time "I can't believe you guys actually do THAT song with two guys" THAT'S THE FUN OF IT!

www.tomandgarymusic.com

12. eddiewagner

i think we found the solution!

we tried everything, including cheesy octavers and other stuff.
    here is what works really good:
    i have an old zoom 504 acoustic-simulator. with that sound i play the chorus while singing on my tele into a boss looper. when everything is done, i switch on the loop and switch off the 504 and start my instrumental stuff. that sounds really good and organic.
    the magic is my amp i think, because i can leave a relativley bassy, dry sound on one channel and have a decent lead sound on the other. both channels are connected via a short cable.
    the great thing about the acoustic-simulation sound is, that you can strum basic chords and it sounds full and rich.i think that will do the trick for a while.
    ;)

13. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Yes.

Early in his career George Thorogood & The Destroyers was a 2-piece too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.